Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Glossop MTB
  • willber
    Free Member

Hi

Does anyone know of any doorstep riding around glossop? I know the peaks are local but still gotta drive 15 miles to get there. Just looking for somewhere from me doorstep??

Thanks

Will

amodicumofgnar

Wrong time of day to ask this one. My thoughts for what its worth.

Until the Pennine Bridleway link gets built then I think its a road climb from Charlesworth to the top end of the Hayfield riding. North of the town – Pennine Bridleway over Lees Hill into Stalybridge then loop back round through Mottram and into Hollingworth.

BWD to the forum for a proper answer

portlyone

Been on a few rides from Glossop with a mate, either north towards the reservoirs or south to Hayfield. Can be quite fun

Furious

Where in Glossop are you?

I live in Simmondley and have the choice of riding off road from Charlesworth (Town Lane) up the Salt Road up onto Coombes Edge and then round to the Pennine bridleway. From there you can go towards Rowarth, Marple and Roman Lakes or towards Lantern Pike and then onto many routes around Hayfield.

You can also just ride up Chunal, once here you could go down to the bottom of Shooting Cabins or turn right at the Grouse Pub and join the Pennine bridleway from here.

If you ride out of Glossop on the A57 towards Woolley Bridge, if you ride down the side of the Gun Inn you can ride off road over Hobson’s Moor and there are a few alternative routes once over this way.

Glossop riders really are blessed with easy access to off road riding and access to the peak without using a car.

OAP above is correct, I’m sure BWD will be along at some point to answer this in a fuller fashion.

willber
    Free Member

I live in Tintwistle – ride a bright green Nomad carbon if u ever see me out and about. I went out today over Arnfield Road onto the Bridleway there which was alright. I’m just trying to get a better idea of what’s around the area. I used to live in Simmondley – infant grew up there, Pennine Road and then Cotswold Close to be exact……small world.

amodicumofgnar

Punt

peakprowler
    Free Member

Since when has Glossop been 15 miles from the Peaks? It was 3 miles tops last time I looked.

BadlyWiredDog

Since when has Glossop been 15 miles from the Peaks? It was 3 miles tops last time I looked.

Continental drift. The A57 marks the edge of a major tectonic plate which is sliding towards Bolton at around 5 miles a year. We’ll be near Ramsbottom soon. But the council is keeping quiet about it to minimise the impact on local tourism.

Anyway… there’s lots of local stuff, legal and not quite so legal. There is/was/allegedly will be again, a regular night ride from High Peak Cycles, drop in some time and ask Jamie what’s happening. They’re on FB too. And there’s also a regular Wednesday night ride from Hayfield – Hayfield Hub also on FB – starts from the Royal at 7.30pm.

willber
    Free Member

Its about 15 miles to derwent/ladybower – which is where I usually start from.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Glossop MTB’ is closed to new replies.