Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Going Singlespeed – Quick guide
  • bland

Basically i have a Pipedream Sirius which is still running 8 speed with a 94 XTR rear mech on and it feels tired. I have toyed with the idea of SS for years and fancy converting it to see if it gets any more use than it does currently before i break it up and sell it.

In short…

What tensioner should i use? And what ratio is best for edge of peaks type riding?

c9tln
    Free Member

on-one doofer thingy,i had 32/18 on my pipedream which was ok for most stuff.

Garry_Lager

Ages since I had a tensioner so don’t know specific brands anymore, but ones that can run in push-up mode (it pushes the chain upwards) are good. Gives better chain wrap which can be a good option if the chain isn’t behaving in push-down mode.

I’d start with 32:16, just to pick the classic ratio. Depending on fitness this should be fine on easier rides, but you’d need to be a bit of a beast to lash it round a serious Peaks ride, certainly if you’re new to it. Go up to a 17 or 18 and that’s usually a nice ratio.

mintimperial

I’m using a Superstar tensioner, cheap, cheerful and it’s not dropped the chain yet. I run 32/18 on the edge of the Dark Peak but then I’m a bit new to all this one-cog nonsense.

Mugboo

Mine has sliding dropouts and I’m pretty new to it but 32/18 here.

Love it but glad it’s not my only bike 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Going Singlespeed – Quick guide’ is closed to new replies.