Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Gravity dropper users – remote or not?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Do you have the remote version or not? I have the remote but am thinking of swapping to non remote to clear my bars of “clutter” – bad idea?

druidh
    Free Member

Should be easy enough for you to work out by how often you feel the need to change it. If that’s only once/twice per ride, then go for it. I take it it’s an easy enough change to make? Will GD sell you the release knob?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

no its a new seatpost i think from looking on crc. Would just swap with someone if i could

RHSno2
    Free Member

Remote. Why not?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

eh?

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m actually thinking of doing the same (buying a non-remote i950 for a new bike instead of transferring a remote i900 from another bike). Mostly to avoid the fugly cabling as well as bar clutter but then I keep reading people that bought the non-remote wishing they got the remote version.

I currently rarely use it when I’m already on a technical section (as in I drop it on a smooth section before) so reckon I can get away with a brief one-hander moment but thinking I might regret it if I start doing trails I’m not familiar with.

lardman
    Free Member

well… i’ve got a Maverick (non remote) and i reckon i use it about 3-4 times on a ride, and dont really have any problems with a quick reach under the saddle (ahem).
    remote = more to go wrong, break, hit with knee, smash etc:

when you’re used to it, it’s real quick to pop up and down.

jsinglet

I’ve got the remote version and I definitely use it at times when I wouldn’t want to take my hands of the bars. I don’t think I’d use a non-remote one nearly as much.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I went non-remote as I really think the cabled ones look messy!

stumpyjon

I’ve got a remote Joplin and wouldn’t have it any other way. Managed to route the cable under the BB with all the other cables and then up behind the seatpost so it doesn’t look too bad.

Definitely use it a lot more because of the remote.

MisterCrud
    Free Member

I’ve got remote on my Maverick…love it, but it shreds the cable every 3 months.

Rickos
    Free Member

I too often find myself on a bit of descent where I’ve forgotten to put it down and wouldn’t want to take my hands off the bars. So, despite the fugly extra cables and stuff I’ll stick with my remote.

ahwiles
    Free Member

non-remote here…

(it’s cheaper, and less clutter on the bars)

it took a few rides to get the hang of fiddling with the nubbin while i’m rolling up to a steep tricky bit, but i got the hang of it, and if i can, anyone can.

GrahamA
    Free Member

Remote version here.

Perhaps the question should be do you adjust the saddle height before descending or during descending?

I like being able to tune the hight a bit while I’m riding.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Shameless plug – I hve a non remote GD in the classifieds ➡

cheers_drive

I’ve had the remote multi-drop version a few weeks and now I’ve set it up in the right place on the bars it’s a doddle to use and the remote is pretty useful. Especially on the 1″ drop setting when I am likely to just to drop the saddle height whilst riding to help me move around the bike more on twisty singletrack or technical sections. I’ve only used the full 4″ drop once and if I need to drop it that much I would often would want to scope out the section first so would stop first and the remote is therefore not as useful.
    And to be honest the post is so ugly why worry about an extra cable?

RHSno2
    Free Member

My point is why have something that you can change the height of your saddle but only be able to if you take your hand of the bars? Having the remote makes it part of the whole gear changing feeling. Drop a couple of gears, drop saddle, Up another few gears, uphill, pop up saddle. Its really good.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Gravity dropper users – remote or not?’ is closed to new replies.