Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Going SS on the front, what do we need to know?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My lad wants to go ss up front on his 2008 Stumpy, not sure what he’s got now (apart from 3 rings) but he needs new transmission anyway.
    So what kind of options are best & affordable?
    Ta.

lunge

Depend show much you want to spend really.
    Cheap – remove inner and out rings, shifter and cables, use the front mech as a chain devise.
    Middle – Remove inner and out rings, shifters, front mech and cables, add a chain devise.
    Expensive – remove all the rings, shifter, mech and cables and buy a think/thin ring, add a clutch mech and a chain devise as well if you want belt and braces.

Edit, this assumes the rings are removable from his chainset, if not it’s new chainset time as well.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

He’s budgeting about £200 for everything & been looking at Zee cranks. I’m old school triple ring bloke & know nowt about ss!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No need for new cranks unless he really wants them
    Clutch mech will work with existing shifters if he has 10sp
    Thick thin is whatever he wants to spend.

Under 200 easy

Clobber
    Free Member

Do a search for 1×10, it has been covered quite a lot

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Gets covered every few days for the last couple of years.

I went from 1×9 with a chain device to 1×10 with a clutch setup at the start of the year. Used my old XT cranks but bought a new RF N/W ring, SLX chain, cassette and mech and a Zee shifter. That little lot cost me about £100 but there are cheaper options out there now (ring was £40 but options for £25ish now like On-One and SS).

That and some decent cranks will easily come in at under £200. Great setup – as reliable as my old one with the chain device etc but an extra gear and lighter. If your lad needs to replace the drivetrain its the perfect opportunity to do it.

D0NK

first thing is to start calling it oneby not essess, completely different niches.

Second, minimum is lose the shifter, mech and inner/outer rings then add a chain device of some sort

pricey clutch mech, funky chainring and uber cassette optional.

robland
    Free Member

My setup slx clutch mech nw chainring zee shifter with 11 36 cassette. No need buy new chainset can use existing one

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Going SS on the front, what do we need to know?’ is closed to new replies.