Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Golf Clubs
  • NJA

I have found myself in a situation where I will have to play a few rounds of golf over the next year or so (its a business thing).

I haven’t played since my eldest son was born (he’s 33 and married now) so is there a STW equivalent for golfers, or if there are any golfers on here what’s a good beginners set of clubs these days. Googling seems to throw up a load of Wilson sets that look quite good for about £400.

Any advice welcomed.

P.S clubs will be bought through the company so not 2nd hand.

the-muffin-man

Can you claim for constructive dismissal?

I mean ‘having’ to play golf for work is almost abuse!! 🤣🤣

mmcd

ping do good forgiving ( beginner) clubs. if you can get on one of their demo days you can try a selection of different set ups too

w00dster

Ping for £400?

I presume for that budget your after irons and “woods”? So driver, 5 wood? Maybe a hybrid (4 iron distance with higher ball flight and easier to hit)

Have a look at Rick Shiels YouTube channel. Calaway do some beginners full sets. Genuine starters clubs. He’s reviewed some from Lidl of store. Worth a watch and then see what’s available.

argee

Cost is key, what is the budget, as bar those cheap sets from mcgregor or wilson, everything else starts to go up to 1k or above, that’s for the driver, 3 wood, hybrid, iron set, wedge and putter, with bag and so on.

A company that seems to get a lot of good press about their starter packs is Caley Golf, they do sets from 400, but at 500 you get 11 clubs, which is a good spread and a nice enough looking set for 500 https://caleygolf.com/collections/full-bag-sets

Klunk
    Free Member

if you go ping, try before you buy as they are very marmite.

stumpy01

Get to a course/driving range with a decent shop and get some proper advice.
    You’ll probably be able to try some out.

I got a set from a driving range I used to go to – not really a recognised brand, sold direct with very little marketing but apparently highly rated. Can’t even remember what they are called.

I used to work with a guy who played a lot of golf and spent a fortune on kit. He tried my budget set and was really impressed.

wheelsonfire1

<p>Is golf equipment a legitimate business expense now? I could understand it if you were a golf professional but really? We’re in record debt of £2.6tn and the gravy train is still steaming ahead for some it would appear!</p>

steve-g
    Free Member

I think Costco had a good set for around that price, won’t be fitted for that money though I don’t think, just standard length and lie. Were you ever fitted for clubs before? Seems silly buying brand new clubs if you’ve not had a fitting, nice shiny new clubs that don’t fit and have immediately lost half their value the second you buy them.

simondbarnes

I sometimes wish I could still play golf but my poorly back put an end to that 20 years ago. I tried to carry on by ditching the woods and basically playing with 5,7,8,9,SW & putter. My scores were pretty much the same (at the end of the day, golf is pretty much down to being able to put consistently) but it wasn’t as much fun.

revs1972
    Free Member

Oooh , I’ve been invited by a client to a shoot soon.

Would a pair of Purdeys be tax deductible? 😎

NJA

Never been fitted for a set, although that might be a good idea as I am 6ft 3. My accountant seems to think that as I am only buying them because of work then they can be a legitimate business expense.

Budget is ideally  £500 or less as they really will be occasional use. From what I remember a leisurely game of golf is essentially a whole day out and I would far rather ride my bike. Sadly our new corporate clients don’t see eye to eye with me on that one.

Those Caley ones look nice, but I guess a trip to the local golf course and a chat with the Pro in the shop might be in order.

cb

Go or call your nearest American Golf shop. Ask them the question and they will advise and fit you if needed. At 500 quid the lot and occasional use, I wouldn’t worry too much about fitting.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Wilson haven’t been what they used to be for years, but have just this year released a load of clubs with very favorable reviews.   As CB says, swing by American Golf with your budget and see what they say.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Firstly, I do not play golf. There are always loads of golf clubs in secondhand shops. I would have thought they’d be good enough until you know what you’re looking for.

Shit, I should have paid more attention- sorry!

poly
    Free Member

Never been fitted for a set, although that might be a good idea as I am 6ft 3. My accountant seems to think that as I am only buying them because of work then they can be a legitimate business expense.

I can see how an accountant would say that clubs purchased “solely and exclusively for work” were a business expense.  I wonder if HMRC would see it quite like that.  Where would you draw the line?  Club membership, pro-instruction?  Is your accountant hoping you’ll take him for a game too?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Another vote for Costco (apparently)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.