Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Gloucester advice-should I buy a pub there decision content.
  • thepublican
    Free Member

To be brief…

Looking for a first freehold pub after owning brewery leases and looking in the area around Bristol and a bit north.

Looking to refurbish a tired traditional pub along (hate the term) Gastro lines but with no pretentiousness and very to be pro muddy biker, pro dog, pro kid. Proper locally sourced good value menu, good local real ale & cider selection, great coffee, great wine, proper bar snacks and a cracking beer garden with barbeque.

Found a site in Gloucester but something about the town makes me wonder if the reason there isn’t this sort of pub in the town centre already is because the demand isn’t there?

Any local advice gratefully appreciated….

rOcKeTdOg

pro kid

i’m out

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Hummm… you’ve obviously never spent any time in Gloucester…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Steelfreak
    Free Member

Where abouts in Gloucester is the ‘site’ you’ve found?

Stoner
    Free Member

just not in glos if you can.

Scamper
    Free Member

If its near Kingsholm, i’ll pop in for a pint 😀

thepublican
    Free Member

rocket dog

Not in the ‘screaming hoardes in hi-chairs’ way. More in the take your son to the rugby and have a pint before and after’ way…

steelfreak

Cathedral/rugby club area.

thepublican
    Free Member

2 mintues walk from kingsholm.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

If its in the town its self I would avoid like the plague. Some of the outlying towns/villages an awful lot better, further away the better, like the cotswolds escarpment or heading towards stroud/cirencester. Avoid the cheltenham area unless you’ve got ££££££££. Hope that helps. Gloucester is just depressed, they’ve spent a lot of money but you can’t polish a turd.

Edit. Doh too slow, mmm kingsholm is ok but the rugby isn’t on every day!!!

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Pro kid?

Pro Dog?

Sorry, don’t send me an invite to your opening night please. The best pubs have neither of these…… although adequate pseudo-restaurants will sometimes cater to these “pub spoilers”. I mean, I dont go and swill whiteligtening in playgrounds, so why should the little sods be indulged in places I go?

And as for dogs – the best pubs have a “no dogs” rule. Its not the dogs, the the owners who spoil it. The dogs just dont know any different.

thepublican
    Free Member

Jujuuke68

Perhaps not explaining myself very well sorry. No intention of high chairs and the like but do you not like having sunday roast in a pub with your family? I do. I also like walking my dog and popping into my local after for swift one on the way home?

People with screaming uncontrolled children would be given short shrift, as would uncontrolled or begging dogs.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Gloucester folk tend to be very down to earth, so they might well appreciate a pub free from pretentious guff. Probably not many muddy bikers around Kingsholm, though…

v666ern
    Free Member

honestly…im afraid its a no, i’ve just moved from the city centre out to the rural areas…its not really the sort of ‘pro muddy biker’ area IMO
    Is it the sort of a ‘woolpack’ (sorry best way i could think to describe it) type pub…if so id aim for the painswick area (maybe if your visting have a look at the Royal William at cranham…i think this is the sort of thing your describing

Cletus
    Free Member

I think that Gloucester is considered a bit low rent by many people who would prefer to go out in the surrounding countryside or in Cheltenham, Cirencester etc.

It is a shame because there are some great historical buildings including many of the pubs.

Unlike say Winchester however the locals do not seem to appreciate them.

Tbh as someone who grew up in Gloucestershire I would advise you to think very carefully before going ahead.

CountZero

Further south, Cirencester area I reckon would be better. More riding/walking countryside, and more money around as well. Good breweries around that area, too, like Butcombe, for example.

ste_t
    Free Member

Gloucester – I certainly wouldn’t. Money is in the food & service – make it child ‘friendly’ at lunch, adults only in the evening. Being properly locally supplied will destroy your gp% so I would play it safe and create an identity that supports the community but will also make as much profit as possible.

I would skip Goucs and either head north to Worcester or south to Bath. More affluent, more potential.

mattsccm
    Free Member

You run very fast from Gloucester if you have a choice. Your main market would be youngsters wanting a pissup. Kingholm just isn’t the sort of place you associate with decent pubs. Junkies maybe.
    Wander down the other end of town to the Tall Ship to see if that is what you are thinking about. . Great food but benefiting from the docks. Not a family place as families don’t go there.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Why not visit Gloucester and after 10 minutes walking rounds the cross (in the middle) you will see the type of customers you need to aim a pub at. (under 20, push chairs, kids, chavs, unemployed, homeless etc.)

I have lived in Gloucester all my life and hate the city centre. I will always go out in Bath or Cheltenham for a night out as Gloucester is a dive!

Cirencester is a better option but you will find lots of their residents go to Bath and there is not much of a riding scene.

Cheltenham is the place for you but be prepared for high rent charges.

SirJonLordofBike
    Free Member

pro dog, pro kid

as far as Im concerned
    kids – daytime ok
    Dogs – no chance for food, not even for a drink if i can avoid it

Raindog
    Free Member

Dogs – no chance for food, not even for a drink if i can avoid it

Just out of curiosity, what is the problem with dogs ? A restaurant I can understand, but in a pub what’s the harm ?

richardk
    Free Member

No, in short. Out towards the Forest of Dean would capture your market of dogs/kids/walkers/bikers but I’ve never seen a good food pub do well in the Forest (maybe the Dog & Muffler is the exception). Coming out Ciren or Stroud way would be a better bet. More walking than riding Ciren way and lots of competition (Wild Duck in Ewen, The Bell at Sapperton etc) so maybe buying one with a reputation rather than trying to start something new?

chupucabra
    Free Member

If I saw a dog upon entering a foodery, I’d turn straight around and go somewhere else. Sorry.

emsz
    Free Member

there isn’t this sort of pub in the town centre already is because the demand isn’t there?

I’d love a little gastro pub/coffee snug in town, but realistically, at night most people round here (me included if I’m honest) are looking for cheap loud fun. I sort of fit into the 20’s group that just wanna get lashed on wkd/vod/cider on Friday/sat night, sorry.

God, that feels so cheap…sorry

mokl
    Free Member

I would think very carefully about it if I were you. Gloucester centre empties after 5 o clock. I work there and see it every day! If you don’t know the town why not see for yourself by spending an evening out mid-week and seeing how many punters are about. It’s a shame that Gloucester has become as it has, and I suppose if nobody is brave enough to invest in the place then it will never improve. I’m pretty convinced that the pedestrianisation was the beginning of the deterioration of the city centre. It sort of ripped the soul out of a place which should really have so much potential.

tang
    Free Member

Stroud area is where you need to look.

Raindog
    Free Member

If I saw a dog upon entering a foodery, I’d turn straight around and go somewhere else. Sorry.

Again, why ? The dog isn’t doing the cooking, or serving. Is it that you don’t like dogs begging at the table ? (perfectly understandable) or that the dog may be a hygiene issue ?

As the owner of a well behaved dog it baffles me the number of country pubs that won’t have dogs in at all, but are happy to have walkers or farmers wearing muddy boots, not to mention mountain bikers with lycra and muddy arses !

SirJonLordofBike
    Free Member

Just out of curiosity, what is the problem with dogs ? A restaurant I can understand, but in a pub what’s the harm ?

I just don’t like vthem around me, not a troll – well I can’t stand them actually,I have met some quite nice ones occasionaly but in general I think they are dirty and intrusive, the mess left by irresposnible owners hugely winds me up, as does the attitude that its ok for your dog to get in other peoples faces because owners seem to assume that other people love dogs like they do, certainly no way I’d eat or stay somewhere that allowed dogs. Also it’s very well to say you’d only allow well behaved dogs but that doesnt work in my experience 😀

mrmo
    Free Member

I’m pretty convinced that the pedestrianisation was the beginning of the deterioration of the city centre. It sort of ripped the soul out of a place which should really have so much potential.

no i would say it goes back much further, kings square used to have nice fountains and now? the whole of the shopping centre, kings square, bus station area is pretty run down.

chupucabra
    Free Member

“If I saw a dog upon entering a foodery, I’d turn straight around and go somewhere else. Sorry.”

Simply I don’t want them lurking about tables that I’m eating from, and most dogs aren’t as calm,liked,well controlled or behaved as their owners think that they are around strangers and food. Although obviously yours would be 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Eh? Do people let their dogs shit in pubs and not clean it up?

To be honest, people I know with even slightly badly behaved dogs, especially medium/large ones just don’t take them to the pub because it’s too much hassle.

We take Molly all the time (to pubs where she’s welcome) and she’s never a bother. Nice of the “ICAN”TSTANDDOGSANDICAN’TSTOPMYSELFTELLINGEVERYONEABOUTITONSTWALLTHE****TIME” brigade hijack the OP’s thread with typical over-reactionary hyperbole. I’m sure he appreciates the feedback.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t like dogs but the key is “well behaved”

My local is dog friendly – anyone whos dog is the slightest nusience is told not to bring it back. Dogs cause no issue

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t like dogs

You’d like my dog TeeJ – she’d bring you round 🙂

chupucabra
    Free Member

I’ve no objection to dogs, I just don’t want them about where I’m eating ……

Torminalis
    Free Member

I don’t go to pubs where they don’t allow dogs. Fewer sanctimonious types I find. 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I want them round when I’m eating. They help keep the pub floor clean.

Oh and Torm…

v666ern
    Free Member

no i would say it goes back much further, kings square used to have nice fountains and now? the whole of the shopping centre, kings square, bus station area is pretty run down.

but kings square has one of those fancy lawn type fings just like cheltenham prom…mwa ha ha! 😆

MrOvershoot

Lets just say 16 years ago I sold my house in Gloucester & moved to Cheshire.

Best thing I ever did 🙂

IIRC the quote in one of the national papers at the time of the Fred West enquiry about Gloucester was “The City that evolution forgot”

thepublican
    Free Member

Thanks all for the much appreciated feedback, even if some was hard to hear in truth.

On the dogs issue I have the same policy as TJ’s Landlord obviously does, if that helps, although this is quite a small pub and I don’t envisage more than the odd one or two.

As for Gloucester… I have now visited on several nights on different days of the week. While not Notting Hill, the city centre seems fine most nights. Every city centre is full of teenage girls in virtually nothing and oafs in superdry jackets. Thats Britain, bar London really. I have a pub in Exeter at the moment and Gloucester reminds me of both here and nearby Plymouth. I am still undecided though.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Gloucester advice-should I buy a pub there decision content.’ is closed to new replies.