Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Gore N2S Phantom Plus 2 – alternatives??
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

My Gore N2S Phantom Plus 2 is looking a little tired. Its been great, effective in almost any conditions.

Is there a more recent equivalent?

cyclistm
    Free Member

bump for the weekenders

Shackleton

Not that I’ve been able to find, I’m desperate too. Mine seems to have more repair than original now! The newer phantom appears to be made of binliners in terms of breathability and styled to fit around a beer gut.

Having spoken to the Gore people they binned the N2S range because most people were too stuck in their ways about layering to believe that it would work. They had lots of complaints that it was too hot (people wearing it as a midlayer under a waterproof and over a thermal in spring!) and people just didn’t get the idea of only needing 1 item of clothing to cover your top half in.

So because of the stupid, pig headed, reactionary goons who inhabit this planet, those of us who bother to think and try new ideas lost one of the greatest pieces of clothing for 95% of non-summer time British riding. Grrrr.

Sorry, I’ve wanted to get that out for a while.

If you do find a replacement please let me know!

P

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    inigomontoya
    Free Member

Agreed, mine has been brilliant, bring back n2s!

br
    Free Member

Mine is very tired, and needed a new zip late last year – trouble is that the new version seem a lot more/warmer. Wore it today.

What about the Endura version?

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=123&prod_id=477

cyclistm
    Free Member

I was rather hoping you would say one of the Gore jerseys in the probikekit sale would fit the bill.

Looks like I’ll have to repair my current jersey

jwmlee
    Free Member

Phantom II is an excellent jacket. Worn it in all four seasons. Last summer I wore it next to my skin without the arms. This winter I have been in -5C with a merino base layer underneath. Superb.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s not the only garment you can do that with, not by a long shot.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Had an N2S which I loved, now got Phantom2, still wear it N2S, it’s fine, slightly warmer but also slightly more showerproof, maybe tougher too.

Last summer I wore it next to my skin without the arms. This winter I have been in -5C with a merino base layer underneath. Superb.

This ^^^^ except don’t wear it in the summer but pretty much late autumn to early spring. Great jacket.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

have used a phantom 2 for a couple of years now. I use it for most riding except the few months when it is warm enough to wear a short sleeve jersey. It works in freezing conditions with a baselayer, and the rest of the time just on its own.

I find it plenty breathable, and am well known as someone who suffers with perspiration.

scruff
    Free Member

Hijack-

I have a N2S jacket with zip off sleeves which I dont use and have only used it for comuting, grey / black / white, slim fit XL. Email in profile if interested.

damitamit
    Free Member

I’ve got the same but in Small (don’t use it anymore), if you’re interested.

sputnik
    Free Member

Go on Al, give us some good alternatives, please.

My favourite piece of cycling clothing by far. Mine is also a good few years old now (4?) , zipper lost on my one sleeve, have just sown it on now and still going strong.

njee20
    Free Member

Having spoken to the Gore people they binned the N2S range because most people were too stuck in their ways about layering to believe that it would work. They had lots of complaints that it was too hot (people wearing it as a midlayer under a waterproof and over a thermal in spring!) and people just didn’t get the idea of only needing 1 item of clothing to cover your top half in.

That’s a shame. Does feel a bit strange not going for a base layer, but I tend to wear mine on the MTB (not enough pockets for road), and it’s always warm enough!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Gore N2S Phantom Plus 2 – alternatives??’ is closed to new replies.