Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • getting an internal hard drive installed on a macbook pro
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

called a couple of resellers locally (derby and nottingham) and there was a big price difference one place wanted £170 for a 320gb and the other £105 for a 500gb. However neither could do it instore the 1st place reckoned a few days to do it and the second one said a week or 2. So does anyone know somewhere I can send it to get installed? thought if i cut out the middle man might save me some time

aP
    Free Member

If you look an line its relatively easy to change the hard drive. Took me about 45 minutes being super careful etc etc.

cranberry
    Free Member

A new 500Gb drive will cost you £50 ish. Do the job yourself, it is remarkably easy.

1. Buy new 500 Gb disk and a 2.5″ caddy, fit one into the other.

2. Boot up machine with hard drive cloning software, clone current drive to new drive.

3. Swap the drives over ( generally requires undoing one, perhaps 2 screws ).

4. Save money, feel clever.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i think the unibody version is meant to be easy but ive got the model previous to that, is that as easy?

geoffj

Do it yourself, use time machine to make sure you have a backup and then your install disks to boot up and install the OS.

Look on youtube for vids of how to do it.

mrmo
    Free Member

look on line and find a guide it isn’t hard, just be methodical and note where each screw goes. I found a guide and taped each screw to the relevant photo, Any Pro mac isn’t too hard certainly nothing like changing the hard-drive in a Clamshell iBook. and even that wasn’t too bad.

Jamie
    Free Member
    brassneck

I’ve done mine (Core2).

It’s not hard, just put soft towel down, tape/magnet for the screws (around 20 odd on the Pro , it’s only 2 on the normal) and follow Jamie’s link. Make sure you have the correct Torx driver BEFORE you begin 🙂

Time Machine backup/restore to a clean install is another option – I had some hassle with cloners but got it to work eventually

fontmoss
    Free Member

ok got the bits, wish me luck…

cranberry
    Free Member

be lucky.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

you’ll be fine! did the ram on my unibody. A bit twitchy but fine!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘getting an internal hard drive installed on a macbook pro’ is closed to new replies.