Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • getting wood…
  • 5lab

so, I live in the south east, and I don’t have a woods that I can pillage from nearby. As a result, I’m thinking of buying some logs for my open fireplace for the winter (I installed it last year so the chimney etc are all good).

Now, lots of folk on ebay seem to sell ‘seasoned logs’ etc. Is there anything I should look out for? Particular kind of tree? How long its been seasoned for?

also, what does 250kg of logs look like? i’ve got an old coal hole I can keep them in but don’t want to get too many by mistake 🙂

Thanks!

Edit : think I should add. the house has full central heating and is plenty warm enough, the fire is just for extra cosyness, and is probably only lit for 3-4 hours 1 or 2 evenings a week

geoffj
    5lab

thanks. seems that moisture content is key. I’ll have an ask

dave_aber
    Free Member

what does 250kg of logs look like

Wooden

john_drummer
    Free Member

a copse

mefty
    Free Member

If you have an open fire place rather than a burner, hard wood is commonly advised because some softwoods spit – not a problem in a burner.

69er
    Free Member

I’ve just bought about 5 tons, which looks like quite a lot. It’s supposed to be 2 chords, a chord being 4′ x 4′ x 8′.

Sorry, don’t do new fangled measurements….

And wot mefty said, apparently logburners were designed to burn soft wood, but you may have fireworks in an open fire.

As for storage, I kept the rounds on a pallets pre-woodstore. Poly sheet will stop them getting soaked.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘getting wood…’ is closed to new replies.