Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Google Phone/Android/T Mobile/HTC Magic
  • brant
    Free Member

Anyone got a google phone? Or similar?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I’ve been tempted to get the htc magic, but reviews & comments on the various review sites haven’t been great – basically that the hardware (on that and the G1) is a bit crud, and the OS is obviously in its early stages.
    FWIW, i’m probably going to get a blackberry storm as it’s still a decent phone without being an uber-geek smartphone.

loddrik
    Free Member

Most people just bought iPhones….

brant
    Free Member

Edging towards a Nokia N71 this afternoon 😉

brant
    Free Member

Most people just bought iPhones….

Lots of people buy The Sun too.

I liked my iPod Touch before I washed it by mistake. Just looking at options 😉

rOcKeTdOg

been some good demos on you tube, but obviously by the manufacturors so not really critical, more “it can do this” rather than “i don’t think this is worth it” but i’m tempted when my present contract is up

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

yes, i have a T-Mobile G1. i quite like the android system, in some ways better than the windows based one i had on an mda vario before.

any specific reason you are asking brant?

brant
    Free Member

I’m coming to the end of my Orange contract and am looking around. iPhone seems a no brainer, but I just wonder… “Running background apps” is something Shaun keeps mentioning, and Skype is very handy for me, which can’t run in background on an iPhone – it works when it’s open, or not…

I had an iPod touch, as I said, and I think i’ll replace it. And apparently an E71 (not an N71 as I said up there), is quite a smart cookie, even let me, apparently, run it in “mobile hotspot” mode so I could use my iTouch anywhere.

Then there’s the Blackberrys.

I mostly want it for email, twitter, web, skype, msn messaging, photos, video. I actually don’t use a phone that much…

And it’d be nice if it sync’d with my mac.

Lord knows.

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Brant, I have an E71, just installed Skype on it too, and works a treat. It sync’s with my Mac book too has a decent enough calendar etc, and battery power is very good for a smart phone.

Downsides? the buttons can be a bit small for tubby fingers, that’s about it!

4ndyB
    Free Member

Just bought a Nokia E71, very good bit of kit.

Facebook, twitter, email, web browsing, nokia sports tracker (who needs a Garmin!), sat nav, oh and you can make phone calls & texts with it too 😉

I just use the Bluetooth to sync up with my mac mini

Looks pretty cool too.

brant
    Free Member

So – ok – Si, Orangista – why didn’t you buy an iPhone?

Interested to know (not playing silly beggars, just interested to see thought processes).

4ndyB
    Free Member

Didn’t buy an iPhone/Blackberry as I wanted something different & I didn’t want a touch screen phone (greasy bike mechanic fingers)

E71 gets very good reviews, it’s certainly on a par with iPhone/Berry’s, if not better

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

I guess I wanted a phone that was like a phone, if you know what I mean? IMO Nokia make the best phones, and I think the E71 is more flexible than the iphone, also I have an iPod touch, and sometimes the touch screen is just not intuitive enough for quick use as a phone imo

brant
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Been digging. Looks good. Ta.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

LG Arena is amazing 🙂

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

operating systems aside, one limitation of the G1 is that it is specific to t-mobile, and imho (and experience) orange has better coverage.

when my t-mobile contract expired i was going to leave and go back to orange or maybe even try vodafone, its just that t mobile offered me a deal to stay.

loddrik
    Free Member

I would say try the iPhone too. It is popular for a reason and most people i know who have tried one ended up getting one. Our office is littered with people who bought blackberries/nokias as they didn’t like the whole iPhone fashion/image but once they tried them have either already changed already or are planning to when contracts are up.

akira

Just got an LG Renoir, so far seems pretty good except it’s sending e-mails but not receiving them, getting annoyed now.
    Not sure if it does Skype though, I’ll let you touch it Brant….for a good deal on a new frame.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I like my iphone. Web browsing seems as good as it can get on a phone, camera isn’t great, and I find the way apple do things a bit arsey, no MMS and all that. But I liked it enough to have it repaired when I smashed the screen

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I went playing with smartphones at lunchtime.
    Have to say, the HTC Magic underwhelmed me a little, and i worry about it being not very well supported (yet).
    So, later on i’ll be ordering an HTC Touch Diamond2 on O2 – was reallllly nice to use & is pretty much a better spec’d phone all round from what I could tell.
    Email/contacts integration is brilliant on them & there’s a new operating system update due in a few months that should fill in the cracks quite well.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Google Phone/Android/T Mobile/HTC Magic’ is closed to new replies.