Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Glen Tilt – worth it this weekend?
  • Kit
    Free Member

I haven't a clue how much snow is around up there just now, or indeed how filthy its going to be after the rain this week… Just looking for a good ride for Saturday 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Drumochter webcam is showing a lot of snow – looks wet as well so either snowy or muddy or even both

http://trafficscotland.org/lev/

Kit
    Free Member

Hmmm, will keep an eye on that. Maybe a ride out of Pitlochry might be a better idea!

crouch_potato
    Free Member

In short, on a bike- no.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Don't even think about it if you are talking about the circuit. Last Thursday there was still some ice sitting on tracks at 400m, and Glen Tilt circuit takes you to 550m. Last night gave us another 3" of snow in the valleys, so probably 6" higher up. Plus snow melt would make the Allt Garbh Buidhe crossing "interesting"

Kit
    Free Member

A yes, I forgot about the river crossing! "What canoe for…"

mcmoonter
    Free Member

6 inches of snow and still falling at Gleneagles.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Methinks Glen Tilt will be 3ft under after this snow event…

Still, it will thaw much quicker than the last dump in Feb

DavidM
    Free Member

So how long do the locals think it will take for the snow event to thaw? Planned to head up next week, and this weather is really unfair

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Going to Ballater on the 10th of April and its not looking good.

clareymorris

Heading up to Dunkeld was planning on 2 days out….Loch Muick and Mount Keen……not sure how much of that is actually going to happen!!!

There looks like a fab local route from Dunkeld railway station, looks like we'll certainly be doing that one!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Depends how much falls over the next 48 hrs but forecast is for significant accumulations. As CM post implies some of the turf was still frozen before this so it looks highly unlikely you'd get round that circuit during the early part of next week.

Keep an eye here:

http://www.mwis.org.uk/mountain/SH.PDF

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Judging by the webcams and the forecasts I'd say nae chance of Mount Keen until well into next week. Wouldnt bank on anything around Dunkeld being rideable either.

10th is still a long way out – a mild snap and change of wind direction would strip most of this snowfall back off quite quickly

DavidM
    Free Member

Heather Bash – Do you know if there is any dance or ritual we could perform to bring about a mild snap and change of wind direction? 🙂

clareymorris

Oh well, we'll take the bikes up and have a bash (not a Heather Bash!!)

Best pop the walking boots in!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Clareymorris, call the guys in the bike shop in Ballater for up to date conditions. Loch Muick is only just up the road, if they dont know noone will.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Plan some low level stuff as well.?

druidh
    Free Member

Loch Muick and Mount Keen from Dunkeld? Seems like a lot of driving time.

clareymorris

Yeah I think local is the key for the weekend, I hear there is some excellent riding straight out of the town!

Loch Muick from Glen Clova so about an hour and a bit from Dunkeld (although not probably in these current conditions!!)?

Mount Keen for another time for sure!!!!!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Dont suppose you ski? 😉

devs
    Free Member

Here's Loch Morlich at the moment. You do not want to be any where above 100m at the moment I would say. At Glenlivet the snow is 1" deep in places. Unfortunately it's also 4 ft deep wherever there is any kind of shelter from the wind. It's going to take a couple of weeks to shift even at lower levels if we get a thaw. Which has got to be inevitable hasn't it? Please!

devs
    Free Member

Here's what my pal woke up to this morning!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

I'm more than happy with this – skiing all next week in the Gorms 😉

crouch_potato
    Free Member

I'm more than happy with this – skiing all next week in the Gorms

Yup, the more snow the merrier- I'm just off out for a wee post-work ski, unfortunately can't make it out all weekend, should be a good one.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Yeah, could be epic. I just hope they don't take 3 days to dig out the link road and the choo choo track this time ;-(

devs
    Free Member

I wouldn't get too excited about the skiing. The wind is far too strong so it'll be completely scrubbed in a lot of places and yes, anything that can catch it, like roads, will take ages to clear!

jimmy

Even the Pentlands are white again, Kit. You've probably seen. Hmmm maybe Sheffield should be on…

radoggair
    Free Member

There looks like a fab local route from Dunkeld railway station, looks like we'll certainly be doing that one!

Clarey M…… there's also a fantastic 50 miler which goes from dunkeld to pitlochrie return, a good all dayer, although there is plenty of that way as well

I'm up in Ballater/ Braemar at the end of May. Fingers already crossed.

13thfloormonk

I'm supposed to be riding to Cape Wrath mid-may, I'm already fearing the worst… (not helped by a failed puncture repair outside because my hands were too numb)

Woody
    Free Member

Bah. I tried to get up to the Lecht yesterday and gave up when I hit a 2ft snowdrift just after Corgarff at 11am !

Fingers crossed for end April/May when I'm next up there.

druidh
    Free Member

clareymorris – Member
    Yeah I think local is the key for the weekend, I hear there is some excellent riding straight out of the town!

Depending on snow conditinos etc, you could do a lot worse than head up to Loch Ordie, and extend round the Oissineach Lochs.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I wouldn't get too excited about the skiing. The wind is far too strong so it'll be completely scrubbed in a lot of places<

Suit yourself – the webcams and early indicators from CML staff are telling a slightly different story 😉

http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/snow-sports-at-cairngorm-mountain/weather-update

trail_rat
    Free Member

snows gone in aberdeen and as far as eye can see into them thar hills ….

sun is blazing and its windy

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Clare, I'm in Aberfeldy, just up the road from Dunkeld. Give me a shout if you want to do something over this way – can show you guys around the local area. Email in profile

jimmy

Anyone riding Stirling kind of way on Saturday? Dum Yat maybe?

househusband

Anyone riding Stirling kind of way on Saturday? Dum Yat maybe?

Sounds like a good suggestion – Dumyat particularly nice on a clear day. Can't help but wonder if snow higher up might make it a bit of a trek?

wolverine
    Free Member

Just to let you know, Laggan Wolftrax has escaped most of the Snow and all the trails are open and rideable. You can view recent images of trail conditions on the BaseCamp Bikes site null

clareymorris

Well we had to try it….. Loch Muick…..and guess what, we had to give up when the snow got knee deep!!!
    The thing it it was such a great forecast, sun and no wind, that we had to try it!!!

Of course we should have known better but hey worth it to be out in shirtsleeves!
    Riding more than 20yards in one go is overrated anyway 🙂

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Dumyat doesn't look too bad from this webcam pic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Glen Tilt – worth it this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.