Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Getting DVDs onto ipad
  • bryan-g-

How do I get DVDs onto my ipad. I have tried handbrake but it wont do it. I tried to put DVD43 on as someone told me thats what I need to do but it says its not compatable with 64 bit.

RealMan
    Free Member

Can’t you just use itunes..?

wrecker
    Free Member

Jailbreak that MF

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Pc or mac? If using mac I suggest this http://www.macxdvd.com/dvd-ripper-mac-free/ will rip the encryption and convert to iPad format. Easy to use and free!

bryan-g-

Its a PC

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Sorry cant help! I just googled what I was looking for and found the above. You designate a folder for the video to get saved into then drag and drop it onto iTunes then sync the iPad.

clubber
    Free Member

handbrake worked fine for me…

GrahamS

You don’t need to do anything special.
    Just rip the DVD (or download a torrent) using whatever software you normally use.

AcePlayer app on iPhone/iPad will then let you stream or copy the wmv/avi/XVid/whatever from your media server, or you can copy it to AcePlayer in iTunes, or you can manage AcePlayer files through your PC’s browser.

(several other apps do the same – AcePlayer is just the one I am familiar with)

Cougar

I have tried handbrake but it wont do it.

Could you be any less specific?

Handbrake should work. You need to specify the… I forget the term, is it ‘preset’? for the iDevices first though. I have a vague recollection that it also needs VLC installed to deal with copy protection, but I might have made that up. Try it. Failing that, try telling us in what way it doesn’t work.

bruk

Guessing that handbrake doesnt rip coded discs? Keep meaning to find a program to do that to load Shaun the Sheep on for the sprog.

Any good suggestions.

ps sorry for hijack

Cougar

As per four minutes ago,

Try installing VLC and then try Handbrake again. Let me know how you get on, I’m curious myself now.

batfink
    Free Member

Handbrake on a mac needs VLC to handle the decryption (ripping) – the PC version doesn’t decrypt at all, so you need a separate ripping program.

Once it’s ripped, just run it on the iPad default setting in Handbrake. This will encode it to an ipad/tunes compatible file type (m4v) and shrink the file from the 8GB DVD rip to about a gig, whilst giving you picture quality optimised for the iPad.

The benefit of running a separate ripping program, is that you can rip a few DVDs, then queue them up to encode in Handbrake overning (takes a while, depending on the goodness of your ‘puter)

bruk

Tried handbrake on its own, has ripped the DVD but quality is v poor and blocky so will try something else another night.

Thanks

z1ppy

You do know there are different video setting to choose from?
    The standard pre sets are listed on the right hand side or manual change them in the bottom section.

Can’t say I’ve ever had any issue with Handbrake, other than the time it take to rip files (no patiences on my behalf).
    Everything convert lovely for my i’vebeenhad

xiphon
    Free Member

Own the DVD? Torrent the movie. Somebody else has done the ripping/encoding for you! Nowt wrong with that!

GrahamS

Own the DVD? Torrent the movie. Somebody else has done the ripping/encoding for you! Nowt wrong with that!

Except that by torrenting you are also seeding the movie back to others on the torrent, so you are still breaching copyright.

geoffj

Mac + Handbrake + iPad works well for me.
    *is confused

geoffj

Except that by torrenting you are also seeding the movie back to others on the torrent, so you are still breaching copyright.

Not if you turn upload off in your torrent software.

tyler84
    Free Member

handbrake is very feature rich and has loads of settings to play around with or mess up totally which could be why it isnt working…i find the default ones for appletv work best for the ipad conversions to mp4…rip the dvd’s to your pc in vob format using dvd shrink or similar and then convert the files using handbrake…i outsourced mine to digiraw.com as im a lazy *&*& or so the wife says anyway lol!!

Rickos
    Free Member

OK, been reading this with interest. I’ve done the handbrake thing and now the video sits on my hard drive. How do I get it to iTunes? Do I just drag and drop it into the Films bit or what?

Sorry for n00b question…

EDIT – do you think tyler works for that website? Ha! Glad he dragged this one up from 3 months ago though…

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Yep just open iTunes as well as windows explorer then drag the file from explorer to iTunes . Once it shows in ‘movies then you can sync it.

On another note does anyone know of a suitabe free programme that does Disney / Pixar films? Want to put some on the iPad but mac ripper doesn’t work . I’m on a mac.

tyler84
    Free Member

ha ha 🙂 nah i dont work for them but they are a company in the local area…couple of nice chaps and the service they did on my collection was spot on so said i would spread the word for them where ever i can….support your local community and all that.

Yeah once your film has finished just drag it into itunes and away you go…if you rename or move the original file it will stay in itunes but you wont be able to play it and will get that annoying little sysmbol next to it…so make sure its in its final resting place so to speak before you drag to itunes

tyler84
    Free Member

in terms of the mac software for disney films…try DVDfab hd decryptor or something like that…its there free software…download it and it will come with loads of trials for there other software…use it for 30 days and then just continue to use the free part after the trials end thats what i use to do

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had to work a bit to find a free conversion software and even then it was a bit of a PITA (to my ipod touch) but it worked after taking ages.

smithshane
    Free Member

please note that handbrake cant rip commercial dvd with copy protection.
    IPad officially support mp4 and m4v file, so make sure your ripping is to these two format.
    http://www.ilikemall.com/convert/rip-dvd-to-mp4-mac.html

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Getting DVDs onto ipad’ is closed to new replies.