• This topic has 127 replies, 95 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • Good record shops in your youth
  • pnik

Selectadisc in Nottingham, many hours spent, then when I was skint sold a load back to them for a lot less! Turns out gatefold Mission albums weren’t as limited edition/collectable as I thought!

DezB
    Free Member

when I was skint sold a load back to them for a lot less

I did this… we had a shop called Ross Records, bought and sold 2nd hand. Took a great pile in of LPs and 7″ (only collectable I recall was first release of the Associates debut album, thankfully can’t remember any others).
    Regretted it ever since, so have never got rid of a record again!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Tony’s Records – Redcar
    Fearnley’s Records – Middlesbrough

Digby

Turns out gatefold Mission albums weren’t as limited edition/collectable listenable as I thought!

Out of all the alterntive bands of the 80’s I find The Mission are the ones I revisit the least – yet I loved them at the time (up until around ‘Tower of Strength’ anyway)

Saw them at Leeds 02 for the 30th anniversary tour and thought ‘when did Hussey turn into Bono?’. Still … Salvation were supporting and were as good as ever! 😉

flashinthepan
    Free Member

@ theotherjonv

When were you at Durham?

I was there ’88 – ’91 but have no memory of a Volume Records

chakaping
    Free Member

Used to come into town most weekends in my teens and 20s to buy records from…

and…

DezB
    Free Member

here ya go :

http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/

Rather incomplete methinks.

finishthat
    Free Member

Yes its incomplete – they are waiting for you to fill it in .
    How else would they get the info ?

johndoh
    Free Member

George Heapy’s in Knaresborough (and before that – although I was a bit younger – Vallances). Spent many hours in there listening to tracks, ordering in stuff for release date – I particularly remember waiting for the shop to open on the morning Iron Maiden released Piece of Mind then bunking off school to go home and play it.

Also used a shop in Harrogate (I think it was called Sounds) and when it closed down they had the most ridiculous sale and I bought loads of albums at about 50p each.

gnusmas

Andy’s Records Aberystwyth for me. This was my go to place for music in my late teens/early 20s. Haven’t been there in a fair few years so don’t know what its like now, but was brilliant back then. Managed to get hold of a lot of ltd edition vinyl, ex catalogue stuff as well as current listings.

CheesybeanZ

Record and Tape centre in Evesham , brilliant place in the 70s .

BillOddie

Spent many a happy hour (and many pounds) in Spiller’s in Cardiff and then Selectadisc in Nottingham.

mt
    Free Member

Black Sedan Records. Oxford Rd, Manchester. Bought my first Steve Hillage LP there and many many others. It was next to Johnny Roadhouse’s shop.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Spiller Records, Cardiff

most of my student debt went to Spiller’s…

or to HMV who used to half-inch the import 12s I had ordered in Spillers but the distibutor would visit HMV first and they would take them instead!

So I would then have to cancel my Spiller’s order and buy from HMV 🙁

wombat

+1 for Alan Fearnley in ‘Boro

Also Andy’s Records, not in Aberystwyth, but in Bury St Edmunds, and The Record Peddler also in Bury St Eds

Harry_the_Spider

VIBES in Bury.

I don’t know if it was a good shop or a bad shop… but it was my shop.

theotherjonv

@flashinthepan

87-90 (Castle, FWIW)

Bottom of North Road, almost opposite the Fighting Cocks

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/record-shops-durham.1020771/page-2

I don’t remember it being called Volume, as i say it was googling that gave me the name but I’m 99% certain of the location, and I deffo remember buying gig tickets in the manner described.

4ags4
    Free Member

Sydney Scarborough under the city hall in Hull….long gone

cheese@4p

Station Bridge Records in Keighley was my hangout in the 70s

PiknMix
    Free Member

5HQ in Leicester, vinyl and tape packs of a certain genre.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Spent many a happy Saturday in Glasgow in the following shops

A1 Records when it was a stall in the savoy centre then moved to a shop at the top of Renfield street, which then became FOPP.

Missing Records on union street, not sure if that became virgin

23rd Precinct, can’t remember where it was

Shop on Byres Road across from Curlers – was that Listen?

HMV at the corner of Union Street when the clash played an impromptu gig on the roof. Or have I misremembered that?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not really my youth but Scorpion Records in Wycombe was always filled with decent vinyl.

I used to love Scorpion records although I was always after CD’s. I used to spend hours flicking through the pre-owned CD’s, literally starting at A and working my way through to Z. It was literally the best shop ever if you were into metal, punk, hardcore etc.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Kalex in Coatbridge, owned by a Mr Jamieson (never got to learn his forename).

He had everything, knew everything (well, to me he did), could recall your previous purchases and would make recommendations based on that.

He was also in the habit of giving out freebies that he thought you’d enjoy. I discovered a fair few faves based on these.

sas78

Barnstorm Records of Dumfries. Still open I think.

Pink Panther of Carlisle. Where you messed with the BCF if you weren’t behaving!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

23rd precinct for hip-hop and dance, it was in one of the lanes of west Nile st iirc.

Rat Records in Buchanan st for indie.

There was a decent second hand shop in Jamaica st too, can’t remember the name though.

metalheart
    Free Member

1 UP in Aberdeen. I remember it when it was a second-hand store in the back of a jeans shop (Happy Trails) before moving to Rosemount. Great shop, I knew people who were scared off by the staff (mostly Scars…) used to spend half my wages there.

The Other Record Shop was good too. Spacies machines, t-shirts and books too. They had clear bags so’s you could pose with your purchase…. Ace!

Avalanche was great (but I was in my twenties by then). Kev was really helpful I remember one day walking in and him saying ‘give me a fiver..’ And me going wha? He thengave me Galaxie 500 today. He was right though 😀

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Sleeves in Falkirk

All the vinyl was moved upstairs after the influx of CD’s. Lack of interest meant cheap prices and the pick of the best (to me)

Other than that, it was Woolies for more popular stuff and they didn’t really know what they had half the time so their prices were cheap. Orbit did records as well and was the first place I remember my dad going to rent Betamax videos.

slowoldman

Slowodlman that would have been Blonde On Blonde or Roulette in Worksop?

Doesn’t ring a bell.

eulach

Simon_G

The Longplayer in Tunbridge Wells

I used to got to the Maidstone branch.
    Also

Groove records

but only 2 or 3 times a year when I’d saved enough money to got to the smoke.
    But my favourite was Back Track in Ashford market. Geoff was bloody brilliant – he new everything about all forms of reggae.

IHN

Power Cuts down some back street of Oxford Road in Manchester was famous for it’s sales

Record Collector in Sheffield was a must-browse when I was at uni there in the late 90s

rascal
    Free Member

Spillers in Cardiff.
    The only time I ever bought anything was a day trip there in about ’87 – I bought Metallica’s EP ‘Garage Days Re-revisited’ and my mate bought some Anthrax shit \m/

DezB
    Free Member

How else would they get the info ?

Research, innit.

Gary_M
    Free Member

There was a decent second hand shop in Jamaica st too, can’t remember the name though.

A google search says the Record Exchange which I remember, don’t think I went in there much though.

The search also suggests A1 was in De Courcy’s Arcade, just off Byres Road but I was sure it was in the savoy centre. I do remember a record shop in De Courcy’s though and one in the savoy centre.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Power Cuts down some back street of Oxford Road in Manchester

Great Bridgewater Street IIRC
    There was also Pandemonium up by Johnny Roadhouse
    And the one under the newsagents in St. Anne’s Sq – Paperchase

Discount Records in Sale
    Streets Ahead in Altrincham
    King Bee in Chorlton
    Sifters in Didsbury

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Not really a record shop but there used to be a music distribution company not far from where I lived that had a discount staff shop. Visited it a few times with a mate that worked there during the summer holidays and once he left I used to go by myself, so long as you went at lunchtime when it was busy nobody bothered to check whether you were staff or not. Bargaintastic.

surfer
    Free Member

Probe in Liverpool

xherbivorex
    Free Member

When were you at Durham?

I was there ’88 – ’91 but have no memory of a Volume Records

Volume was in a weird little corner/shopping arcade just off silver street in the city centre, but i don’t remember how early it was since the OG Volume was on ridley place in Newcastle before they expanded to open more shops (Durham, Sunderland and Washington in that order). might not have been as early as ’91.

jimster01

Magpie Records in Worcester, fab place, acquired my first Rush album there.

ThePinkster

Seem to have spent most of the 80’s in Reddingtons Rare Records. in sunny ol’ Brum.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Good record shops in your youth’ is closed to new replies.