Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Google Home – Amazon Echo???
  • Alphabet

If I want to turn the lights off I’ll get up, walk over and use the switch.

Old school bruv. And you can’t pretend you’re Tony Stark talking to Jarvis.

The new Echo has a smart hub built in now, not sure if the new Dot does

I think so, at least I can control things from mine without the need of other hubs.

submarined
    Free Member

DO NOT GET ONE OF THESE IF YOU HAVE A 4 YEAR OLD!

‘ok Google, don’t listen to daddy’

‘ok Google, stop the music’

‘ok Google, turn on Netflix in the lounge’

And, most frustratingly, repeated
    ‘ok Google, set a timer for 25 minutes ‘train….

miketually
    Free Member

Our Home and Mini arrived today. Impressed with the sound – the Mini is more capable than I thought.

My 12 year old thinks it’s more capable than it is – she tried to get it to skip the adverts in The Simpsons which she was watching on our TiVo.

kelron
    Free Member

My 12 year old thinks it’s more capable than it is – she tried to get it to skip the adverts in The Simpsons which she was watching on our TiVo.

That’s pretty much why I don’t want to buy into it yet. A lot of the stuff I’d want to use it for is either not on the market yet or not affordable, and as far as I know there’s no standards to guarantee anything I buy now will be able to control both my smart oven and walking mini-fridge in 5 years.

GrahamS

DO NOT GET ONE OF THESE IF YOU HAVE A 4 YEAR OLD!

On Amazon there is the Nag My Kids skill where you say things like “Alexa, tell those kids it is time for bed” and she does the nagging for you.

If that doesn’t work the Choose Punishment skill is useful 😉

notmyrealname
    Free Member

So I decided in the end to keep the Google Home and send the Echo back. So far so good, it works!

If I was looking to connect some decent bluetooth speakers to the Home, what would people recommend?
    Looking at something to use in the living room for listening to some music through the Home and possibly to use with the TV.

el_boufador

It just seems like yet another thing to need to maintain and replace.

I can’t see a compelling reason to own one (for me anyway)

Sorry that probably wasn’t very helpful.

Ps im also not a luddite, bit I do understand the cost of owning IT (I’m a software architect)

dannybgoode

I love gadgets – have all sorts and am a sucker for new gizmos just because they’re new but for some reason I have a complete aversion to voice activated stuff.

Heating? Got the Nest app on my phone. Does everything a voice device can do without having to speak up in an otherwise empty room.

Music casting – have a Nas drive + music streamer which again can already be controlled by various devices.

News feeds – again I don’t need them read it to me.

Etc

Keep toying with the idea of an echo – particularly when they’re going cheap but really don’t think I’d use one.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Google Home – Amazon Echo???’ is closed to new replies.