Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Going 1×9…
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

I've decided my upcoming Sirius Ti hardtail will run 1×9, and I'm trying to work out the best way of doing it. I'm guessing an unramped chainring is a good idea…which suggests I should be looking at something designed for a SS? Should I also look at some kind of guide, like the MRP 1.x for example? I've got some Middleburn ST cranks & a Royce Ti BB I could use with this setup, though I suspect something like the MRP 1.x isn't going to work with a square taper BB. Any thoughts on the best way of doing this before I get spendy on the wrong stuff? Cheers!

Jase
    Free Member

I used the old front mech but by the sounds of it your bike deserves something a little nicer.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I used the old front mech but by the sounds of it your bike deserves something a little nicer.

Yep, I like the clean look of a single ring setup as well…though tbh even the MRP 1.x will spoil that a bit. Thought about just using the front mech as you say, but yes I think I'm too much of a tart 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

I would try nude before going to any expense.

I use a MB square taper with a Phil BB, no anti-drop device, short rear cage, tight chain, and chainring close to the BB shell – never drops

poppa
    Free Member

Having a lot of tension in your mech and having an un-ramped chainring will in theory help stop your chain falling off.

Personally I would avoid biasing your chainline one way or the other – I tend to use the full spread of gears so would like my front chainring to be somewhere in the middle!

The Paul's chainkeeper doodah looks like the neatest of the purpose built 1×9 devices.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

bonesetter…

What size front ring is that.?

bonesetter
    Free Member

The BB shell width on the bike above is 73mm and as such I have biased it slightly but only be a few mm's. A previous bike with the same set-up had a 63mm and didn't any bias to work properly

bonesetter
    Free Member

neil's-on-wheels – Member

bonesetter…

What size front ring is that.?

29T 😛

rootes1

shame we can't have a 1×9 sticky….

Rickos
    Free Member

Maybe an N-Gear jump stop and a bash ring would suit. The chain would have to properly jump a good way to come off then. Pauls also do a seat-tube mounted guide in the same sort of style as the MRP, so no worries over the square taper BB. Looks very neat too.

http://www.paulcomp.com/chainkeeper.html

pedalhead
    Free Member

Cheers guys, all very helpful.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Mark–talk to Adam about this tomorrow night. He's running 1 x 9 on his Pace.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Ah cheers Matt, good idea 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Going 1×9…’ is closed to new replies.