Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Greece for a cheap holiday, possible.
  • project
    Free Member

Because theyre having a hardtime, hotel occupancy is right down,and theyve stopped heating the swiming pools, is now a good time to go there for a holiday.

crikey
    Free Member

A cheap holiday in other people’s misery.

A quote from 1968, as well as from the Sex Pistols…

project
    Free Member

I wil be spending money, thus supporting threir ecconomy, visiting historic ruins, (their banks) sorry that was a poorly disguised joke, and eating their food.

donsimon
    Free Member

and eating their food.

Indeed you will. 🙁

zimbo
    Free Member

theyve stopped heating the swiming pools

heated pools are for jessies anyway

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think most Greeks would be very happy to see people spending money in their economy. And it is such a beautiful part of the world so why not?

allthepies
    Free Member

What’s a Greek urn ?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

About 20 Drachma a week 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

I thank you…. 😀

justatheory
    Free Member

I went last summer and it was noticeably more expensive than previous visits. I wouldn’t expect it to be cheap because they are having economic problems.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It will be cheap if they are kicked out of the Euro

RichJJ
    Free Member

I had the same thought a few weeks ago. Clearly they didnt. Over 4k for a family of four all inclusive.

chris36860
    Free Member

My inlaws live there for the summer and we visit (mail land) for a couple of weeks every year. It’s got really expensive to eat and shop over the past few years. Amazing country and we won’t stop going as we don’t pay for accommodation.

joeegg
    Free Member

Friends are going in a few weeks time.
    8.5k for 7 people and 2 of them are kids.Not a cheap weeks holiday.

marsdenman
    Free Member

The question was asked on the radio the other day, forgot the name of the expert traveller but, as said above he reckoned it’s a ‘good time’ to visit the mainland – it’s much quieter around the big attractions but, prices are up, and rising, moreso on the islands….. makes sense, when you think about it – as a business you think you’ll be seeing fewer visitors = you increase prices to make your targets (and / or) you realise you could be awash with folk thinking they are on a good deal so take advantage of the situation… happens all over

binners

WackoAK
    Free Member

I went last summer and it was noticeably more expensive than previous visits.

Same for me, some products attract a VAT rate of 23%

jota180
    Free Member

I had the same thought a few weeks ago. Clearly they didnt. Over 4k for a family of four all inclusive.

Travel Agents have already booked the accommodation they think they need and are tied into the prices pretty much.
    You need to book it independently

Corfu usually has the best flight offers
    There’s some great places away from the usual resorts that have some great value accommodation
    Try Arillas in the North maybe? – http://arillas.com/info/apartments

wait4me

Off to Islands in a couple of weeks,travelling independently. From what i’m hearing prices ARE down on previous years. The bad news is seeing lower visitor numbers so demand on accomodation is down. Looking at the online booking sites and it’s very easy indeed to find decent quality double rooms for £25-£35, so expect it’s cheaper still if you just turn up at the port and shop around. You can still eat reasonably if you head off the ‘main drag’

I love it out there and am happy to do my bit for the economy via purchase of Amstel, gyros and cheese pies.

zippykona

I was there when we got kicked out of the ERM in 1990. The pound was worth a fortune after that.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Greece for a cheap holiday, possible.’ is closed to new replies.