Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Gingerbread update for HTC Desire…
  • crikey
    Free Member

Got bored, thought I’d give it a whirl, seems to be okay, no problems.
    Has got rid of all those crappy Orange branding things that the muppets insist on putting on. Bit quicker, needed to download a new flashlight app, but otherwise all is as it should be.

takisawa2

What does it do ? I have this HD version. Is it an app?

s4rpf
    Free Member

mine has now just started rebooting after about 2 weeks of this update when ever i use camera

rob-jackson
    Free Member

does it not mess up the mms/sms?

crikey
    Free Member

No problems with sms, dunno about mms, I don’t use them when I can email instead. Takisawa, its an upgrade to the operating system, much delayed and compromised, the main reason I did it was to get rid of all that Orange branded crap that some bloody fool at Orange thinks is a good idea. No, just stop with the rubbish..

Martz
    Free Member

If you use Google Nav, you’ll need to dl Morelocale 2 from the Market, unless you really like the american accent (voice determined by language settings, the 2.3 update gets rid of English UK).

Wifi also drops and changes to mobile internet much earlier than it did with 2.2 (This is a known problem). You can keep it connected to WiFi longer by turning off mobile internet.

You’ll also have a little less space for apps vs a factory 2.2 rom (might have a little more if you’re coming from the orange branded rom).

Those niggles aside, I’ve found it perfectly stable, a little bit faster, and the battery lasts slightly longer 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

what orange crap is removed? its not full gingerbread tho is it due to size/space constraints?

crikey
    Free Member

Gets rid of the demo games, the Orange music store thing in the music player, the start up branding, Orange maps and maybe some other stuff.
    I was running with about 80megs free on my phone, after I had about 100megs free.
    It’s noticeably quicker for internet access.

Martz
    Free Member

what orange crap is removed? its not full gingerbread tho is it due to size/space constraints?

Orange “apps” like maps, talk, crap game demos etc.

Its full 2.3 gingerbread with HTC sense. You use a little app space, flashlight app, official facebook app & most of the wall papers. All can be re-installed and come with the update file.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how do i do it then? will i lose anything~?

crikey
    Free Member

Put ‘ desire gingerbread update’ into Google, and have a read of a few of the articles.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

my desire is not branded so seems little point, rooting is the better option i think

deviant
    Free Member

Doesn’t the network automatically send out Android operating system updates? Gingerbread (2.3) has been around for some time?

crikey
    Free Member

Not for the desire, see the above googling for the story..

legend
    Free Member

For those of us not on Orange, is there really much point in this update?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not sure if there’s much anyway…

My browser slows massively when it gets to 150MB

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Gingerbread update for HTC Desire…’ is closed to new replies.