Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Gore Phantom softshell …how much do you use yours?
  • liquid1000
    Free Member

I really fancy one of these but wondering if it’s just going to be to warm for most of the year? Would appreciate folks experience of how much they use their own.
    Ta

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t have one but even a thin softshell is for winter only for me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t have one but even a thin softshell is for winter only for me.

neninja
    Free Member

I use mine from September/October through until March/April.

I tend to layer under it in Winter – l/s merino with a short sleeve jersey. I then just remove the sleeves and lower the zip if I get too warm.

When it’s warmer I’ll wear a thin short sleeve jersey under it.

It gets plenty of use for 2/3 of the year.

Cheezpleez

I’ve got the old N2S one which I believe is a bit thinner / cooler than the new ones. It’s superb. I wear it virtually every ride from autumn to spring. You can wear it on it’s own or with a layer or two underneath. You can partially unzip the sleeves to vent it or take them off completely and it’s fine for an hour or so in proper rain or pretty much indefinitely if it’s just a bit damp. Best bit of cycling kit I’ve ever bought. I think the new ones are pretty versatile too from what people say.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Actually my post above is mince, got confused.

sputnik
    Free Member

Best cycling top ever.

Kevevs
    Free Member

loads, It’s one of the best bits of bike kit I’ve ever bought and I’m poor. good for the winter we’ve just had and just chop off the arms for rest of year.

jimification
    Free Member

Really good windstopper, I use mine a lot. With one Long sleeve base layer under it’s good down to about 2 or 3 degrees. Once the temperature gets above 8-10 degrees, I find it’s too warm (though you can always take the arms off, as above).

My only real crit is that the cut of the thing is all a bit shapeless / baggy from the chest down.

It’s one of those things that’ll last a long time though, a very good piece of kit to own.

yoshimi

Used loads – best bit of cycling clothing Ive ever bought, versatile, practical and works!

cheers_drive

I have the newer version and it gets used all winter on the road with a ls merino underneath, I think I’ve only taken the arms off twice so one of the other Gore windstopper tops could have done the job.
    For off road I generally run too hot so tend not to use it, instead I use an old Pearl Izumi tope which has zip of arms, it’s not quite windproof and definatly not shower proof but suits my needs better.
    It is a nice fit and good quality although I would like a zip pocket on it.

Shackleton

The new one is a major dissapointment if you ever used the old one.

If you never used the old one then the new one is probably a good option for making you miserably sweaty in the cooler 3/4 of the year.

Having looked at the Altura (or endura?) transformer and convert jackets I think that’s where my money would go. Same idea but better execution for UK riding in my opinion.

billyboy
    Free Member

Never got on with mine. Seemed to make me cold no matter what.

Now use a Polaris ????? equivalent and I’m well pleased

plumber
    Free Member

I have 2 versions of the Mountain Hardwear Transition T – the original one is quite think and good down to -8 ish

the other is good through to +12

I wear these more than my gore phantom (which is good but has gone distinctly ragged looking this last 6 months

stanley

Excellent bit of kit.
    When my old N2S wore out, I bought a Phantom. Different, but still superb.

Just bought my second Phantom….. Winstanley’s have them reduced from £125 to £72

boltonjon

The most versatile and most used bit of cycling kit i own – brilliant and well worth the high price tag

bonzodog
    Free Member

+1 on what nearly everyone has said!

Great bit of kit from Autumn to Spring.

liquid1000
    Free Member

Cheers everyone clearly marmite!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Gore Phantom softshell …how much do you use yours?’ is closed to new replies.