Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Glentress Seven – big thumbs up
  • Dair
    Free Member

Well done to everyone involved. Great course, which stood up very well to the weather. The Trail Fairies should be especially proud of themselves.

Already looking forward to next year’s course!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

It was a superb course indeed!

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Aye, a great day out. Any results up? Anyone got any photos?

Northwind

Aye, a brilliant day… Not really my sort of thing but I had an absolute blast, the course was pretty inspired. Horrible climb aside. Superb organisation as well. I really thought the day was going down the tubes when the weather turned but no.

Two thumbs up!

stevemtb
    Free Member

Aye, it was a cracking course, great organisation and the marshalls were great too.

Did start to get a bit slidey in the afternoon, got a bit of a surprise at a bit I’d been flat out at the previous laps, certainly got my attention!!

@Dair – thought I’d seen you before the briefing but never spotted you later on, sure you weren’t just there soaking up the atmosphere 😉

Dair
    Free Member

@stevemtb you can’t have been looking far enough up the trail… 😉

Top.Dog
    Free Member

loved it.

richmtb

Was a really well run event very impressed. Big thumbs up to all the marshalls they were great.

I wasn’t blown away by the course,you didn’t seem to get a great pay off for all that climbing, but fair play it really held up well it was only cutting up on the final lap. I think I would have been better off on a hardtail though

stevemtb
    Free Member

@Dair – actually I was going slow enough for everyone to pass me multiple times!

First solo so tried to pace myself. Didn’t seem to work as energy completely went on lap 5, struggled to keep the bike on the trail on the last descent!!

Northwind

richmtb – Member

I think I would have been better off on a hardtail though

Oh, definately, it’s an XC route after all but there seemed to be a lot of big bikes around, what you might call glentress syndrome of needing an orange five to do an XC route 😉 I did it on my rigid which made for some pretty comical riding, hardtail or racy full suss would have been ideal I think.

But comparing with, say, 10UTB the climbs were more interesting, the descents more varied (and better built).

richmtb

Oh, definately, it’s an XC route after all but there seemed to be a lot of big bikes around, what you might call glentress syndrome of needing an orange five to do an XC route

You’re probably spot on.

I think I’m just not fit enought to enjoy all that climbing!

jonb
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

richmtb – Member

I think I would have been better off on a hardtail though

Oh, definately, it’s an XC route after all but there seemed to be a lot of big bikes around, what you might call glentress syndrome of needing an orange five to do an XC route I did it on my rigid which made for some pretty comical riding, hardtail or racy full suss would have been ideal I think.

Many people don’t own a bike for every different potential ride they’ll do. If they only own an orang 5 then it was probably the ideal bike for them as a 7hour walk wouldn’t have had the same appeal.

I thought the course, organisation and marshalling was very good. IT certainly got a little sketchy towards the end, not helped by the fact I was exhausted. Weather could have been better but that’s out of people control. Single figures for June though! How did you all get on? I got 8 laps in (on my 150mm full suss/race bike) so was pretty happy. DId the eventual winner get in 10?

Dair
    Free Member

The climbs were good. Nothing like an old fashioned fire-road slog to sort the field out. I thought the descents were very fair. Nothing too sketchy, but lots of fun.

Northwind

jonb – Member

Many people don’t own a bike for every different potential ride they’ll do. If they only own an orang 5 then it was probably the ideal bike for them as a 7hour walk wouldn’t have had the same appeal.

Aye, sure, but if people bring a big bike to an XC race they should expect to have it outgunned, is all I’m saying. I mean, I don’t have a DH bike so I DH my trail bike, I don’t complain that the tracks are a bit hard 😉

Diane
    Free Member

Really enjoyed watching/heckling/marshalling too. Great atmosphere and really well organised. Everyone put a lot of time and effort in.

Lots more events to take part in or watch during the week.

The crit ride in Peebles Tuesday night should be really exciting and don’t forget the two big days out in the hills next weekend.

jonb
    Free Member

Ah ok, I agree with that.

Northwind

Diane – Member

Really enjoyed watching/heckling/marshalling too. Great atmosphere and really well organised. Everyone put a lot of time and effort in.

Whereabouts were you?

Diane
    Free Member

All over. Mostly just after the change over where people were crossing the course to get to the Hub cafe. Then in the trees after the first grassy climb / last descent taking pics of my friends 🙂

Where were you – I think you must recognise me by now but I still don’t have a clue who you are! 😀

Northwind

I’d probably recognise you I think, but still trying to put a face to a disembodied internet name :mrgreen:

Diane
    Free Member

Hey guys – asked someone taking photos if he could put them up on Flicker under Tweedlove – and he did! Lots in there – leave him a ‘thankyou’ note 🙂

richyroth
    Free Member

It’s personal but I loved the course. Plenty of technical interest and some tough climbs. This was no muddy field! My Top Fuel was perfect for the terrain but got a bit clogged on the last laps. Big thanks to the organisers and the super cheery marshals – happy marshals make such a difference to an event! Hope it’s on again next year.

danlurinsky
    Free Member

I loved it, personally I thought the course got better as the weather got worse 🙂

The dual slalomy bit at the end was fun too.

Well done to all involved in the organisation. Roll on next year!

knottyknotty
    Free Member

yes the marshalls were awesome especially the lady doing star jumps and the like to keep warm ,all of them smiling and encoraging despite the weather ,brilliant day,well done to all involved
    i thought the course was great and tough

knottyknotty
    Free Member

where will the timing results be available?
    and there seemed to be a lot of freelance photographers
    anyone know where these picks will be posted

matth75
    Free Member

Great course, (apart from ‘that’ climb (but how else did I expect to get to the good bits?)), great atmosphere, marshalls & generally a positive experience all round – Big Thumbs up from me & I’ll be doing it again next year 😀

cupra
    Free Member

Course great, well done to all. Weather a bit sh!te. It would have been good to see a timing screen. More grumpy competitors on the course than other mtb events I have done and not many people saying pass on your left or right, just saying pass or excuse me or nothing at all, which isn’t that helpful. I also heard one marshall saying to someone in front of me that was walking a section, “you can’t be that bad” which whilst probably intended as a joke seemed to have an understandable negative effect. Other marshalls great especially star jump lady at the start of the blue section and all up for some banter. Will prob be back next year and do the mtb and road rides.
    Well done to all organisers and trail fairies.

Northwind

The only downside is, now I might be tempted to do another XC race, I thought I’d managed to knock that one on the head 👿

Deneo
    Free Member

Well done everyone at tweed love for organising such a great event yesterday. Very professional and friendly and great course too. Times up on Facebook for those interested.

Northwind

Camp Trailfairy, lowering the tone of the pits area

IMG_0046 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

Stevenmenmuir looking a little tired and emotional

IMG_0052 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

A highly motivated MC

IMG_0038 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

ChrisL a bit lost in transition

IMG_0041 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

Our mate Peter failing to complete his 3rd before the clock ran out… And his dad looking dead sympathetic :mrgreen:

IMG_0054 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

The knife I brought to the slightly-larger-knifefight, one tarted up £250 Carrera with insuffienct gears and even less suspension. Good fun.

IMG_0050 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

knottyknotty
    Free Member

hi deneo where about on facebook m8

jordie
    Free Member

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TweedLove/138953616122719
    here they are (fingers crossed this works)

mc
    Free Member

Northwind, was that after my first lap?

knottyknotty
    Free Member

any one else missing a lap?

Northwind

Aye, I think so MC.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Great day. I especially enjoyed it after ditching the singlespeed and its sketchy front tyre and taking out the 456 with a decent front tyre and an extra 26 gears. The little gears were very helpful. I have a bit of a trailfairy group photo which I’ll post up later so you can put faces to the workers.

radoggair
    Free Member

A great win for Rich then, but 5 mins was close. Heard some good reports about the course. Gutted i wasn’t there though 🙁

danlurinsky
    Free Member

Results on tweedlove Facebook. My team got third overall in mens trios

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Emotional=very happy to be finished 😀

pixelmix
    Free Member

Better presented results also now available here for those who are interested.

Dougal
    Free Member

Awesome course for my first solo endurance event. Was pretty happy to take third solo overall, and the fastest lap overall. Not so happy with the crash I had leaving transition for my third lap, resulting in lots of lost skin and a ruptured thumb ligament which is now splinted. Possibly looking at an op’ to fix that.

@Rich – Didn’t realised (a) Who you were, Keith Forsyth filled me afterwards and (b) that when you asked me if I was riding solo on the first lap that you were also riding solo.

Thanks to all the lovely people who were very gracious in letting me past.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Glentress Seven – big thumbs up’ is closed to new replies.