Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Gps watches are they worth it?
  • trusslebabes
    Free Member

Just looking at whether these would be useful as a watch generally and then when out walking/cycling having the gps. Some seem to be compatible as a bike trip computer too, if so how does that work do you get a mount for bars and noggin for wheel? The one I like look of the most is garmin forerunner 310xt would I need to buy the map software separately?

Any info appreciated thanks

TexWade
    Free Member

I have a forerunner and as a navigation tool it’s pretty useless since can’t show a map. The screen is also so small even if it did it would be next to useless. Main feature of these things is to track rather than navigate (and show speed etc). Still have always liked the look of the suunto units but have rad the Gps functionality is not great.

hugor
    Free Member

I have a garmin 405cx which I hardly use. The battery life is the main issue. Not useful as a watch as you have to charge it every couple of days. The battery life when using gps was too short for long rides and it would switch off.
    The gps receiver was weak and it would frequently lose signal.
    It was an expensive dud purchase for me 😥

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you’ve got a Smartphone you’re better off spending your money on an extra battery pack, particularly if it’s for tracking rather than navigating. Some of the apps available are ace

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Thanks people, you may well have saved me some money there 😀 might get something else instead it is my birthday on monday after all 8)

dobo
    Free Member

I think the garmin forerunner 210 is a good watch, i use it mainly for logging my runs but also has basic intervals. You can switch it from pace to show speed for the bike. For running its good for pacing against hr zones or your pace p/km of course. accuracy and reliability as good as edge 705 so far, better hr strap too.

you may also want to look at the new timex run trainer, which is fully waterproof.
    if you want a watch for navigation then dont get a watch, get a cycle gps..
    310xt get good reviews too

as a watch the 210 is normal enough in size and looks but will need regular charging.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Gps watches are they worth it?’ is closed to new replies.