Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Geocaching, do you?
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

My son and me have been caching for years and now we do loads by bike to combine a nice ride and some fun treasure hunting.

Whats the best one you have done?

13thfloormonk

Didn’t even know what it was until I stumbled across a cache in a fairly remote little bothy on Rannoch Moor. Took a mint but didn’t have anything more exciting to leave behind than a pack of tissues.

sc-xc

Only did it for the first time last month, but have done 32 since with my son and his mates. Great incentive to get them out walking/cycling…

Most interesting I found was a nano/bullet in Ambleside town centre.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I’ve done a few now with the kids – best ones have been a couple of ammo tins in Derbyshire – now trying to work out how to download locations from geocaching.com to the Satmap I’ve just bought

JonW
    Free Member

Lasr weekend: Fear Factor 5 – 25ft climb up a tree!

binners

Tried it for the first time last Saturday on Cartmel Fell. Great fun. I’ll definitely be doing more of that

flatfish
    Free Member

Me, Started about 6 1/2 years ago.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Tried it for the first time recently. After failing to find the first three or four caches I’ve given up! Bit like train spotting anyway.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Been doing it a few years now and it’s taken me to some great locations

One of my favourites was

GCPNZJRum & Egg

just off Bens Beach from the film Local Hero,

I did that after a week working on one of the Fort Bill worlds rounds … total contrast and both brilliant

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Shhhssss, don’t tell the muggles!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I do this when I’m at my dad’s as he loves it. Good fun where he is in France. Not so fun when he comes here to London though, he rummages all over the place.

Yet to do geocaching on a bike but I think if I do I shall coin the phrase velocaching

druidh
    Free Member

If the cache setters have been doing their job, finding one can often lead you to lovely out-of-the-way spots you’d not otherwise find.

Haze

Only did it for the first time last month, but have done 32 since

And you call me a geek…

mrspjm1974
    Free Member

We took it up recently. I started using my iphone but it gives us an excuse to really get to grips with using our Garmin….
    The kids love it – they both started out saying that it was for geeks and then after finding one in a park in central London (just down from St Pancras station) they were hooked.
    We did some great ones up in Scotland last week too. Definitely good for finding out of the way places.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought about it.. then I thought.. meh…

How about publishing locations of sweet bits of trail or obstacles or something?

Cougar

Funnily enough I’ve been meaning to do it for years, and finally found my first cache last month.

Most interesting I found was a nano/bullet in Ambleside town centre.

Assuming it’s the same one, I spent about an hour looking for that sod without success. Where is it?

Ambrose

Best one I’ve ever done was up close and personal to a mahoosive glacier in Iceland.

Locally though it’s my one, slap bang in the centre of Wales.

trout
    Free Member

I did in a few years ago when I got a garmin then at easter I went and hid some easter treats on the moors and gave the kids the gps and they had a great day finding them .

sc-xc

Cougar…

*looks around*

in the middle parking bay outside the tourist information place. In the sign that says’taxi’

*got away with it, move on. Shuffles away furtively*

wallop

What is it, in a nutshell? Is it the modern version of letterboxing (not that I know what that is either)?

Ambrose

Pretty much so, yup.

Cougar

*looks around*

I’m not wholly convinced that the same one. I ended up (and I apologise cos my memory is hazy) under a monument / signpost or something, convinced that was it, with some sort of reference to lettering.

Having subsequently actually found a nano, I’m happy to believe that I was looking right at it and didn’t see it, mind.

What is it, in a nutshell? Is it the modern version of letterboxing

That’s actually a nie way of looking at it. It’s like the old “dead letterbox” idea, but GPS coordinates are published. So you peg it into your GPS along with maybe a cryptic clue, and go hunting.

It’s custom to take something and add something (took toy car, added Gnasher badge) and some people have trackable “travel bugs” that get moved from cache to cache. But that’s not mandatory, signing the log is sufficient.

sc-xc

Sounds like the same one cougar – there’s a war memorial there, and the hint says something about letters and words that are the same in several languages.

I did all the Ambleside ones a few weeks ago – this is the only one actually in the town. The rest are around the outskirts.

Cougar

Sounds like the same one cougar – there’s a war memorial there, and the hint says something about letters and words that are the same in several languages.

Yes! Yes, that’s it exactly. Damn it. I was looking at hotel signs and suchlike. I’ll have another look next time I’m over that way. Ta.

RustySpanner

Only a couple of local ones (a couple we know are quite fanatical about it, hello Pete & Claire!) a few in Snowdonia – there’s one on Elidir Fawr, which we saw a family group searching for last week.

Wish it had been around when I was a kid, I think it’s a brilliant idea

brassneck

recommend us an iphone app then, going to have a look round locally

chomp
    Free Member

brassneck – Member
    recommend us an iphone app then, going to have a look round locally

takes a lot of the fun out of it, although if you’ve not had the ‘fun’ of using paper maps etc it might be a good introduction

RustySpanner

Geocaching.com is the ‘official’ (biggest anyway) site. Downloadable apps available there.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

If you have youngish kids they will love it. Mine are 8 and 6 and have loved geocaching on foot and bike for the last three years.

Kind of pointless as an adult unless you need motivation to go out and visit different locations. Which I would have thought is not an issue to MTB riders.
    Still if you have kids, pop the co-ords into the GPS, hand it to the offspring and let them choose the route. Be it right or wrong as long as you have a fair idea where you need to be they will enjoy it.

One thing to note if they are Little’uns try to pick ones that are not “micro” and have a few bits of tat in that they can swap.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Used to do it regularly but especially round our way there are too many poor quality caches in totally insignificant locations with bugger all in them to make it interesting or fun any more.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Geocaching, do you?’ is closed to new replies.