• This topic has 127 replies, 95 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)
  • Good record shops in your youth
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Reddingtona was rather too cool for me – probably the wrong adjective there – so often walked past and went to Woolies instead!

donks
    Free Member

Spinadisc in Northampton for us.
    We used to make the twice monthly pilgrimage from MK to buy vinyl and then have a beer or several in the King Billy or the racehorse.

integerspin
    Free Member

Cob Records in Bangor was where I used to get my records from, amazing place. You’d walk past Our Price and their piles of unwanted CD singles and into Cob where they would always be playing something really obscure…and then try to ask them about it while staying cool:

Weren’t they in Porthmadoc? I bought records by post from them, I will have a look as I probably left the labels on. I had a look. Cob Records Porthmdog 90p, on an album I have.

One of the first record departments I remember was in the basement of Plumbers in Guildford, in 1968[?] the Wey flooded. The basement filled with water, I stood out side later in the week as they bought the contents of the basement out and put it in dustcarts. I asked if I could have some records;-)

I used to go in the record shop next to the Astoria in Guildford. I went to school with the little brother of the bloke who seemed to run it. So we got recommendations, lent records, cheap records, free records. I spent a lot of time in there.

The local record shop when I moved was in West Street in Dorking, bloke used to say “do you dig it, it’s really groovy man”. He was the one who told me about Cob Records! Good little shop.

Woolworths Dorking, A girl we hung about with worked on the record counter, if she liked you you would get a bag with a record and some change. You didn’t have to hand over any money. I got Phaedra off her, no idea if I got paid to take it or not. I was always amazed she didn’t get the sack.

When our price opened in the late 70’s most of the old record shops shut.

mattwilliams84
    Free Member

Yep the original Cob Records is in Porthmadog and they had a store in Bangor as well. The Bangor store closed 5 years ago.

dcjay99
    Free Member

Selectadisc, upstairs in Bridlesmithgate, Virgin on Goosegate, very occasionally Woolworths, especially for my EMI copy of God save the Queen -90p- bargain.

DezB
    Free Member

Just remembered Focus Sounds in my local town. They used to sell 2nd hand in one side of the shop and new in the other. Place only shut down a few years ago.
    Best find was The Breeders “Pod” accidently marked up as a 12″ for £1.99 – still got it 🙂

DavidB
    Free Member

Red Carpet Records and Kempsters in Swindon

Bought 300+ discs from those places. Red Carpet is gone. Kempsters is still there but a guitar shop only.

nbt

Alan’s in Wigan, when it was still a record store in Hallgate with some skateboards upstairs. In fact I think it used to be somewhere even smaller than that and he moved to Hallgate when he expanded – they moved over to Mesnes road much later and now he’s down on Wallgate and mostly about the BMX

also Rocks Off in Bradford when I went to uni.

Also used Smiths in Wigan, before they closed

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Good record shops in your youth’ is closed to new replies.