Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Germans Short-Haired Pointers as Riding Partner?
  • heihei

Finally moving to a house with a proper garden so likely to be getting a dog at some stage this summer, and a GSP is currently top of the list. Anyone own one, and if so, what are they like as riding partners? Pics welcome of course!!

robgarrioch

Hope your garden’s a couple of acres… 🙂
    My sister has one, completely ‘kin mental!

He’s around 3 now, & still razzes round everywhere full throttle, jumping anything <5′ high –

I think, given some decent training, he’d be a good trail dog, certainly got the speed + stamina. There was a good article a few moths ago in ST mag, discussing ways and means of training, biased towards riding, such as ‘no reward for jumping up’ to get them out of the habit. He’s a nice dog though, very good with kids. It’s funny watching him belt around the house, then suddenly slow down & just trot around any young-uns.
    A wee video HERE!

Shandy
    Free Member

I am looking at the minute too, the list is GSP (my choice), Weimeraner (wife is in love with them), Springer (grew up around them), Vizsla (heard good reports). We’re only considering these breeds now as we’re going to have 10 acres of fields beside the new house. At the minute we have a Cocker who is in decent nick, she can keep up alright off-road but a long stretch of towpath really starts to drag the legs out of her.

The-Beard

We’ve had GSP’s my whole life. If you have the time to (properly) train them I’m sure they’d make an excellent trail partner, but, and it’s a fairly big but… they’re completely hyperactive/mental animals. They’ll run themselves into the ground (I’ve had to carry one off the hill on several occasions) they love chasing things (like bikes…) and hunting is what they do. Out on the hill the slightest hint of game and they’ll be off. And I mean off. The red mist descends and BANG, gone.

They need a lot of exercise as they have a lot of energy to burn. I think they make really brilliant family pets, very loyal and they love attention. Real characters. I’d not have any other dog!

freeridenick
    Free Member

My parents have 2,
    the bitch is mad as a hatter! Would run all day, but follows nose more than anything so would make a difficult trail dog i suspect.

heihei

Hope your garden’s a couple of acres…

Tick! 😀
    Although I can’t match Shandy’s 10 acres!

GSP appeals as not too big (have 4 & 6yr old kids), but we do a lot of biking and walking. I once came across a GSP & owner in Aviemore who had just done a big day out in the Cairngorms which involved a 30-40km ride and 10km walk and the dog lapped it up.
    Rode a couple of times with a neighbour’s vizla and it was a great trail dog, but both weimaraners and vizlas can grow a fair bit bigger than a GSP.

heihei

Nick – aren’t you Surrey based? If so, any idea where your parents got them from?

swavis

Great companions on the trail, as mentioned above they do need a firm hand though otherwise they’ll be off. I tend to ease up a little when I take them out otherwise they’d run themselves into to ground 🙂

The one on the right is a GSP/GWP cross, he’s proper daft but a great big softie.

Leo and Bruar by GavinBelton, on Flickr

5thElefant
    Free Member

I am looking at the minute too, the list is GSP (my choice), Weimeraner (wife is in love with them), Springer (grew up around them), Vizsla (heard good reports).

We’ve got a Vizsla. The breeders explicitly advise against cycling with vizslas. They’re not bred for sustained running. They’ll do it but they’ll be crippled years before their due date.

But… there’s riding with a dog and walking the dog on a mountainbike. I do the latter. Potter along the flats and descents and take in lots of nasty climbs. He really enjoys it. Very easy dog to train. Don’t need much exercise, but are very bright, which means you need to keep their mind active or they find their own entertainment.

Not usually good with children (or at least often bad with children). They’re very protective and typically bond with close family only.

swavis

Oh they don’t mind winter sports either 😉

IMG_0059 by GavinBelton, on Flickr

robgarrioch

Your GWP-cross looks familiar Swavis, uhhh…. oh yes

🙂

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Having had my 20 minute walk extended to an hour this morning by my gsp I can vouch for the effect a few birds have on their very small brains- basically all training out the window as he runs around like a loon !

freeridenick
    Free Member

Hei hei, yes – although they live in Hampshire

I seem to remember they were from Lincolnshire though. A well know breeder up there.

They even have german names Strudel and Mitzi!!

pastcaring
    Free Member

don’t get one of these, (boerboel) what ever you do!!!

he’s got a little bigger since you last saw him.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Germans Short-Haired Pointers as Riding Partner?’ is closed to new replies.