Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • gore bike wear
  • claudie

Has anyone got one of their active shell jackets ( especially the contest )?

How does it compare to a soft shell, would it work in the winter with a decent mid layer underneath? Does it pack down?

Or should I just get the phantom and not worry about how small it packs down

Thanks

ojom
    Free Member

***non shop head on***

i am becoming a total GoreWhore and so is Druidh.

its becoming a case of what not to buy in the range rather than what to buy.

The contest is pretty damn nice although so is the phantom… what you need to do is go and try some on and see what you like and what feels good.

I just got some 3/4 fusions in camouflage. they are quite simply the coolest things ever made in the world. ever. like forever and ever. n

Try the Cosmo WS as well BTW – its my default top layer for everything including the pub.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

I’ve got a tool (and know how to use it) – top piece of kit went through last winter with it – less cold day worn next to the skin – cold days short sleeve thermal compression top – very cold days Darmart thermal underneath – rode in all weather rarely needed a waterproof – coldest temp was -11 (windchill -25)

Bunnyhop

I rate all Gore stuff highly.
    In fact I've still got my first Gore jacket ( 10 years old now) which is still going strong.

RichPenny
    Free Member

The phantom is the best bit of biking gear I own. I wouldn't think it'd be as waterproof as an active shell, but unless it's pissing down I wouldn't worry. Worn mine all year round, have a gilet in the same material, thinking of buying another phantom….

fontmoss
    Free Member

i really rate gore stuff, not hung up on marketing, attention to fit and a sensible range plus the stuff lasts.

Joe

Im with the bikechain. I can't stop buying it, i think its all fantastic. I want one of everything.

I just got some 3/4 fusions in camouflage. they are quite simply the coolest things ever made in the world. ever. like forever and ever. n

Really, something so gopping can be cool? Or is it that they are so uncool, they've come right back round again to cool? Pray tell, I'm lost.

(their practical capabilitities are of course irrelevant)

vinnyeh

As with the above, Phantom is the best piece of cycling clothing I own. I'm not sure what the advantages of active shell are other than packability, but I suspect it might lose heat faster than the softshell.

Actually, there seems to be huge product overlap with Gore stuff- maybe each item has a specific functionality, but I'm buggered if I can see much difference between a lot of the bits.

ojom
    Free Member

ahh vinneyh you need to see the 'motivation' table….

the devil is in the detail.

and fbb – they are both deeply uncool and cool at the same time. its like an oxymoron, or an enigma. like TJ but without the hub gears.

cinnamon_girl

Another 'Gore Whore' here. Really well made, does what it's supposed to do and lasts for years.

However, I have a complaint to make …

The ladies selection has become considerably smaller 🙁

I just love those camo 3/4 trousers but they are men's and I have hips! And the matching camo gilet, how cool is that? But the price is not cool – £85 🙄

Kramer
    Free Member

I've got some shorts and t-shirts from them, three years old and counting, and still as good as new.

Algore
    Free Member

Hi Cinnamon Girl. Don't worry. The ladies range grows every year. Its just that not all shops can carry the full range. We very almost bought out the ladies Camo vest. But sadly there just wasn't the custom for it.

I would go for either the Phantom or the Contest Soft shell over the Contest Active Shell. Think most UK riders will find Soft Shell just works better for their needs. Though Active Shell is more packable.

Glad people are liking our gear. I certainly like working for the company!

cinnamon_girl

Algore – whilst I have your attention, hopefully, could I just mention that the sizing of the ladies jackets doesn't take into account those of us average-sized but with "child-bearing hips".

I have a very old Gore Brooklyn soft shell which has been fantastic but was needing to be replaced. The newer jackets seemed to be aimed at stick insects!

woodsman
    Free Member

Check that YKK zips are used before buying, I noticed on the summer stuff that those crappy zips that Endura use have entered the Gore range.

I was looking at a camo soft shell jacket today, feels real nice on, just undecided if I can carry off the camo look. It did have proper YKK zips BYW!

cinnamon_girl

woodsman – I tried on the Gore camo jacket but it didn't fit. I think it looks great! Just wish there was a girlie version 🙁

woodsman
    Free Member

I think that's my dilema – it could just be a bit too girly for me!

cinnamon_girl

No way but I wouldn't go for the trousers as well, that would be a bit OTT 🙂

woodsman
    Free Member

That WOULD be so wrong! 😀

Algore
    Free Member

Hi Cinamon Girl-
    The Brookly jacket was a lovely bit of kit which has now been replaced by the Power Soft Shell or the Fusion Soft Shell jackets. Both of which should have a relatively roomy waist line. But we do a big mix of jackets, basically anything starting with an 'X' (Xenon) will the super skimpy road fit, 'O' (Oxygen or Ozon) will be skimpy road/xc, 'P' and 'C's will be regular cut (Power, Phantom, Path, Countdown, Contest). 'F' will be pretty loose and Alp X will be designed for sinewy Mountain Men (or ladies).

Hope this helps.
    Alex

nbt

Mrs NBT bought me the contest jacket, it's great. packs down nice and small, keeps me dry and warm, pretty breathable.

meeeee
    Free Member

algore – (i'm assuming you work for Gore? if not then ignore this!)

I love the phantom jacket, but it would be even better with a zip pocket imho (either on the back in one of the existing pockets, or on the front) for keys / money.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Seeing as we're pestering Algore, I'd like to point out that the softshell gilet (function?) I have is ace, but seemed to have been withdrawn from sale in the UK? As above, the front pocket is a big bonus for the mp3 player.

Algore
    Free Member

Happy to be pestered.

Agree that front pockets are ace on a MTB but rubbish on a road bike! As the Phantom was a in between jacket we went without but other jackets do have chest pockets (Contest, Tool, Cosmo and Alp X) So we mix it up a little. Also by not having the zipped pocket we were able to keep the price a little lower. We used to do a jacket which had a chest pocket and zipped middle rear plus some other tweaks(Complete) but the £30 extra was just too much for people to justify it over the Phantom.

The Function stiil exists. We now do it in White, Black and Camo. Shops should be getting it in about now. We only make it as part of our winter range. Hence it hasn't been in shops recently. Now it's getting cold it should be all over the place!

woodsman
    Free Member

YKK zips?

jojoA1
    Free Member

YKK zips?

The most ubiquitous make of zip. The only other make of zip I've ever seen was called 'Riri', all others are YKK.

Gore stuff is ace, the only not so good item I've had of theirs was a light windproof gilet that was too short in the body for cycling and all my jerseys (including gore ones) stuck out the bottom, but I think they've been re-designed now.

woodsman
    Free Member

The Endura stuff is unbranded, and I noticed the summer Gore stuff had these zips in this year – I didn't buy as a result. The two Endura tops I bought with the cheapo zips, both failed!

Algore
    Free Member

Dont worry. Our zips are all tested. Though we have started using a specially designed zip pull which we made to make it easier to grip. No branding on it, but a unique zip for us, despite actually being made by that ubiquitous brand!

If a zip does fail take it back. We do get a few (a very small number) of failings, sometimes our fault sometimes outside our control, and if it's ever faulty we'll replace it. Simple.
    Or if the jacket is well old and the zip has gone through years worths of being hammered there are companies out there now who can replace the zip for small cost!

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

My phantom is easily the best jacket I own 🙂

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

i could buy a nice 2nd hand bike,if i didnt have all my gore stuff,then i wouldnt b comfy ridin

woodsman
    Free Member

Al, I tried on the Cosmo (I think) at Evans Gatwick in 'camo', fit was ace, are they available in more conventional colours?

ta

boblo
    Free Member

Algore – Member
    <snip> We used to do a jacket which had a chest pocket and zipped middle rear plus some other tweaks(Complete) but the £30 extra was just too much for people to justify it over the Phantom.

I've got a Complete and a Tool. The Complete is fantastic, I've used it from 38 centigrade dowm to below zero. The Tool is a bit too warm for me most of the time.

Saccades
    Free Member

I've a pair of Gore gloves that fit perfectly and have lasted incredibly well, only problem now is that I have to find a replacement set, bit of a bind as I can't remember the model and I've never found another dealer of the stuff to have try of other gloves.

BoardinBob

Can someone post a link to the camo gore gilet that was mentioned? I've had a google but can't find it.

Algore
    Free Member

Cosmo Softshell also available in Black.
    Function Vest in camo- have a look at Gorebikewear.com
    Saccades- send me a pic of your gloves and I can tell you what they are and what replaced them

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I've got a Contest active shell and I like it a lot, but can't help when comparing it to a soft shell. It would pack down smaller for sure, but it's not that packable because of the liner.
    I went for it as I thought it would maybe have a wider range and be a bit more versatile than a Phantom (which I might buy this winter anyway). Keeps me very comfortable with a base layer and jersey underneath, not really tested in the rain though. Also at the time I couldn't help thinking a Phantom would be too similar to a Windstopper climbing jacket I have, which I couldn't imagine riding in for longer than 5 mins without melting!

Actually just thought of one minor niggle: there's no drawcord on the waist, and if you have a couple of bars or something in the back pocket it can make it hang in a slightly odd, drafty way sometimes.

woodsman
    Free Member

Thanks Al, I just need to find a local stockists now, to try one on. Evans only seem to have the camo at the moment, do you know if they have plans to stock the Black Cosmo. ta

Saccades
    Free Member

Al, Thanks – I've just mailed you with details and photos.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘gore bike wear’ is closed to new replies.