Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Gorrick open v masters
  • dobo
    Free Member

Why are there often only 30-40 masters racers compared to 100+ in open? Theres always some rapid open cat racers. surprised more people dont join masters to get a bit of space racing and to get more out of their day with the earlier starts.
    i’m thinking about going masters but my age is not far of vet and not too fast so would come near the back in masters.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Why are there often only 30-40 masters racers compared to 100+ in open?

Maybe this is the reason 🙂

i’m thinking about going masters but my age is not far of vet and not too fast so would come near the back in masters.

Don’t forget that there is also the SuperMasters category at the Gorricks, same age group but an extra lap. That dilutes the entry for Masters.

Open has always been pretty much the biggest category at Gorricks. No age restriction so far more people are eligible for Open than for Masters.

Jason
    Free Member

I prefer racing in Masters than Open. Unless you get a good start in Open I always found the first lap a procession. With the Masters I tend to spend the first lap just hanging on! This year I have been racing the Gorricks in Sport, partly because the late start time has suited family stuff better (wife races Expert at the same time), but I also ‘enjoy’ the extra lap.

The pace at the front of Open and Masters tends to be similar, but Open does have a much bigger spread of riders. I would imagine the early start time of Masters, and that maybe only 30% of the Open field are the right age is probably why more don’t enter Masters.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Gorrick open v masters’ is closed to new replies.