Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Gisburn Forest questions.
  • afrothunder88

Hello,

Gonna head back to Gisburn Forest tomorrow and I have a few questions:

1. Where is the DH stuff? I have previously read that its near the Quarry, is that after the climb that leads off from the junction where you go up the climb outbound and go straight on if you're heading back to the carpark? Not very well put I know.

2. Whats the best way to do the rollercoaster section again? At the bottom you can go left to follow the trails or right up a hill, is turning right and going up the best way to get back to the start of that section?

Thanks,

Ricky

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

here

It's very short and there was some clear felling a few months ago so not sure what's still there.

Gary_C

For the rollercoaster section,turn right at the bottom,up the climb to a fire road,turn right & keep going (1/4 mile or so),until you reach the top of the rollercoaster.

A couple of photos of the d/h:
    Gap:

One of the three drop-offs from the fire-road after the gap:

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Turning right at the bottom of the rollercoaster takes you up the red descent (the rollercoaster is graded black). Yes it is the quickest way and I don't suppose it's a problem as long as you keep a look out for people coming down it and be prepared to give way. But don't ever dare moan and winge on here about people riding trails the wrong way, I'll be watching! 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

does the trail go anywhere near the pub/cafe at all whilst on the route . it would be nice to do a lap and a half then nip off trail for a brew then continue 😉
    my bike at gisburn other day 😉

stumpyjon

Yes to the pub question. Instead of turning up the hill to the quarry, go straight on as if you are on the homeward leg. At the fireroad junction where you bear right, go left uphill instead. You come to a T junction, left takes you to the quarry, right takes you down to Tosside, there's sometimes a sign there for the pub.

firestarter
    Free Member

jon would that be the hill my bike is at the top of in the pic ? i got to a gate below and it was left for the figure 8 or ahead for home ?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

jon means, at the gate below (Hesbert hall), you head straight on as if for home. Then, at the next junction, you turn left and up the hill (right would be for home), then take a right along a forest road to Tosside and pub. It's a bit of a divert, but then the whole route isn't that long anyway.

Alternatively, from where your picture is taken, coming to the top of the hill, you would turn right to go to the pub (left would be to continue the trail). Then you just go in a straight line down the forest trail.

If you click on my map above, you should beable to workout what I mean to get to Tosside. Your photo would have been taken a little back down the trail from where my arrow marker is.

firestarter
    Free Member

nice one it makes sense that. cheers mick

Junkyard
    Free Member

stumpy /b.n anna what is the signposting like now is it in existence / easy to follow?

firestarter
    Free Member

junkyard i think it all seemed to be there the other day . well i managed to get round the figure 8 loop without getting lost lol

izakimak
    Free Member

Junkyard all the signposting seems to be in, except for on piece after the volunteer section, when you get to the bottom go left after about 100yds there is an entrance on the right. This bit is new section so i guess they have not got round to it yet. I've been up today and was very busy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

cheers all thinking of a night ride and not wanting to be left alone in the forest with just me and cr@p signage
    izakimak give me an e-mail next time you are going

izakimak
    Free Member

Junkyard will do. I'll see you next week onn the next stw ride.

Ed-O
    Free Member

If you call in at http://www.dogandpartridgetosside.co.uk/ they will show you where to get to the trails from there and where the DH tracks are. You can also park there. Very nice people.

DH tracks are still intact despite the felling – they just look completely different without the trees!

Well worth a trip to Gisburn it's a good ride out with plenty of engaging technical sections and fun bits.

firestarter
    Free Member

dont think i'll be hitting the downhill bits without some lessons from you ed or i'll keep crashing lol

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

izakimak – Member

Junkyard all the signposting seems to be in, except for on piece after the volunteer section, when you get to the bottom go left after about 100yds there is an entrance on the right. This bit is new section so i guess they have not got round to it yet. I've been up today and was very busy.

That bit is either not finished, and/or so new the posts are yet to go in. I haven't been digging there for a few weeks, so not sure what progress has been made on that bit, but the ground was really good, so we were making fast progress laying down armoured trail each dig day. Hopefully they did a nice little techy bit at the end of it (which we planned a few weeks ago).

2hottie
    Free Member

BA, I went to the last dig, Only four of us in the end. The cutting the corner section ie the last volunteer bit was 99% done. However the trail needs to bed in so would suggest going on it just yet. The black line at the end with the stone pitching then the tight left hand berm wasn't finished as Martyn said he would need to work on it some more. Hence no sign posts yet.. however that was two weeks ago so anything could have happened!?

fizzer
    Free Member

Me at Gisburn last night check rucsac

madeinyorkshire
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack, but did I read somewhere that there a campsite near the Dog and Partridge at Tosside ? If so anyone recommend it ?

Ed-O
    Free Member

Yes there is a campsite near the Dog & Partridge. It's Hartley's campsite 01729 840662. It was recommended to me by the pub, although I haven't stayed there yet.

Let us know how you get on.

higgo
    Free Member

How are the trails bedding in? Do they still have 'new trail slideyness' after rain?

Thinking of popping up on Sunday (after rain).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I don't think anything will have changed in that regard. I'm not sure that it's anything to do with it being new trail, it's had plenty of time to bed in. Rather, the material used in certain places is not ideal IMO. Also, I'm guessing that Martin Colledge (the FC forester) is probably not entirely thrilled with that particular surface material.

higgo
    Free Member

Well I enjoyed that. A couple of sections give new meaning to the word 'slidey' but they were still fun (because I survived them!)

It's a long drive from me so I'm not sure I'll be back too often but if I lived close by, I reckon I'd use it loads.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

No one has commented on the name place on the map, Cocklick End, bloody brilliant.

Went to Gisburn yesterday, very good trails, will be going back soon, as for a nightride……….ridic but would be fun.

Iceman
    Free Member

Look out for "The Ducky Fuzz" brew wagon,on the car park. Nice food and a very nice Fella as well 🙄

higgo
    Free Member

I finished the ride with a coffee and a chunk of 'rocky road' from Mr Ducky Fuzz.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Iceman – Member
    Look out for "The Ducky Fuzz" brew wagon,on the car park. Nice food and a very nice Fella as well

I reckon Fuzzy Duck had a "thing" for you iceman 😳 😉

Iceman
    Free Member

Do ya think he shaves his eye brows 😮

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn Forest questions.’ is closed to new replies.