Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Genesis Longitude 2017 tyre size
  • beamishblue

Does anyone know what the max tyre size is for a 2017 Longitude in both 27.5+ and 29?

thenorthwind

I’m about to find out. Got both a 3″ and 3.25″ sat waiting to be tried out for size. Will try and remember to come back and update you when I’ve had a go, but it might not be for a few days.

beamishblue

Brilliant. Which tyres and rims will you be using?

burko73

watching with interest….

letmetalktomark

My 2016, so the 29 plus version, happily runs a 3″ tyre on a Hugo rim with ample clearance at the stays. A 3.25″ would fit.

I know there is a difference between the models (2016 & 2017) but that’s just the length of the stays rather than the **cough** girth.

steezysix
    Free Member

On my 2017 there’s loads of space front and back with the stock 2.8″ tyres. 2.3″ 29er wheel/tyre fits fine too. I emailed Genesis about max size and the response was that it might be necessary to switch to a 1X setup to prevent chain rub with a bigger tyre.

Will also be very interested to see what the 3.0 and 3.25 look like when you have them on!

thenorthwind

Which tyres and rims will you be using?

Rims are the stock WTB Scrapers (35mm I think). Tyres are a Vee Trax Fatty 3.25″ and a WTB Trail Boss 3″.

Some wider rims would be nice but one thing at a time.

Better get on with it! I’ll try and do it tomorrow.

thenorthwind

I emailed Genesis about max size and the response was that it might be necessary to switch to a 1X setup to prevent chain rub with a bigger tyre.

Yes, I think chain rub might be a problem , but I really don’t want to lose the 2x, it just suits this sort of bike IME. I’ll be happy if I can get the 3″ in the back and the 3.25″ in the front.

steezysix
    Free Member

I think the double gives a great range. Comparing gear inches online, changing from the stock 36/26×11-36 to a 30×11-42 (sunrace or similar) the low end is the same, but I’d lose a couple of the highest gears (not the end of the world). Think I’m going to run it as stock until parts start to wear, then switch.

thenorthwind

This proved more difficult than I thought, but I persevered and learnt how to seat really tight tyres, which will no doubt come in handy.

It’s difficult to photograph a gap, but here we are. All the photos of the rear are with the chain on the inside chainring and smallest sprocket.

First up, the 3.25″ Vee Trax Fatty on the back. I’m not intending to run this, so I tried it first. In fact I wasn’t even expecting it to fit.

It’s pretty tight but it doesn’t rub. Not much space for mud. It’d probably be fine unless you were going to be using the lowest sprockets with the inside ring regularly. Bear in mind that these are with 35mm rims – with a 45mm rim I doubt it would fit.

Next up, the 3″ WTB Trail Boss on the back:

More room. Obviously.

Then the 3.25 on the front:

Absolutely bags of room.

Going to try this out for a while before I try the tubeless thing.

steezysix
    Free Member

Thanks for the research! Nice to know a 3.25″ will fit both ends, will definitely fit a single chainring for better clearance though.

beamishblue

That’s brilliant mate – thanks! Very keen to hear how the tyre combo works out for you!

cocodemer
    Free Member

Hey dude, sorry to bring up this old thread, but did you ever go tubeless with those stock rims?

Have a set here which don’t like the tubeless set up – dont think they are TL compatible, but was just wondering if you had managed to make them seal?

thenorthwind

Yup. First time I’d ever done tubeless. The tyres were a bitch to get off and even harder to get on, but managed it with advice from here. I used Gorilla tape, some cheapish valves and Stan’s. Been up a couple of months and stayed up.

shuhockey
    Free Member

If you want to make your bike “sweet”, I’ve managed to easily (As easy as sks are to fit) fit SKS 65mm bluemels over the stock 2.8″ tyres. Almost covers the entire tyre width, so 90% splash covered. I use mine for commuting mostly, so really needed.

steezysix
    Free Member

How did you fix your rear fender at the top of the seatstays? There’s no bridge there but the bike has everything else needed to mount guards, so have been thinking of putting some on for winter commuting.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Chopped an old mudguard stay to the right size, so that it goes between the two mounts. I then used a couple of zip ties to hold it on the metal rod. Can do you a picture if that doesnt make sense.

steezysix
    Free Member

Cheers, that makes sense. Will give it a go!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Longitude 2017 tyre size’ is closed to new replies.