Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Gluing my helmet
  • thepodge
    Free Member

Will standard puncture repair glue melt my helmet?

I had an off at the weekend and its bust the peak to helmet joint, just wondering if I could stick a dab of glue on it to hold it in place.

i'm guessing super glue would just burn straight through

RealMan
    Free Member

New helmet?

uplink
    Free Member

Duct tape

gusamc
    Free Member

I duck taped mine, silver went quite well with blue, but to be fair cool is a temerature

I suspect glue might damage it and that helmets are easier and cheaper to get hold of than heads,m except of course if you head is rotating ……

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you crashed and hit the helmet should you not be replacing it?

thepodge
    Free Member

I thought about a new one but its seems a waste as its only a half mm bracket that's gone and I only hit the peak of it, the rest is fine

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

A bit of googling suggests epoxy resin or pva glue or specialized expanded polystyrene glue might work.

pva doesn't like water so i wouldn't try that.

Maybe try this.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UHU-POR-Expanded-Polystyrene-Glue-/230478975112?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item35a99e1088

Bing
    Free Member

Do not put glue on ya helmet! thats more dangerous than glueing ya fingers together!

thepodge
    Free Member

I've glued my fingers together loads of times

elaineanne
    Free Member

buy a new helmet ! or the next time you fall off it mite not safe ya bonce !

thepodge
    Free Member

What bit of the op and I only hit the peak do you not understand?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

How can you only hit the peak? Did you hit a small peak shaped bit of ground?

(Or was it something sensible like a branch?)

thepodge
    Free Member

SpokesCycles – How can you only hit the peak? Did you hit a small peak shaped bit of ground? (Or was it something sensible like a branch?)

the front of the peak sticks out a good 100mm from the helmet. if the rock is closer than 100mm but further away than 0mm then you'll only hit the peak. simple maths really.

it would be nice if there were more people like SLW and less clever dicks (thanks SLW, that's what I was after)

bassspine
    Free Member

PVA will be fine, when it sets it's waterproof.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

No crash warranty? to buy a tax free helmet?

Just buy a cheap helmet on sale etc not worth risking your brains for £40 is it?

thepodge
    Free Member

Do you understand what a peak is?

Have you read any of my posts?

Are you stupid?

Stormwind
    Free Member

Unless it's an inner tube, then I don't think you can use puncture repair glue.

epoxy resin or pva glue or specialized expanded polystyrene sounds good to me.

Then again it's your head!

ianpinder
    Free Member

thepodge – Member

Are you stupid?

Lol, there are some stupid people.

seany_e_boy
    Free Member

it would be nice if there were more people like SLW and less clever dicks (thanks SLW, that's what I was after)

Banter!

Edric64
    Free Member

just dont bother using a peak ? They serve no real purpose anyway

edhornby

I'd go with Edric's verdict as well – I had one on my helmet, couldn't be bothered to remove it and took it off when I was at the velodrome. made bob all difference, no difference to my eyes being shaded or keeping rain out… waste of time imo

khani
    Free Member

Try those little sticky velcro pads, worked for me when I knocked my viser off, and it was still removable if I wanted too

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lol at all the stupid answers.

May have to start a "stupid answer of the week" thread. Don't think my "elbry thread of the week" thread will get past the mods.

Philby

I glued my back on when one of the little pieces that clip in to the helment broke off. Used some sort of superglue and has worked fine.

thepodge
    Free Member

Edric / edhornby – I would do but part of the peak is threaded through with the straps so it would be a faff undoing it all.

khani – I'd never thought of that, I have some sticky Velcro tabs somewhere as well, cheers

Haze

I may have done something similar, if it's the little spigot on the peak that clips into the helmet?

Mine was still there but very loose and wouldn't keep the peak from popping out. I just used it to locate the peak back in place and zip-tied around it, hiding the 'buckle' in one of the vents.

Giro Xen btw…

thepodge
    Free Member

its on a bit that tapers so the cable tie is likely to slide

Frankenstein
    Free Member

thepodge – Member

Are you stupid?

Oops lol sorry only read the first post and title.
    Peaks can be glued or duct taped.

You might look stupid to other riders though…why not leave it off like a roadie? go on get a new helmet!

IGMC and duck… 😉

theotherjonv

I have nothing useful to add, just wanted to share my relief that this thread is in the right section of the forum and hasn't been misposted.

richmtb

Araldite (which is epoxy) will do the job, available at any good B&Q.

It will break again in the same place if you give it another knock but it will hold together for normal use.

I wouldn't buy a new helmet either if it was just the peak

Andituk
    Free Member

Is the peak made of a some kind of impact obsorbing material then?

Most are just plastic and will just pass all the energy through into the shell of the helmet.

Fair enough if your willing to keep using it, it's your choice, but calling people stupid for pointing out that you should change a helmet after you crash is a bit rude.

MarkN
    Free Member

I would ask if the OP was really sure that it was just the peak that took the impact of the blow. At the end of the day it is his head/helmet but that advice to swap a crashed helmet is valid. Damage is not always visible as the helmet is meant to absorb the impact in the structure. It can only do this as it does not "bounce back". The same applies to motorcycle helmets and has for many years.

PVA is not waterproof and will not last long when wet. There is a PVA that is more water resistant than the standard. Polyurethane glue is more suitable for "wet" applications but not sure how suitable for this application. Some caution is needed as some glues/solvents in the glue will rot the polystyrene of the helmet.

jonb
    Free Member

As above, araldite or any other 2 component epoxy glue will do. You should stay well away from any glue containing organic solvents as they are likely to damage the helmet in the area around the repair. Most single component glues rely on solvents to work, most plastic glues definately do. You may need to re-enforce the area some how to get a good fix. My peak is held on with electrical tape on one side after an incident with a bush.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I think he fixed it:

😆

thepodge
    Free Member

Not sure why anyone needs to resurrect a 4 day old thread but here goes.

Frankenstein – Peaks can be glued or duct taped. You might look stupid to other riders though…why not leave it off like a roadie? go on get a new helmet!

I ended up using electrical tape to hold it all in place while the glue set. and as per earlier post, I would have to unthread all the straps to remove the peak fully which is something I couldn't be bothered to do.

richmtb – It will break again in the same place if you give it another knock but it will hold together for normal use. I wouldn't buy a new helmet either if it was just the peak

this is what I want it to do, by breaking it reduces the forces transferred to the helmet. glad to hear there are others who don't think of binning things at the slightest touch.

Andituk – Is the peak made of a some kind of impact obsorbing material then? Most are just plastic and will just pass all the energy through into the shell of the helmet.

Essentially yes, it is. The peak is a quite flexible polymer so will absorb minor impacts it also has half mm thick bracket each side which is designed to break in a bigger impact so that forces are displaces in the best manor[/quote]

Fair enough if your willing to keep using it, it's your choice, but calling people stupid for pointing out that you should change a helmet after you crash is a bit rude.

what I object to is asking a question and then getting a load of unrelated sanctimonious answers in reply. I would have thought that with me being there, it happening to me and knowing exactly what happened I would be the best person to know how bad the fall was and if I should get a new helmet or not. this would seem to be wrong as some people, despite not being there, not having it happen to them, not knowing how hard I hit the rock or even what helmet I have clearly know better.

Mark N – I would ask if the OP was really sure that it was just the peak that took the impact of the blow.

Yes I am, if I was unsure then I'd be buying a new helmet

At the end of the day it is his head/helmet but that advice to swap a crashed helmet is valid.

I did not ask for advice on replacing my helmet, I asked it on glue. the OP does not say I crashed my helmet, its says I "bust the peak to helmet joint"

Some caution is needed as some glues/solvents in the glue will rot the polystyrene of the helmet.

Really? maybe I should put up a post asking "Will standard puncture repair glue melt my helmet? / i'm guessing super glue would just burn straight through" maybe that way I'd get a straight answer… oh, hold on!

jonb – My peak is held on with electrical tape on one side after an incident with a bush.

i hope by "held on with electrical tape" you mean you rushed out and bought a new helmet

brant
    Free Member

Puncture repair kit glue isn't glue. It's Vulcanising solution which breaks down the rubber to allow the patches to chemically bond to the tube.

cynic-al
    Free Member

what I object to is asking a question and then getting a load of unrelated sanctimonious answers in reply

here? LOLLERCOPTER5

thepodge
    Free Member

yeah, i should have known better.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Gluing my helmet’ is closed to new replies.