Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Giant Alpecin taken out by car
  • kilo

http://teamgiantalpecin.com/update-on-training-accident/

Bit grim, BBC says it was a UK driver on wrongs side of the road

cloudnine
    Free Member

Probably just making progress and then smidsy / sun was in my eyes excuse…

matt_outandabout

😥

project
    Free Member
    butcher

Sounds nasty. Seen a picture of the bikes posted on Facebook earlier and it didn’t look pretty.

There was a really bad crash in the Tour de San luis too.

Speedy recovery to all involved.

km79
    Free Member

And here I was thinking from the thread title that a Giant Alpecin was some kind of rare animal I’d never heard of.

butcher

Little bit more info, via Google Translate…

Chad Haga , with a possible hip fracture, and John Degenkolb , with very deep cuts in their joints, it seems that both riders have been most affected by the incident but still no official confirmation. In addition, Le Telegramme reported, after speaking with the agent Barguil, the promising French rider had suffered a broken wrist and a major blow to the knee. “The car did not have time to stop and rolled them frontally. The impact was violent and cyclists could not do anything about it, ” explained the French Barguil agent said medium.

Source

DrJ

British police would probably be charging the cyclists with … well, something.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Richard Moore ?@richardmoore73 15m15 minutes ago
    Sounds like Degenkolb will keep his left index finger. He says on his Facebook page that it ‘just hung on.’ On his way to bigger hospital.

José Been ?@TourDeJose 31m31 minutes ago
    José Been Retweeted Bart Ranke
    Degenkolb already had many wounds stitched, now on his way to Valencia to get finger sewn back on. Almost severed 🙁

RustyMac

Sounds nasty.

John Degenkolb seems to have had a really bad run of bad luck, hopefully every one makes a full and speedy recovery and the driver is suitably prosecuted.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Idly scanning the thread headings here, I assumed a giant alpecin was some kind of animal and this would be Youtube footage.

A bit underwhelmed now. 😕

JoeG
    Free Member

The bikes 😯

oldnpastit

That’s really nasty.

andyl
    Free Member

This is horrible.

Looks like it could* a case of forgetting which side of the road she should be on:

Emergency services on the scene reported that the car was driven by an Englishwoman who had driven onto the wrong side of the road.
    Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/01/news/giant-alpecin-riders-injured-in-training-crash_393738#Vo5qj7D4yEPtcL92.99

*other reasons are possible of course

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Stupid driver! Wrong side of the road?!

Should be banned from driving but will only have to pay for insurance claims.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Should be banned from driving but will only have to pay for insurance claims

Honestly should be in prison.

crazy-legs

Honestly should be in prison.

Hopefully the laws in Spain are a bit tougher than here, she deserves to have the book thrown at her for that one. That picture is awful. 🙁

That’s potentially one massive insurance payout too. 6 bikes at what, £10,000 each. 6 world class riders who now cannot compete for maybe the whole season – loss of earnings on that must run in millions. Losses/damages to Giant-Alpecin if they can’t field a team for the top races.

Best wishes to the team, just thankful that it wasn’t as bad as it could have been.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Honestly, I can forgive someone accidentally driving on the wrong side of the road when abroad far easier than where drivers choose to drive recklessly/aggressively, like the case not so long ago where someone deliberatly cut a blind corner, hit a cyclist head on and blamed them for wobbling or something like that. And luckily it sounds like they will all make good recoveries.

theotherjonv

I’m not a fan of convicting the driver before the facts are established. ‘Reportedly’ on the other side of the road, with no reason given as yet isn’t yet a case.

Healing vibes to the riders.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m not a fan of convicting the driver before the facts are established

We have a VERY poor track record for this on this forum. Mind you, we haven’t started victim blaming yet either.

loss of earnings on that must run in millions

Do they not get paid if they can’t ride?

scotroutes

An English woman driving in Spain? I wouldn’t assume she was on holiday or unfamiliar with the roads.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Do they not get paid if they can’t ride?

Sure there would be considerable win bonuses with Degenklob targeting the early season classics again. Loss of advertising exposure too. A repeat of last season with wins at San Remo and Paris Roubaix would be hard to put a value on.

Assume Barguil was their man for the Tour too, media attention from a French rider doing well would be hard to put a figure on.

butcher

Honestly, I can forgive someone accidentally driving on the wrong side of the road when abroad far easier than where drivers choose to drive recklessly/aggressively, like the case not so long ago where someone deliberatly cut a blind corner, hit a cyclist head on and blamed them for wobbling or something like that. And luckily it sounds like they will all make good recoveries.

I completely agree. Though as said, very little is known about the facts. Hopefully it’s properly investigated anyway.

aracer
    Free Member

Do you think it’s likely the reports are inaccurate? I’m happy to be as charitable as possible, because it seems most likely it was a “driving in a foreign country” mistake, in which case I’m with thecaptain – it’s easy to get distracted by the severity of the outcome when any punishment ought only to reflect her actions.

As others suggest, I suspect she might be hitting the limit of her insurance company’s 3rd party liability with that – the value of the bike is trivial, it’s the losses to the riders and the team which could run into multi-millions.

theotherjonv

I said reportedly because that’s what the article I read said. I don’t think it’s in question myself, but if it isn’t correct then you’d have to assume that the cyclists were on her side instead.

What I’m not happy with is the assumption of guilt before any investigation. MAYBE she’d swerved to avoid a child who’d run into the road……. or she was texting her friend. We don’t know yet and until we do deciding her sentence is pointless.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not wanting to jump to conclusions but the description from Ludvigsson doesn’t exactly say anythiong good for the driver.

“It should never have happened”

Ludvigsson said via Twitter that the accident should not have happened. Emergency services in Spain said that an English woman was driving the vehicle and perhaps invaded the opposite side of the rode, hitting the six Giant-Alpecin riders.

“It’s a shock that will sit for a long time, should not have to happen, completely straight road and a car driving on the wrong side of us, impossible to protect themselves,” he posted on Twitter in Swedish, adding in English: “For all who wondering, I’m after all pretty good with nothing broken, just pain, I’m lucky we all are alive,Thank you for all messages!!”
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/degenkolb-and-giant-alpecin-teammates-lucky-to-be-alive-says-agent/

Honestly, I can forgive someone accidentally driving on the wrong side of the road when abroad far easier than where drivers choose to drive recklessly/aggressively, like the case not so long ago where someone deliberatly cut a blind corner, hit a cyclist head on and blamed them for wobbling or something like that.

For me this completely undermines the situation, hey it’s OK they were not familiar with the roads or got distracted, they didn’t mean to plough into a group of innocent people. Every time you get into a car, drive or anything like that you have to be aware, have to be concentrating and have to accept responsibility for your actions.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Healing vibes to the team…

Isn’t this a case, though, were ‘presumed liability’ (I don’t know the correct term!) will apply, and the driver will be on the hook for this unless she can prove the riders were in the wrong??

Paging Bez…

MrSmith
    Free Member

Every time you get into a car, drive or anything like that you have to be aware, have to be concentrating and have to accept responsibility for your actions.

This.^

RoterStern
    Free Member

A truly horrific accident and a miracle no one was killed. A similar accident happened in these parts a few years ago but the driver hit the Australian women’s road team and two or three died.

Edit. Sorry it wasn’t two or three it was one , Amy Gillet, and five seriuosly injured.

robdob
    Free Member

I think it’s amazing no one died – even if the car driver was only doing 30mph the cyclists were probably not far off the same speed (being top pros in the world probably means they weren’t doing a tea shop bimble!). More than likely a 60mph plus combined collision speed – I would have expected a far worse outcome.

Sounds like they will recover, albeit maybe slowly over a long time for one or two, hope that they can get back to doing what they love soon.

butcher

For me this completely undermines the situation, hey it’s OK they were not familiar with the roads or got distracted, they didn’t mean to plough into a group of innocent people. Every time you get into a car, drive or anything like that you have to be aware, have to be concentrating and have to accept responsibility for your actions.

I’m not sure anyone’s saying it’s OK, or acceptable. It definitely isn’t. But we are all human and each and every one of us makes mistakes occasionally, including potentially dangerous ones. And it’s a whole lot more forgiveable than when people drive knowingly dangerously.

The circumstances do sound very odd though from the descriptions offered up so far. Apparently the driver lives in Spain for 6 months of the year too, so it’s not like she’s not used to it.

gwaelod
    Free Member

The biggest mistake people make is not realising a car is a seriously dangerous piece of machinery and a moments I attention when controlling it can kill people. Gross negligence is a more appropriate phrase than a moments in attention.

scaled
    Free Member

Seems she spends 6months a year in Spain.

Can you imagine the tabloids if a foreigner did that over here, they’d be frothing between locking them up and deporting them.

Horrible for all involved in the crash, my grandad has just given up his licence, I’d dred to think what he would have been like driving on the continent.

chakaping
    Free Member

Horrible news.

Big fan of Giant Alpecin, hope the riders are gonna be OK.

Regarding the driver – I’m more confident of justice being served in Spain than here.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Can you imagine the tabloids if a foreigner did that over here, they’d be frothing between locking them up and deporting them.

They’d be too busy blaming the cyclists for riding more than single file 😐

Eddiethegent

I’ll start by saying that I know nothing about the incident described above and I won’t speculate on the cause. Neither am I attempting to place the blame with anyone other than the driver if what has been reported is accurate. But let me tell you a story……

…..I used to live and work in Switzerland. I drove the 10km to and from work almost every day for 2 years and never had any problems with adapting to driving on the right hand side of the road. I considered myself to be an normal, competent driver. One Friday evening, after a difficult week at work, I managed to drive almost all of the way home on the wrong side of the road. At one point I remember seeing a car in the distance heading towards me and I thought to myself “What is that fool doing?” A quick swerve to the right and I avoided a 100kph+
    head on crash.

Hadn’t been drinking, wasn’t asleep at the wheel, I had other things on my mind but that’s hardly an excuse. I just made a potentially fatal mistake.

Now whenever I get into a car on the continent or in the States I repeat my new mantra: Drive on the right, drive on the right.

taxi25
    Free Member

On my honeymoon I was riding a motorcycle with Mrs Taxi as pillion on route 101 just North of San Francisco. Seeing a Cafe on the left hand side of the road I pulled over for a break. Riding up to the entrance we saw the closed sign and without stopping I pulled back onto the road…. On to the wrong side, it was a rural road with nothing to jog my mind to get me over to the right. Within seconds a car appeared and we had a collision, fortunately the driver actually managed to stop and I nearly did, so nobody got hurt. But I still think about it 26yrs later and what might have happened.
    I have no idea what happened in Spain nor does anyone on here, but we all make mistakes. Not saying you shouldn’t be accountable for them, but we all make them. Healing vibes to all the Giant boys and no doubt if culpable the driver will be punished, but don’t forget we’re all human and all fallible 🙁

Eddiethegent

Looks like taxi25 and I got away with our errors but this driver in Spain didn’t.

I hate to say it but it might just be a case of the Giant team being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I’ll welcome driverless cars to eliminate this weak link.

cchris2lou

Took my test in France in 1994 , and then moved to the Uk in 1996 .
    so I have driven a lot more in the Uk than France but I still get confused , not often but I do .
    When I have a doubt where I should be driving I need to think of my house in france and which way the cars go .

xyeti
    Free Member

I once had about 8 riders attached to the front of a Land Rover, In Rural Yorkshire………

I’d pulled over to let another vehicle past and before i could pull out of the pasiing place a group of riders appeared around the bend taking up the width of the single carriageway road. The leader saw me and shouted and then with precision i watched this group of around 30 riders approach, As they did each rider took his hand off the right hand bar stuck his arm back flicked it in and shouted “IN”

I watched as this was passed back two thirds of the way where the weak link was looking left and talking….
    He rode straight into the front of me, then several other riders rode into him, into me and into other riders, The riders at the back had no idea and suddenly came to a very abrupt stop.

I was stationary throughout, something which the group were thankfull for, the vehicle i stopped to let past had given them a hard time. I’m not saying who was at Fault in Spain but Hopefully there’s some footage captured?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Giant Alpecin taken out by car’ is closed to new replies.