Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • gisburn forest
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

anyone got a postcode or directions to this area. how long is the red route currently and is it any good?

taka
    Free Member

you wana try the black route

taka
    Free Member

BD23 4SQ park at the pub then go in after the ride 😉 its got a bike wash etc. good food n drink

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonny-m
    Free Member

whats the length/ time of each route approximatley?

taka
    Free Member

erm if your doing the old routes i think the red was 12km and it recommends 2-3hrs but it can be done alot quicker but its more fun if you just nip off down the new bits and see where they go 😉 the big berms are on the black route near the slab at the top you dont need to be a pro to do them either my mate did them on a cx bike! look on google for the routes

heres on of here a while ago

this ones more deitailed

hope it helps

tom

taka
    Free Member

the pub is at the petrol pump sign on the first map then you just ride up the fire road to the red route

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Ive been up there and done the red route recently, tbh compared to dalby forest gisburn red route is really short, well seemed it to me but theres alot better technical routes at gisburn, ive been told if you do the red route up until it gives you a bit of a decision to go onto the black by going downhill off the red, its alot better, but its improved since i last went 🙂

taka
    Free Member

the firstmap is the "new" redroute at the top endof it you can fork off onto the black route whichyou should do… and then i joins upto the red again

mybike
    Free Member

taka – Member
    the pub is at the petrol pump sign on the first map then you just ride up the fire road to the red route

Tom, thats a pint glass 8)

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

ah, i just stuck to the red all the way because it was my first time since the new construction, wasent sure if the black would rejoin or not lol ;p

taka
    Free Member

lol are you going up on the 16th of jan for that kona demo thing?

grumm
    Free Member

black sections are the best bits imo.

Ed-O
    Free Member

Here's the pub. You couldn't hope for a warmer welcome and they've started selling Hope components and Kona clothing.

http://www.dogandpartridgetosside.co.uk/

There's a map linked in to their site.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Saw your van there yesterday Ed. Didn't see you hacking those trees into logs though. They are massive!!!

gregs891
    Free Member

we went on friday and its ok for a xc route or nite ride but well boreing

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Second the pub comments from Ed-O.

Worth using it as a base and buying lunch / a pint etc…They don't mind if you're covered in mud and soaking wet either. 😀 Eh Ed!

stumpyjon

its ok for a xc route or nite ride but well boreing

You seem to be in a minority there matey. Where do you normally ride that's so exciting?

el_diablo
    Free Member

Canal Paths?

stumpyjon

Miaow 😉

Seamus
    Free Member

gregs891 – Member
    we went on friday and its ok for a xc route or nite ride but well boreing

Either got lost or trolling 😕

el_diablo
    Free Member

How was todays dig Jon? Have you finished it yet?

stumpyjon

Nah, left a bit for the rest of you to do. Got quite a lot done since Thursday, got the S bend before the trees all in and the bulk of a little bridge over the ditch. Coming along nicely. Trouble is the next dig isn't until the 13th so things will slow down a bit now.

Nigel P has plans for even more fiendish log rides a bit further down though so I can see things expanding.

Rather nice little video here of the digging and riding.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

even more fiendish log rides

The one that you're building looks quite fiendish enough for me. Don't have a clue how to do the drop off, on a corner from the top tree to the bottom one. Might chicken out of that bit.

roddersrambler
    Free Member

Had my first trip up here today.Parked up at the pub,which by the way is very good.Fine chilli and chips and a decent pint.
    Going from the pub you end up doing two loops,the first i found to be very rough,i put this down to the weather.I'm sure the rain has washed away some of the smaller stuff.
    The second loop was much better and the fast tight slalom type rutty sections were very good.
    I also stummbled across a very good natural singletrack section….if you go up the climb were the in/out signs give you an option,turn left at the top,then go straight on past the right turn to go onto the red trail and down the fire road.About 300 yards past this is a turn left into the wood…wow very good indeed ! 😀

Ed-O
    Free Member

A good new bit of trail you trail building Hobbits have put in since I was there on Thursday.

ChatsworthMusters – I was working up there yesterday and today, hence the van at the D&P. Having a pint at the end of both days as well – well you do have to have a debrief 🙂

Coolhandluke – you knows it 🙂

gregs891
    Free Member

theres a lot of work gone in to it but is just do'nt give u a buz jus boring stumpyjon we ride in the peaks

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

theres a lot of work gone in to it but is just do'nt give u a buz jus boring stumpyjon we ride in the peaks

And in English?

grumm
    Free Member

is just do'nt give u a buz jus boring

If you're going to slag off peoples' hard work you could at least bother to spell it properly. I wonder if you even rode it all.

FWIW I think there are some really good bits and some not so good bits – the volunteer sections and the two black bits are great fun but quite a bit of the rest is so-so imo.

tony_m
    Free Member

Been sampling the local produce perhaps? 😉

gregs891
    Free Member

i am not slagging off peoples hard work, they must have worked very hard but all i am saying is that its a xc route and is is this spelling any betterrrrrrrrrrrr

grumm
    Free Member

Yes it's an XC route, what were you expecting?

gregs891
    Free Member

for it to give you a buzz

grumm
    Free Member

Did you not get a buzz out of the silly huge berms on that gully bit? One of the most fun sections of a trail centre that I've ridden. The slab and the little section of berms/jumps after it is pretty fun too, as is the optional black bit just before it that goes down to the big rocky berm thing.

A lot of the rest of it (apart from the volunteer bit) I wasn't too thrilled by but it was ok.

gregs891
    Free Member

yeah the big berms were good some bits before that as well, it mite just be me,there's a lot have work gone into it tho,

stumpyjon

Still not sure what you were expecting though. I've not ridden many trail centres but I'd say a lot of it is on a par with Afan or Cwmcarn except for the sustained descents, that said there is still a lot of pedealling at those two centres to get to the descents. It's definitely better than Llandegla. There is good riding in the Peaks but you've still got to connect it up which surely isn't that thrilling.

neil853
    Free Member

I've riden pretty much every trail centre in the UK now and the only thing missing at Gisburn like stumpyjon says is sustained decents, but thats not a criticsm at all its just the way it is. I think Gisburn is fantastic and they've cleverly used what elevation they have to create some really nice sections of singletrack that have turned out to be really technical. to get it right and clean the whole loop you have to be a confident/fit rider. No its not an all day epic but for what it is, its well worth a trip. I'm luck enough to live 30 minutes away from it and night ride there every week.

I think some comments are especially harsh as a lot of it has been made by hand with design on peoples direct input. I have the upmost respect for what they have done and should only be commended on it! 😆

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Can't help feeling that a small number of bits of Gisburn are designed purely as an obstacle course. I'm thinking of the approach to the highest bit. (That's the second section after the pub) There was a complaint on here last week that rocks were being bypassed. I had a good look on Saturday and it's true they are. But, the rocks just seem to have been dropped on the trail in the hope that we will ride them. Doesn't seem very well thought out. Also, there are a few sections of rock garden which completely knock your speed, then there is an upwards slanting rock, with a drop off at the top. Speed is needed to ride the rock/drop off section, but speed has been lost on the approach. It may be OK for mtb gods, but most of us are just ordinary blokes.

If one is allowed to criticise the course designer – this style has been seen in other trails that he's designed. I get the feeling that too much is being crammed into too short a stretch, then the rest of the course is comparatively "easy". The staircase on the bottom loop is excellent, as is much of the sweeping singletrack . Of course it's an XC course, but to my uneducated eye it looks as if the top loop has taken the bulk of the funding, and everything else has suffered for it.

I'm left with the feeling that this trail has been designed to fit nicely on a CV somewhere. Good bits to show off to prospective clients, but large bits are there just to make up the distance.

I'm available for public execution on Thursday morning!!!

stumpyjon

Chats – I know what you mean about the rocks in the top section, I know they were very deliberate and understand why they are there but on balance I'm not sure I would have included them. As for funding, yes the top loop took the lions share, apart from the two sections approaching the car park everything else has been built by hand and only materials have cost.

Thankfully most people seem to like our hand built bits. We are slowly removing fireroad from the bottom loop so it should get better. Don't forget it's very much phase 1 at the moment. There are plans to extend the top loop and remove a lot of extra fireroad.

To be honest I'm just pleased it's all generated so much interrest.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Having spent an awful lot of time and effort building Stainburn and being very familiar with the "developing" nature of trials (and the fact you can't please all the people, all the time) I won't comment much on individual bits of the trail. Sunday was my first visit and I was unfit plus the weather was cold and soggy, not exactly "showcase" conditions 😉

However, what seem like siginificant sections have taken a huge battering and are rapidly deteriorating into quagmires. I can't really point to them as I don't know the trail but e.g. bits leading to the crag / slab etc.

Other sections were lovely.

I think the place will suffer badly from its popularity (what an oxymoron) without a significant second injection of cash / load of volunteer time etc. Having seen the quarry I think they've got a fair bit of material 😉

Design and construction is always a learning experience and I'm sure the guys involved are taking that in all the time. Good luck to them and congratulations on the successes so far 😎

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Is the top (green) bit on the second map open yet? Or is this were all the work is in progress?

Haven't been since the summer, but might be tempted back for some new bits.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘gisburn forest’ is closed to new replies.