Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Google Sketchup tips
  • kayak23

Anyone been using this fantastic program?

I’ve been getting involved with my local village council and am in the process of designing some improvements to the existing bmx track, to make it more of a pump track and generally fix the neglect and well meaning but poorly executed diggings of the local kids.

I am also involved in furniture design/making and so use it for that too.

This is what I have come up with so far, but as you can see the berms are not berms at all. I have really struggled doing the berms in a convincing way and getting them to flow into the jumps etc. I’ve tried making a block, making an arc on one side and the top and then using the ‘follow me’ command but it doesn’t seem to leave you with what you want, then I add a line to flow it into the jumps and often the face goes transparent… Very confusing.

The jumps were relatively straightforward. I created evenly spaced rectangles, arced the tops and gaps, flowed them onto the ground, and then used the ‘push’ tool to push them out across the track.

Berms! those darn berms!….

Anyone got any good tips?
    Would like to see examples of what you produce too. I think its such a good program considering its free, but like anything, it has its limitations.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve only used it for modelling my attic extension which is mainly straight lines so I can’t really help but I would suggest watching the tutorial videos available as I found them really good.

Faces going transparent usually means that the program can’t resolve the surface so maybe some edges aren’t joining or aren’t flat?

thepurist

The sandbox tools may be more useful for creating that sort of organic shape. IIRC they’re not available by default so you need to tweak the settings to activate them.

scruff
    Free Member

in the Pro version you can play Solids, so you would draw a cube for the berm, with a sphere for the radius, then take the subtract sphere out of the cube, leaving a nice solid berm.

kayak23

in the Pro version you can play Solids, so you would draw a cube for the berm, with a sphere for the radius, then take the subtract sphere out of the cube, leaving a nice solid berm.

I think thats similar to what I was talking about when using the follow me command. You get left with a step on the face of the berm you are riding into(see my first image), this needs to be flowed into the roller before the berm but at this point, things seem to go a bit Pete Tong.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Google Sketchup tips’ is closed to new replies.