Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Get me warmer
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Current cold protection is a thin poly t base/wicker with a Ground Effect winter jacket.

To go warmer do I need to increase the ‘base’ layer. I was thinking of going to something like a Baa Baa Merino long sleeve.

Would this up the warmth factor?

Cheers

BMC09
    Free Member

BaaBaa’s are great, super warm, wear mine with a thin jersey & jacket and plenty warm enough for the chills at the moment.

Northwind

Definately should help. I’m using cheap thermals, a trespass one and the other is some no-name from TK Maxx, both make a big difference. TBH I don’t have to worry much about cold, it’s heat that gets me but a good base is the place to start. A microfleece might help as a mid layer.

iainc

is your Ground effect windproof ?

I like a couple of layers and a windproof shell when temp close to or below zero. Really cold night rides – Icebreaker thick merino base, Endura 260 top, Altura attack shell

bonesetter
    Free Member

I really rate the GF jacket I’m using. It is windprrof certainly.

I think I’ll go Baa Baa, the T I have sems prety good, if a little ill fitting perhaps. Icebrakers are overpriced aren’t they?

singlespeedstu

Try eating a bit more and putting a little bit of weight on you skinny freak.

gcaster
    Free Member

Canterbury Cold for me.

iainc

Icebreaker is expensive at RRP. There is a guy on here who sells last yrs stuff off new and cheap every so often – I think i have bought 3 from him.

I rate Ground Effect too – have a Baked Alaska and it’s my fave autumn/spring top – it’s orange too and matches my Orange 😛

neninja
    Free Member

Today and yesterday was toasty wearing the following –
    Altura Ergofit Windproof bib longs
    Baggy shorts
    Sealskinz socks
    Under Armour thermal base layer
    Icebreaker 200 long sleeve zip
    Montane Featherlite Smock
    Altura winter gloves

It was cold enough today to totally freeze my right shifter when some water got in there – only got it working if I stopped and warmed the shifter up with my hand but it stopped working the minute I got going again so gave up and single speeded in the end.

ahwiles
    Free Member

me:

merino thermal jersey + windproof coat/jacket

thermal tights + endura singletrack troosers.

big fluffy socks + those stormtrooper shimano shoes (AM40 ?)

windproof gloves (fingers did get a bit nippy)

buff underneath helmet.

i was over-dressed. steaming like a dung-heap at the top of each climb.

iainc

one thing to remember with merino is the weight – I have Icebreaker 180 and 260 and there is a huge difference in warmth when worn as the bottom of 3 layers.

Also have an old Howies that I got in a sale about 3 yrs ago which gets worn more and probs around 200

bonesetter
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

Try eating a bit more and putting a little bit of weight on you skinny freak.

Care to give me one of your ‘tyres’ 😉

bonesetter
    Free Member

neninja – Member

Baggy shorts
    Sealskinz socks
    Altura winter gloves

It was cold enough today to totally freeze my right shifter when some water got in there – only got it working if I stopped and warmed the shifter up with my hand but it stopped working the minute I got going again so gave up and single speeded in the end.

That’s just OTT 🙂

singlespeedstu

I do have a few spares. I’ll sort one out for you.
    Though if you want realy warm you might want to borrow one of Tollahs.

bonesetter
    Free Member

iainc – Member

one thing to remember with merino is the weight – I have Icebreaker 180 and 260 and there is a huge difference in warmth when worn as the bottom of 3 layers.

Also have an old Howies that I got in a sale about 3 yrs ago which gets worn more and probs around 200

Good point – I suppose it’s best to go OTT a bit as you don’t mind the dung heap steam, but do the freezing nackers 😡

bonesetter
    Free Member

Poor Tollah…. Must get some dietry advise off him

montylikesbeer
    neninja
    Free Member

neninja – Member

Baggy shorts
    Sealskinz socks
    Altura winter gloves

That’s just OTT

Only a couple of base layers, a thin pertex windproof and some thermal tights. It was sub-zero almost all day here in Co Durham riding in pretty deep snow for much of the ride.

bonesetter
    Free Member

neninja – like me, I think you need th MTFU. I never wear tights – they’re for Shakespearian actors.

3/4 all year ’round 8)

neninja
    Free Member

The tights cover the tops of my sealskinz and stop the snow going down them.

I’ll not ride without either my lovely Altura bib longs (with soft and toastie fleece lining) or a pair of merino longs (under baggies) when there’s snow on the ground or sub zero temps.

I’d rather be warm than MTFU.

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio

bonesetter
    Free Member

😆 😆 nice one. Still doesn’t get past tights being just a step too far though

Lifer
    Free Member

Merino base/trespass mid with collar and peter storm fleece pullover when it’s really cold. The biggest difference I found was using a p1ss pot helmet in winter, less vents. I don’t get on with wearing stuff under my ‘normal’ helmet and used to get horribly cold.

Lusso Max Repel Bib tights for when it gets proper cold.

tollah
    Free Member

Dietary advice Bonesetter well first up you need a bowel disease like me then you’ll have a proper excuse for being wok’d up. ;-0 then it’s easy just take the medication I’m on then within a few weeks you’ll be bigger than Stu.

Failing that baabaa, base layer would be a good start then try pedaling harder to get warmer!

depth-junkie
    Free Member

for base layers i use this:-
    http://www.fourthelement.com/dry_xerotherm.php
    http://www.fourthelement.com/dry_xerotherm_plus.php i have this 4 peice set.

I bought these for going under my drysuit undersuit during long 3hr deco dives in the uk. They realy are great, i also use them for skiing and also on the bike in winter.

up top:- 4th element sleevless top and a soft shell windproof jacket and trail shorts for temps in the 10c to 6c.

6c to 3c ish i use the same as above but with the long sleeve top instead of the sleevless, and leggings under the shorts.

Below that i use the long sleeve 4th element top along with the sleevless 4th element top plus the soft shell windproof. Was good today at -7c up Llandegla 1st thing this morning

down below:- endura water proof shorts or trousers with leggings underneath. 4th element socks with Shimano mw80’s .

The forth element stuff is expensive, but it really is good stuff. Wicks the sweat away like nothing else ive owned. After a hard ride the outside of the tops feel wet, but the inside is bone dry and it makes you realise even in cold weather you still sweat alot. but also how good this stuff is at wicking away sweat. Best of all it aint bulky.

I have had these for years and they are still going strong and have been used for diving, skiing.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Get me warmer’ is closed to new replies.