Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Glentress Scotland – Trail State
  • 0telly0
    Free Member

Hello everyone, me and a few mates are set to make the yearly blast upto Glentress from Leeds. I was just wondering what the state of the trail was like?

Thanks and happy new year!

Diane
    Free Member

Judging by the state of Inners trails I wouldn’t – would be very hard work (But then my legs aren’t very strong) You could try e mailing the warden or looking at the website.

You can still ride round abouts – if you know where to go but you wont be getting the miles in as it’s very hard work and you wont get very high up. The black would be hike a bike.

Others may have a better idea as I haven’t actually been recently

GW
    Free Member

Exactly the same as ever just might be covered in cold white stuff MTFU or stay at home, it’s your call!

thought northeners were meant to be tough!

Diane
    Free Member

You been this week GW?
    Mine were the only tracks at Inners yesterday for 60% of the ride.
    On the rest of the trail as far as i could tell there were 2 / 3 other tracks and one was mine from Tuesday when I was out for 4 odd hours and would have been in trouble from windchill had the last long descent not been too far from my door

Diane
    Free Member

Oh and BTW I am not from the North and I never said I was tough (But I am 😀 )

radoggair
    Free Member

surely you should make the yearly blast at a better time of the year, say summer when trails are fast and flowing and the days are daylight is longer 🙄

Liftman

Been at GT this morning, fresh layer of snow and more snow currently falling, hardened ice and compacted snow under the fresh snow.
    Most of it is rideable but i wouldnt be travelling from miles away to ride it, some of it is quite sketchy.
    Try the stanes at dumfries they generally get hit less with the snow.

Trekster

Mixed weather here in Dumfries today. Started of snowing on my way to work @ 5am. Turned to rain and very foggy. The snow is the horrible slushy stuff not last weeks dry crispy sort. Main roads are bad but B and other roads around here are atrocious.
    Doubt you will even get into the car park @ Mabie.
    The trails at Ae are probably rideable but the forest roads are usually a nightmare. Check web sites for Mabie & Ae, think cafes are closed till 4th Jan
    Kirry might be OK but snow is forecast for that area tonight.

Might give Mabie a go tomorrow and let you all know
    Being local fav I may not stick to the main trail tho 😉 Got a new toy to try out

0telly0
    Free Member

UGH hike a bike on the black sound rubbish! Well we’ve booked the hotel now so I think we might just have a good drinking session! I’m going to chuck the sledge in too. I hope it has a good freeze overnight because cold is ok, but cold and wet, no no!

Thanks for the heads up, might even give Mabie a blast, see what the crew wants to do.

BTW who is riding SPD’s?

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Got a new toy to try out

What you got then?
    Looking out the window now and having been for a walk earlier the paths and roads are all lethal. I can’t imagine the trail centres are going to be worthy of a chance outing. I will wait a few mroe days until the weather has sorted itself out. Let me know how Mabie is.

Trekster

BTW who is riding SPD’s?

Going to test my shiny new MW80s Santa brought me 😀

defaultslipper – Member

Got a new toy to try out

What you got then?

Kodak playsport vid camera from Daughter for Xmas 😆

ewawoowa
    Free Member

I tested my new MW80’s today at tress….. they wur ace!! i normally cant feel my toes after 30 minutes, but that wasn’t an issue today. 😀

oh, and the trails were ridable up to buzzards, but after that it was push time. on the way back down the trails it was hairy, but still good fun.

there is a thaw on, but it will take a time for that snow to clear. and unfortunately there was more snow falling during our ride.

Diane
    Free Member

OTellyO – don’t forget Drumlanrig – check if conditions are OK – last year when trails were unrideable here Drum was good and it’s ACE! 🙂

Top.Dog
    Free Member

is the road open up to the Buzzards nest carpark?

thv3
    Free Member

Road still closed today anyway up to top car park.

Was basically fine below spooky, obviously a few treacherous sections, but overall surprisingly good.

Northwind

Top Dog – Member

“is the road open up to the Buzzards nest carpark?”

Nope. Lots of ice.

It’s probably changed since monday but it was lovely then. Well apart from the fresh snow on old ice :mrgreen: There was a thin band of absolutely fantastic riding on virgin snow so we ended up doing laps of the freeride park, zoom or bust and pennel’s vennel more or less. Further up was hard work, further down very unpredictable.

I really would recommend leaving it til later. I didn’t mind, but then it’s 40 minutes away. On the plus side it was easy to get parked.

Liftman

update from my outing this morning.

upper car parks still closed as there is still patches of ice on the fire roads.

the trails are virtually ice/snow free apart from sections on spooky climb and descent. they are riding well and there isnt a lot of standing water which is good considering the amount of snow that has thawed.

daveb
    Free Member

Update from someone who was there today – riding well with a few icy sections.

Heading down to Innerleithen tomorrow so looking forward to that.

dancingfool
    Free Member

whats the latest?

daveb
    Free Member

Glentress is meant to be pretty good. Some icy patches but fine overall (on the red, not sure about black).

I was at Innerleithen today, a few snowy/icy patches up Minch Moor but all rideable and the trails were great.

0telly0
    Free Member

Looks like me n the crew are off up for a blast on the 22nd! Only a day trip this time. 400 mile round trip 😀 Looking forward to a run on the bike park!

thegman67

Was at GT yesterday and done the red 98% ice free the only ice we found on the trails where at Spooky Wood just as you go into the forest it’s the first drop off.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Glentress Scotland – Trail State’ is closed to new replies.