Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Gisburn- Worth the visit lately? (I miss singletrack) :o(
  • hora
    Free Member

Peaks is good but I yearn for more percentage singletrack no matter what quality..

Whats Guisburn like now? Boggy or worth the visit?

dano
    Free Member

Its very dry, but not the best trail centre imo…

hora
    Free Member

Problem is nothing much is nearish to me? Penmachno is just too far at 2hrs each way and Llandegla isn't worth the 1hr10min each way.

loulouk
    Free Member

Gisburns still being built. New bits going in north of the Downhill bit, I think. Hully Gully is finished for definite. Yesterday it turned into a yellow puddled mess of disintegrating slippiness but it will be reet with a bit of sun, which came today, so should be alright by tomorrow.

hora
    Free Member

Saw the STW mag article a while back with the cracking Irish(?) looking pub staff handing a drink to a female rider…..corrrr

loulouk
    Free Member

*facepalms*

stumpyjon

It's pretty dry, new bit with some log rides due to open in a couple of weeks then we're going to try and bypass a large chunk of fireroad with some new singletrack.

Definitely better riding than Llandegla (but then I would say that wouldn't I).

What about Lee / Cragg Quarry. It's a good 2 – 3 hour loop now if you link the two quarries together, longer if you play more, also very very dry.

hora
    Free Member

At risk of being shot, I don't like Lee Quarry. I can't put my finger on it but (for me) Only one bit back down to the carpark flows. The rest just feels stilted and disjointed.

robgarrioch

cracking Irish(?) looking pub staff handing a drink to a female rider…..corrrr

Ah, someone else noticed that too – didn't she look like some beautiful ghost with a tragic past out of a gothic novel? Must remember the name of that hotel…

stumpyjon

I don't like Lee Quarry. I can't put my finger on it but (for me) Only one bit back down to the carpark flows.

Get over to Cragg Quarry then, very different, much more flow.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Is it easy enough to ride between Lee Quarry and Cragg Quarry now then? Got a spare day in the area in July and was thinking of either Lee/Cragg or Gisburn (too lazy to map read for one day, and a couple of laps of Lee on its own isn't long enough)

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Get over to Cragg Quarry then, very different, much more flow.

Aye, Cragg Quarry is brilliant and has lots of flow…

…you have to pedal though! ;))

haddock
    Free Member

Hora – When you thinking of going up there?

stumpyjon

pixelmix

at the moment it's not too bad, bit boggy for a few yards in the middle but I managed to ride it all last time I was there. The official link won't be put into the Autumn but if you leave Lee Quarry on the terrace at the back right, you'll see a rocky track leading off to the left which rapidly becomes singletrack. Follow this to the burnt out Landrover (heading away from Cragg), turn right and you'll pick up a sheeptrack, follow this, drop down a bit with a wall on your right, then stay high to avoid the boggy bit. Go through a couple of gates and then follow the double track to Rooley Moor road.

hora
    Free Member

Ah, someone else noticed that too – didn't she look like some beautiful ghost with a tragic past out of a gothic novel?

Aye! SPOT ON is what I thought. A ye-old romantic looking lady to boot.

Ok, just back. On Hully Gully- why is the second section of big berms covered in loose aggregate? …bit unnerving especially going into that slighlty steepish rocky roll in 😕

stumpyjon

Because we haven't had much rain since it was resurfaced and people kept riding it while it was bedding in despite loads of barriers and tape.

hora
    Free Member

Ah ok. There wasn't any barriers/tape to day (for the record) 🙂

Best bit (for me) is always the subtle bits on a trail- one of the last sections of trail where the blue also shares with the red- that leads into two small wooden bridges….the first section of that really flows and was a hoot! 🙂

stevemakin

Delamere

stumpyjon

No you're fine now, Hully Gully officially reopenned a couple of weeks ago.

That section of the blue is good, I particularly like the S berm in the middle. Ed Oxley uses it for training as well.

hora
    Free Member

That section of the blue is good, I particularly like the S berm in the middle.

= Sublime.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks for the info SJ – will take an OS map and try to figure it own over the summer. Will have to see if I can fit in a wee Gisburn ride some other time too.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn- Worth the visit lately? (I miss singletrack) :o(’ is closed to new replies.