• This topic has 103 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mt.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)
  • Got any plans to see the TDF in Yorshire ?
  • Tracker1972
    Free Member

Is anyone else planning on parking up the night before in a campervan to bag a spot? Watch it on TV as well as live?

psling
    Free Member

never having seen a tour stage live I do believe its not just the riders flashing past. there is also the caravan in front. and at he rear .

It’s not a great deal more. Several police and marshal outriders precede several sponsors/team/officials cars precede (maybe) a break-away then the peleton and then a few more sponsors/team cars. If you get by a KoM or a Sprint finish there is more likelihood of sponsors handouts. Most time spent getting into position and waiting is best spent mixing with other spectators; sharing some banter and having a laugh.

If you want more out of it get to a start or finish town, there will be loads going on and it’ll be a lot more involving for a much longer time. And, a lot more crowded!

hjghg5
    Free Member

I live in leeds and have the monday booked off work but haven’t planned much more than that. I have friends who live around holmfirth so will see what their plans are for stage 2 and go along with that I think. There are tentative plans to dump a vehicle in advance then cycle out to it on the day.

righog
    Free Member

One option I have just been offered is to share a pitch here…

Harewood house festival of cycling

Might be fun.

Edric64
    Free Member

The tour is great -in France fighting for free hats ,keyrings and Haribo with old French ladies in the rain on a hill is one memory from a couple of years ago .A stage finish is a great multinational day out

Scapegoat

Try this for a festival of camping and cycling, bands, showers, saunas, beer at Rugby Club prices, big screen coverage and route side location.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-letourfest-2014-glcamping-cycling-music-idyllic-surroundings

righog
    Free Member

Thanks Scapegoat ( It’s not just me that has threads with no replies 😀 )

Camping link from Scapegoat

The more I think about the more i like the idea of a b and b or hotel. and perhaps a day pass to one of the festival type thingy’s.

MrSmith
    Free Member

dont make the rookie error of watching on a fast flat or downhill unless its near the finish, always the climbs.
    theres a reason the alpine climbs are packed with spectators and the descents deserted.

velofest
    Free Member

Thanks for posting about VeloFest. We’re the organisers and if you require any further information please don’t hesitate to contact us via phone 08006785724 or email info@velofest.co.uk.

Whilst we might initially appear expensive, for what we’re offering we are very competitively priced as we are more than just a campsite. We will be announcing more cycling related and participation entertainment in the near future.

For full details see out website: http://www.velofest.co.uk

Tom Hawkins (Event Director) & Alex Wainman (Event Manager)

40mpg

I’m going to spend 3 days in Northern France / Belgium and watch the cobbles section, as its easier to get to from the deep south than Yorkshire.

And the beers better 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

We’ve been planning for this. We’ve a farm just on the outskirts of Harrogate and have converted one of the fields into a campsite already. We’ve organised shower rooms, toilet blocks, electric hookups and a guide for the route and best places to watch the Tour from the roadside. We’re sold out. We had 200 spaces, sold out to all sorts of folk, loads from the USA, loads from Belgium and Denmark.. Seems the word got around reet quick like….
    We’re looking forward to this..
    I’ve ridden the Masham through Skipton route 3 times so far, even though the council have been resurfacing the roads, it’s been a great route choice with the only downside being the Skipton to Harrogate road being so dull.. Should be a great finish and evenings entertainment…all on West Park in the town (near the Stray)
    😀

hora
    Free Member

I can stay at the inlaws nearby and cycle to it I guess. Doesit go up Elland bypass/down Halifax Old rd?

**** lining peoples pockets taking advantage of fans 😉

Clover

We live in Tod. Plan for Day one is to ride over on road bikes and stay in Reeth the night before, and watch it in the morning then ride home.

Planning an off-road route from Tod to where we’ve buried the beer for Day 2. Then back to Tod Park where there’ll be a large screen to watch the finish.

A friend is getting the briefings and the organisers are expecting an additional 4 million people to visit Yorkshire for the Tour.

I’ve only seen one big race – the Tour of Flanders which goes up the same cobbled climbs nearly every year. Houses on the route build nice platforms in their gardens so that they can see over the heads of the people 5 deep over the garden wall.

br
    Free Member

Based on us coming down from the Borders, it’ll be somewhere accessible by MTB between Hawes and Reeth I imagine.

rockhopperbike

heading over to Oxenhope road on the bridalways to doss down for the night I guess

oldboy
    Free Member

I think Holme Moss could be a bit busy on the day 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

We’re planning an SAS-style covert watching post on Holme Moss. We’re going to go deep undercover around a week before, lay low near the best viewing spot, then pop out – probably right in the middle of the road – minutes before the riders pass.

The logistics of watching the climb on Holme Moss should be ‘interesting’ I think. Mostly the side of the road consists of sloping gorse-covered moorland with added armco and wire fences. God help anyone trying to park up there, riding or walking’s the hot ticket I reckon. Have a look at google street view and you’ll see what I mean.

Bear in mind that compared to the climbs in the Alps, Holme Moss is a pimple of a thing, so try not to blink or you’ll miss it. That said, looking down from the top should be good.

oldboy
    Free Member

A good assessment, BWDog, but you wouldn’t believe the number of people I’ve already met who’ve expressed the vague idea of just strolling up there on the day – and that’s just the locals! 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Oh, I totally believe you. I am local btw, on the Derbyshire side of the road. I’m thinking of leaving the bike behind walking out the front door and maybe bivvying up above Crowden the night before with some nice wine and food then moseying on over in the morning. I reckon the key to the thing is to make it part of a bigger day, maybe a stop and gawp point on a longer ride or part of a walk/bivi trip. Plenty of potential for that.

We have another plan as well, but that one’s a secret squirrel exercise 🙂

rickt
    Free Member

As I’m based around Cragg vale / hebden me and the mates are just thinking we will get put on the mtb bikes early morning and head towards somewhere around crag maybe….. Loads of options for us getting there via roads paths and biddleways…

Thing is.. We know it’s going to be busy… Question is how busy!!!!!!!!

however…… Then one part of us thinks is it best to leave the bikes at home and walk it because we may struggle to stay near the front having to watch the bikes……..

twoniner
    Free Member

We’ve booked a Mahoosive cottage/barn for the week in Reeth. Goes past the front door by all accounts.

hora
    Free Member

Im going to run alongside the riders naked with my cock slapping hars against my thighs and arms held aloft

oldboy
    Free Member

however…… Then one part of us thinks is it best to leave the bikes at home and walk it because we may struggle to stay near the front having to watch the bikes……..

Entirely agree, bikes could be a real millstone on the day.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Im going to run alongside the riders naked with my cock slapping hars against my thighs and arms held aloft

Join the queue 🙂

I live at the bottom of Keighley Road in Hebden so it makes sense to ride up to the weather station on Cock Hill and watch them come up from Oxenhope. But I’m juggling the needs of my crew. I’ll have cycling mates who’ll want to ride up, my Dad who’s not a cyclist but would be happy making the 6 mile walk, and then a 6 year-old who wouldn’t be able to do the walk or the ride. Plus a wife and a two year-old who I think will be staying at home and watching them come past our house.

righog
    Free Member

Hebdencyclist, I have been trying all day to book somewhere to stay in Hebden ( well west Yorshire really) on the 4th and 5th…A long shot but do you know of any worth trying ?

ChrisE
    Free Member

Live about 1Km from the aforementioned caving hut at Helwith Br. (many people on here know our house). It is 1 hours road ride to the route (Kilnsey/Kettlewell) or 2/3hours MTB ride. I think we will have many people here on the Fri night!

I know the farmer at Cray (the steep climb near Buckden) who has set up a website for camping and viewing right alongside the route on the steep hill

C

ChrisE
    Free Member

BTW all the B&Bs around here were booked up within 7 days of the route being announced. You will be doing well to get anything beyond camping (or staying with friends!) now

C

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Hebdencyclist, I have been trying all day to book somewhere to stay in Hebden ( well west Yorshire really) on the 4th and 5th…A long shot but do you know of any worth trying ?

There’s b&b at the White Lion, The Crown Inn and the Robin Hood. If no joy at these, try the camp site at The New Delight. It’s out of the way but you’ll have both road and MTB options for getting to the Tour route from there. And it has the advantage of being next to a pub 🙂

trout
    Free Member

the Buck in Buckden was full within 2 hours

A friend is getting the briefings and the organisers are expecting an additional 4 million people to visit Yorkshire for the Tour.

Just googled the population of Yorkshire as of 2012 it was 5.3 million
    that a lot of extra folks visiting

righog
    Free Member

Thanks Hebden 😀

As far as I could see the Crown were auctioning the dates 🙄

I thought I was in at the white Lion but the conformation e mail was just a tease.

I will check out the Robin Hood.

Chris, yes I am slow of the mark however I get my years work schedule in Jan, so was not sure I would be around.

It’s all good though I have a couple of backup options. Also My mate Ted will be living there soon ( If you ride MTB there you will meet him sooner or later 😀 , we are going to miss him )

I am really looking forward to it, we have also decided with all this talking about it to do the routes at sometime before the big the big day.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

There are 2 Robin Hoods and they are both on the route. You want the one in Peckett Well (small village above Hebden)

righog
    Free Member

Cheers again.

They are the ones Auctioning the room ! trouble with that is entries end in Feb so gives less time to find a back up.

Robin Hood Pecket well

ChrisE
    Free Member

Surely Pecket Well is on the long downhill and they will be going through there at 80KmPH+!

C

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Surely Pecket Well is on the long downhill and they will be going through there at 80KmPH+!

Ride 3 miles up to the weather station and watch them coming *up* the hill. And don’t call me Shirley.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Been an absolute nightmare this last summer getting the ski boat up the Dales, all the bloody cyclists on the narrow roads riding tdf route sportives, it’s only going to get worse this spring. We’ll be waterskiing at our Lake nr Hawes as per usual on the day. We’ve already been told by tdf people what time they want us skiing on the lake for their heli camera fly over. watch on telly for my bare arse.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Been an absolute nightmare this last summer getting the ski boat up the Dales, all the bloody cyclists on the narrow roads riding tdf route sportives, it’s only going to get worse this spring. We’ll be waterskiing at our Lake nr Hawes as per usual on the day. We’ve already been told by tdf people what time they want us skiing on the lake for their heli camera fly over. watch on telly for my bare arse.

It must be hell for you. Hell, I say.

speckledbob
    Free Member

I’m going to try Cragg Vale. It’s a long enough climb so there should be some room. Probably bike over unless lots of none cyclists decide to come with me. If so we’ll park as close as possible and then walk. Be nice to see the rest in a boozer, maybe the Robin Hood or the Hinchcliff. Presumably these two places will have it on.

I am very excited. I may also do a naked run and would definately be up for a mass streak.:)
    (TBF a solo streak up Cragg Vale would not be dissimilar to just standing naked in the croud with the speed they will be going)

velofest
    Free Member

Until next Sunday (12th January) we’re offering you 10% off our camping & motorhome pitches at VeloFest.

The discount allows 4 people to camp for only £135 (only £11.25 per person per night if you stay for 3 nights!) and only £171 for a motorhome or caravan (only £14.25 per person per night for 3 nights!).

Just enter STWORLD in the discount code box when you’re in the cart.

If you have any queries please call us on 0800 678 5724 or email info@velofest.co.uk

Alex

Spud

An absolute gent of a mate has managed to get us both in the Knaresborough Caravan site for the weekend. We’ll no doubt be riding to see the race but it’s also my 40th on the Sunday, so I’m gonna have a blinder regardless.

rickt
    Free Member

In regards to the Robin Hood and hunchcliffe, both will be rammed, more so the robin

I’m expecting it to be busy over the moors, but there’s plenty of miles to spread the crowds…… So I think…..but who knows…..

One thing to note is there’s hardly any parking on the last half of Cragg road…. Plus hearsay is all parked cars need to be moved too………..where is the question though..

In regards to hotels.. Just had a look online and there’s a few showing spaces on the edge of halifax. (All rideable to the route/s… Also you can camp on the moors too if you wanted next to the route.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Got any plans to see the TDF in Yorshire ?’ is closed to new replies.