• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by benz.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • GPS Tracking Options
  • wallace1492
    Free Member

Don’t have a GPS phone, so what are my options for tracking my rides? As cheap as possible…

uplink
    Free Member

I’d look for something 2nd hand on ebay

A Garmin Forerunner 301 would be ideal and you should pick one up for less than £50

wallace1492
    Free Member

Just want something that will upload route after, not needing it to find my way (much prefer maps!)

uplink
    Free Member

you won’t get much help finding your way with a 301 – so it’ll be perfect then

I used to have one in my Camelbak for that very reason

wallace1492
    Free Member

Cheers uplink, how was battery life? A few mates use Endomondo and it drains their battery in a couple of hours.

uplink
    Free Member

Battery life is 12-13 hrs, nearer 10 when it’s really cold

soma_rich
    Free Member

Cheap as possible? Garmin Etrex second hand for £30. done.

thomthumb
    Free Member

garmin geko works well too.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Etrex is no use. I want to log where I ride, then download the route to the net and share it. I do not need a direction finder. But thanks for the post.

Someone (BoardinBob) has a wee box that tracks where you are then can download to PC and Net and it overlays it on a map.

warpcow
    Free Member

One of those IGotU things? It’s just a little box with an on/off button. I’ve been logging my rides with one for a few months now. Just open the log in the software that follws with it and then export as a .gpx to Endomondo/whatever. The battery seems to last forever, and the memory is more than enough for a week’s worth of riding.

djglover
    Free Member

Forerunner 101 is what I use for running. dead easy to use, better battery life than a etrek or geko IME

andytherocketeer

Etrex is no use. I want to log where I ride, then download the route to the net and share it.

Errr? AFAIK all eTrex allow you to download the track to PC and then you can do what you like with it.

The most basic eTrex H needs the really expensive serial cable (and for many, probably a USB-Serial adapter too). The others connect via USB. All of the ones with an “x” in the name can save the complete track to microSD card, which makes life a bit easier to transfer.

Not sure about the Geko series, though.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Warpcow, that is the boy!!

Steve_B

Etrex is no use. I want to log where I ride

Uhh – the basic etrex does exactly that – its what I use it for. Upload to Connect Garmin. If you wish you can then export to any mapping site that will take a GPX file.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81397694

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/steverb_11/b6k4j4pd3ahe8sbj

I never use it to follow a route. It has the advantage that it is tough, battery life is long and it gives OS co-ordinates for the occasions you might be slightly misplaced on your route

Need the newer H ones for decent reception tho – older one didn’t work in forest.

edit – too slow !!

Mine came with a USB cable so not the most basic then.

timmys

Etrex is no use. I want to log where I ride, then download the route to the net and share it. I do not need a direction finder. But thanks for the post.

I’m not going to hunt round for the details but I’d be incredibly surprised if any garmin gps ever sold lacked the ability to download a track to your PC.

EDIT: Beaten like a red headed step child. Twice.

geoffj

I could do you a Garmin Edge 205 in excellent nick for £60 posted

BoardinBob

Someone (BoardinBob) has a wee box that tracks where you are then can download to PC and Net and it overlays it on a map.

Yes, the iGotU.

Go for the GT-600 version as it has motion detection and it knows when you’re stopped. Available for £50 online.

The cheaper version doesn’t do motion detection so “average speed” is impacted if you stop a lot.

Best thing I’ve bought in recent times. If it broke I’d replace it immediately.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Cheers Bob, GT-600 ordered. Might bend your ear about best way to use it next time I see you….

carball
    Free Member
    benz
    Free Member

The iGotu gt-600…..any recommended sellers?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘GPS Tracking Options’ is closed to new replies.