Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • go pro hd or contour hd??
  • pease
    Free Member

another question for this week 🙂 im also looking to get one of these, well the girlfriend is for christmas 🙂 ive borrowed both from friends and i find them very similar. i do like the fact the contour has the gps option but overall its picture quality im looking for. from watching the videos back, the go pro seemed to have better colour quality but im still not sure what to ask santa for??
    what views do you all have?

singletracksurfer

gopro here. better picture quality makes sense on a video camera 😉

walleater

It was the lack of a chestmount that killed the Contour idea for me when I was looking around.

Drac

Contour here better picture quality makes sense. If the colour quality is wrong that’s down to use error.

Wait what?

Either both very good.

Johnbot
    Free Member

I would have gone for the contour if it wasn’t for the wind noise in the mic. Got a HDHero2 and love it.

pease
    Free Member

its a hard choice it seems.. been looking at a few youtube videos of the two. still not sure 🙂

Vortexracing

I have a contour Roam and can’t recommend it enough.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Contour has an excellent goggle mount and aiming system, great if you use it mostly when wearing goggles.

GoPro has the chest mount which works really well for riding and skiing.

I’m leaning towards GoPro despite loving the Contour goggle mount.

pease
    Free Member

yeah, i saw someone in the alps with the goggle mount. looked sweet

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Pretty old review, image quality come on loads but some info on mounts and aiming the vholdr (now called contour) here:

http://www.gravity-slaves.co.uk/?a=489

It does bounce around a bit unless the goggle strap is really tight.

Seems like the mic wind noise issue is still present, tempted with a Hero 2 for quality and

hammyuk
    Free Member

They are BOTH THE SAME internally!
    Both use the same architecture internally – it’s basically only the software that is different.
    Colour will be down to user settings.
    The Contour uses a newer chipset than the GoPro and processes information faster.
    However the GoPro has been around longer and is better known.

_tom_
    Free Member

From what I’ve seen, the GoPro has much better image quality. Contour doesn’t look quite as sharp to me. The colour thing isn’t really an issue as you can increase saturation in post.. However I wasn’t really that impressed with the GoPro I rented out, quality was fairly poor compared to some videos I’ve seen. Not sure if it was just on shit settings or what. The Hero 2 video on the gopro site looks awesome.

session88
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/33449166[/video]

This is the ordinary gopro hd some of my footage from Saturday morning. The HD2 is better than this.

Steve77
    Free Member

Chest mount looks so much better for biking than helmet mount it has to be the gopro imo

votchy
    Free Member

Judging by the number of TV shows that use the GoPro to produce footage would sway my vote.

nasher
    Free Member

We use both…

The go pro is much easier to mount on bikes, person etc… That is why it is more popular.

however i like the fact that contour has a little led screen so you can do manual camera work.. (This is a £100 option with go pro)

As said picture quality is about the same…

If you want it mainly for mounting on the bike/person then I will go with gopro

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Neither. Go with the Oregon Scientific ATC9. It’s HD, with the GPS option, helmet and bar mounts and is fully waterproof (without the case!) for half the price of the Go-pro.

I use mine on the bike with the provided mounts and on my windsurf boards and rib with a Flymount. Fantastic.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Picture quality is good on them both

If you are only wanting to mount to a helmet then i’d go with the contour, the shape looks a less conspicious than the gopro for this. However if you want to mount elsewhere, either on the bike or on the chest i’d go with the gopro, there are so many easy mounting options that make it very versatile. Plus the waterproof case gives it good protection, i think you need to spend extra to get a waterproof case with the contour…i maybe wrong about that though.

downs523
    Free Member

Can the contour fit on a vented cycle helmet at the sides? Or does it have to go on the top of the lid?

Milkie
    Free Member
    kaesae
    Free Member

Got both and I never even look at the contour anymore!

Gopro HD for me!

pease
    Free Member

thanks guys. i think ill go for the gopro hd. probably wont be the hd2 as its still a little pricey at the mo.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I look forward to the Mynydd vids 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘go pro hd or contour hd??’ is closed to new replies.