Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Goodbye Yeti ASR5, hello to my latest build – FTM Carbon 1×10
  • campfreddie
    Free Member

My latest full suspension project bike build is finally finished. For this one, I went slightly left of field and opted for a Titus FTM Carbon frame from On-One.

The frame certainly looks stacks better in the flesh than it does in the marketing photos and the quality seems pretty good. The cable routing is a bit crap, but a good helping of helitape should keep things on track. The frame also has the latest rear mech hanger that shouldn’t last a little longer than the earlier 3-bolt versions.

The focus of the build was to create a bike that will do everything from XC around the New Forest to light Alpine adventures or fun days around the Welsh trail centres. My plan after selling the Yeti ASR5 was to buy a new Canyon Spectral AL, but I don’t like waiting, so thought I’d give 26” one last bash. I’m pretty chuffed with the end result. I wanted something quite light weight, but burly enough to look after my 95kgs bulk. I also got to try out 1×10 with the new narrow/wide chainring which is a revelation. Price wasn’t really an factor, but I did try to keep things in or around the £2k bracket. I ended up diving just under which was pretty good considering the spec (made up of all new parts with the exception of the stems, bars and XT SPD’s).

In terms of weight, a quick trip to the LBS scales came in at 25.90lbs complete with the flat pedals and the Haven stem. For XC work, I will switch to Shimano XT SPDs and a Thomson 70mm or 80mm stem (I have both to choose from). There isn’t much I can do on the build to drop weight if I want to keep my Reverb and have wheels capable of taking on lumpy trails with my weight, so I’m happy at a whisker under 26lbs.

Anyways, the spec reads as follows:-

Titus FTM Carbon frame – size large
    FSA carbon inset headset (15mm top cap)
    Rockshox Monarch RT3 shock
    Fox 32 Talas 140-110 15mm forks
    Easton Haven 55mm stem (or Thomson 70mm stem depending on use)
    Easton Haven carbon bars
    Uberbike lock-on grips
    Rockshox Reverb 100mm dropper post (RH lever running on LH side)
    WTB Silverado Ti saddle
    Wellgo B185 flat pedals (or Shimano XT SPDs depending on use)
    Shimano Deore XT M785 rear shifter (i-spec B)
    Shimano Deore XT M785 3×10 crankset with BB
    Raceface Narrow/Wide 32t chainring
    Uberbike 32t bash guard
    Sram PC1051 chain
    Shimano Zee wide-range rear mech
    Shimano Deore XT 11-36 cassette
    Shimano Deore XT M785 disc brakes with fins and i-spec-B levers
    Uberbike 180/160mm floating rotors
    Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs (15mm front, 10mm through QR rear) inc 40t rear hub
    Superstar 10mm through QR
    Stans Arch EX rims
    Stans tubeless valves and tape
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25” Evo Pacestar tyres
    Mucky Nutz Lite front fender

And some hastily-taken photos (taken without the Uberbike bashguard which only arrived today so will go on this evening).

brakes
    Free Member

nice, very nice.

dantsw13

Looks nice – I have a blue FTMc and love the ride of it. Its definately steeper than my Heckler. I run it with a 140 fork.

Things to watch out for:
    Cable rub at the entrance to the internal cable routings.
    The Schraeder valve on the Monarch shock gets very close to the shock mount on the frame – mine chipped there and my shock on the warranty replacement is ru back to front for more clearance.
    The rear pivot of the Chain/Seatstays is just a bolt, and mine has developed play there. You need the Bolt kit (£50) for a replacement, as it doesn’t come in the bearing kit I purchased, and they won’t sell the one bolt separately.
    Helitape the frame, as the paint wears and dulls very easily.

Enjoy riding it – I certainly have!!

Kryton57

That looks nice.

But you seem to have built a bike that was everything your ASR5 could do/be. This is not a criticism, but just for interests sake could you explain your decision?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Are you actually going to change out the stem for an ‘xc’ ride?.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Looks nice,

Superficial
    Free Member

But you seem to have built a bike that was everything your ASR5 could do/be. This is not a criticism, but just for interests sake could you explain your decision?

I’ve had an ASR5 for the last 2+ years, and I’m very happy with it. I occasionally feel like changing (new bikes are nice!) but I haven’t seen anything I would rather ride. It’s a very specific frame and great for what it is, but I think sometimes a change of frame and discovering slightly different way to ride may be as important as any having an objectively nice bike.

The FTM looks nice. I’ll stick with my Yeti though.

campfreddie
    Free Member

I changed from the ASR5 because I fancied a change and wanted to build another bike. It is very similar to the ASR I had, but lighter. I’ll probably keep it for 5 mins and then sell it on which is what I usually do. Lol

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Goodbye Yeti ASR5, hello to my latest build – FTM Carbon 1×10’ is closed to new replies.