Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • GMT / BST / Timezones – a simple solution
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Why doesn’t the whole world just use the same time, then everything would be simple.

Obviously it gets light / dark at different times, but why the obsession with 9-5, etc? Obviously, being the best country in the world (and the ‘owners’ of GMT), we get to keep it, so for example we start work at 9am, chicago would start work at 2pm.

Easy

Drac

I can’t believe no one has though of this before.

5lab

you mean UTC?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well, yes, but abandoning all that other nonsense to everyone uses the same time, not just subsections of the human race such as the aviation peeps & military, etc

druidh
    Free Member

What we need is VST – Venusian Standard Time. Each day is the equivalent of 243 days on Earth.

The working week would be a bit of a bugger, but think about the weekends!!!!

29erKeith
    Free Member

It’d make aspects of my job easier for sure
    Can also add to it that everybody should use the same format too
    e.g British date time format not American or any other
    thanks 😆

GrahamS

I think it’s about time that the whole system was decimalised.

A decade is ten years. right?

So stands to reason that one year is an “ade”
    Each ade should consist of 100 days, now called centades.
    Each centade should have 10 hours, or milliades.
    And each milliade should consist of 1000 microades.

Simples.

richmars

While we’re messing around with time, why not have Christmas every 18 months, then we in the north get a warm one every other xmas.

mogrim

While we’re messing around with time, why not have Christmas every 18 months, then we in the north get a warm one every other xmas.

Every 6 months, surely?

Cougar

What we need is VST – Venusian Standard Time.

My OH already uses this, every time she tells me she’ll be “ready in a minute.”

richmars

Every 6 months, surely?

No, because I hate Christmas so every 18 months helps.

sadmadalan

The whole point is that at midday ie 1200 the sun (if seen) should be at the highest in the sky for the day. Rather than having BST/GMT – we should all start work at 8 am and move everything to be an hour earlier. This would give us longer evenings!

On the other hand the official timekeepers want to get rid of leap seconds so that real time (i.e. the time as by the sun) and time (i.e. your watch) would not be linked. Tail is wagging the dog – time was a measurement of the rotation of the earth, it is not an abstract concept!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘GMT / BST / Timezones – a simple solution’ is closed to new replies.