Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Grips………
  • filks

…what do you use to stick ’em on with? I’ve always used hairspray but it’s just not working for me this time (Easton bar, yeti speed grips), dunno why

Any suggestions? Or are lock-ons worth paying the extra for?

Thanks in advance….

Special_ized_Jamie

Lock-ons for me every time,

Made the change a few years back would never have it any other way

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lock Ons

Thread closed.

Seggons
    Free Member

renthal do a grip glue I think?

I ride united bmx co nathan grips, animal bike co edwin grips and cult bmx vans grips, and the cult grips are easily the best. The uniteds are SO soft, and the edwins, although faultless, just aren’t as exclusive as the cult grips 😉

Whyte1
    Free Member

GT85 seems like it shouldn’t work but try it it’s amazing

faaz
    Free Member

lock ons are worth the extra any day. Get some ODI’s and they will see you through years to come

beckykirk43
    Free Member

+1 GT85 😛

jackthedog
    Free Member

Lock-ons for me every time,

Lock Ons

lock ons are worth the extra any day.

Agreed. Lock Ons. Never look back.

binners

People use grips that aren’t lock-ons? Why?

Oh… if anyone’s thinking of buying the girly specific Specialized BG lock-ons – DON’T! They’re utter crap! They have one piddling little allen bolt on a really flimsy mount. I took them out of the packaging and thought “they’re not going to last five minutes!”

As it turned out, 5 minutes was being spectacularly over-optimistic! 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

Do try GT85, it works and is quicker to get the grips on and off than lock-ons are.

You just need to lift the edge and spray a bit under when you want to remove them again.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i run my hands on the lock ring. tends to abuse my hands.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Relatively heavy, uncomfortable (as per tomthumb) and expensive compared to good foams.

binners

What do you use for comfort KT?

I’m after some grips for t’other half’s bike. Comfort being number 1 priority. The BG have gone straight in the bin. Worse than useless. She doesn’t get on with the Sunline lock-ons she’s got on. They are very thin.

I’m looking at a set of Ergons but people seem to love them or hate them. Any recommendations gratefully received

Well, I must say, this thread’s a bit of a disappointment so far.
    I would have expected someone to come out with some insults, abuse or accusations of sexual deviancy aimed at those who use the wrong type of grips by now.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

What do you use for comfort KT?

Bontrager xlite £8.99 25g the pair and very comfortable used them for 12 and 24 hr races as well as everyday riding.

z1ppy

ODI lock-on’s for me, nowadays, on all my bikes (though am attempting to get some RF Good & evil onto a dead ODI grip – it’s not going well though). Not a weigh weenies, so foam ones don’t interest me, and I didn’t like the feel of them when they came fitted to a bike I had.

binners

Cheers KT! I’ll get her a set of those. I’ve got Bonty lock-ons on mine as they’re really chunky and comfy. Love ’em!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Relatively heavy,

Pah. So what? 50g more??

uncomfortable (as per tomthumb)

There’s more than one available you know! 🙂

and expensive compared to good foams.

A quick Google gives:

£8
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=277

£9
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_760109_langId_-1_categoryId_165578

And lastly, 50g foam lock ons for £10
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BTOOFLOG/on-one-half-bob-lock-on-foam-grips

So, to summerise, they’re a bit heavier, but don’t move and fall off, and a bit more expensive, but very easy to remove and refit.

🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Binners, I’ve just bought some of these

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=436

I know it says ‘larger hands’ but that’s only the width! I know some grips have too much of a deep pattern (Like Yeti ones) which I don’t like, or are too hard or too thin to be comfy, but these are the nicest I’ve tried
    Or there’s the foam ones I linked to above maybe? 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Lock on grips are about 116g, so quite a bit of difference and at the price foams are a bloody good way to lost a bit of weight from the bike.

Superstar tat – no thanks.

Halfords tat – no thanks.

I don’t need to remove my grips, all I have on my bars are brake levers with split clamps.

To summarise, I don’t like lock on grips.

binners

I tried the Superstar Lock-ons PP. We didn’t get on, so I went back to the Bonty’s. I’ve tried to find a link for them – to order some more myself – but it looks like they’ve stopped making them 🙁

The On-One foam ones look like they may be worth a try though. Thanks!

Janesy
    Free Member

I’ve got some Richey foam grips. Mega comfy and stay on the bars with the help of hairspray. Something I learned when I was 16yrs old.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Superstar tat – no thanks.

Your loss, not mine. I buy stuff that works. If an £8 grip works as well (Better actually) than a £20 one, I’m fine with that. I don’t chuck money away on big brand names ‘just becasue,’ hence I don’t own any Thompson stuff, and am quite happy to go touring on a £194 Carrera…. But that’s just me. 😀

I don’t need to remove my grips,

But lots of people do.
    I imagine you like to have them stay put in the pissing rain though? 😛

No shit, sherlock! Doesn’t make you right though, it’s just an opinion, not a fact… 😉
    ————————————–

The On-One foam ones look like they may be worth a try though. Thanks!

Yeah, I just found those when looking at stuff for this thread. I’m actually quite taken with them too, but I don’t need any grips right now. I imagine they could be very nice actually. 🙂

packer
    Free Member

I have lock ons and they are great. Thinking of going back to old style grips though to save weight…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I imagine you like to have them stay put in the pissing rain though?

My foams stay put no matter what.

No shit, sherlock! Doesn’t make you right though, it’s just an opinion, not a fact..

Exactly where was I stating my opinion as fact?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I never said you did. But that’s how you try and present it, which is what I was pointing out. 🙂

“if you don’t agree with me you MUST be wrong”

Rorschach
    Free Member

Spoke too soon MTGraham…..it just takes a while for the ‘tards to get going.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I never said you did. But that’s how you try and present it, which is what I was pointing out.

OK, show me how (or at best explain why you think) I presented it as fact.

From what I can see it’s more a case of you didn’t like my opinion as it’s not the one you have.

(Rorschach shh I’m keeping MTG entertained).

elaineanne
    Free Member

lock-ons 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

foams. 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

She doesn’t get on with the Sunline lock-ons she’s got on. They are very thin.

Thick sunline ones? That’s what I’ve got and no complaints so far.

Tried foam grips, light, but they slide arround at the first hint or moisture. And they remove all the feeling from the bars, I just kept crashing with them as I couldn’t feel the front wheel!

I use non-lock-ons as well, but wouldn’t bother with foam again.

filks

Er…thanks!

Will try GT85 if no success then lock-ons it is!

elaineanne
    Free Member

just put the lock-ons on, trust me they lock ! 😉

Sundayjumper

I’ve always used hairspray but it’s just not working for me this time (Easton bar, yeti speed grips), dunno why

I had the same thing recently, Specialized grips on some generic alloy bars, I think it was just taking aaaages to dry. Took them on and off a few times until they started to stick and then left them.

The same grips had previously stuck very nicely on some carbon bars. Must be something to do with the surface finish on the bars.

toys19
    Free Member

Love superstar lock ons, yes they are soft and wear a bit, but generally last a couple of years, 8 quid every two years is fine, for lovely comfy secure grippage.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If hairspray doesn’t work, then try re-positionable craft adhesive available from B&Q etc.

jonba
    Free Member

I use lockons on some bikes but bargain basement rubber ones on my commmuter and ESI silcone ones on my nice bike. THe ESI ones are fantastic if you are looking for comfort and really light if you care about weight.

Anyway I use aftershave/window cleaner/isopropyl alcohol/WD40 as applicable.

What you are looking for is something that will provide lubrication and then evapourate once on so that the grips stop slipping. You do need to check that it isn’t going to disolve your grips though.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Grips………’ is closed to new replies.