Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • GPS for Ipod touch?
  • duckman

Is there a os map app for the touch?

flatfish
    Free Member

memory map has just come out a few weeks ago

muggomagic

the free ones wouldn't as they download the maps which is no use unless you happen to be within range of wireless network at all times. the memory map ones might work as I think they store the maps on the actual device.
    I would have thought it would be far more practical and cheaper to buy a paper map of the area though.

Dibbs
    Free Member

£20 for MM, but you still need to find a compatible GPS receiver.

GrahamS

the free ones wouldn't as they download the maps which is no use unless you happen to be within range of wireless network at all times

The MotionX GPS Lite app is free and lets you download areas of the map onto your iPhone/iPod so you don't need a network connection. Doesn't have true OS but it does have the OpenCycleMap.org maps

But I suspect the main problem is that the iPod Touch doesn't have a GPS chip in it!

muggomagic

I assumed the OP wanted to just use whichever app as a map. Motion X lite might be ok for that.
    What mobile do you have duckman? If you have a mobile that has a symbian operating system then viewranger is a great bit of software.

duckman

Alas,I realise now the touch is not gps compatible.I want a back up to map and compass as I am doing a lot of micro nav lately and wanted something to check my mapwork.I have a nokia 6700 classic which unlike the 6700 slider is not compat with viewranger.Thanks all!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not entirely true Duckman. If you jailbreak your ipod Touch you can install an app that allows you to use a bluetooth GPS with any map app. (I also have a spare bt gps for sale 🙂 )

Have a look at THIS

Eccles
    Free Member

One thing that's quite useful for mapping on a touch is the screenshot – press and hold the main button and then press the power button and it'll take a full snapshot of the screen and drop it into photos as "saved photos". Scroll save, scroll, save etc

I've planned out a few walking routes like this when in a wifi-ed pub on holiday and found myself short of the right OS.

Will have a look at that motionX thing though, sounds useful.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘GPS for Ipod touch?’ is closed to new replies.