Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help getting plus tyres on rims
  • thenorthwind

Having spent way too long getting a tyre off a rim this morning, I’m now struggling to get a tyre back on it 😳

Rim is a 35mm WTB Scraper
    I took a WTB Trailblazer 2.8 off to try a Vee Trax Fatty 3.25 and a WTB Trail Boss 3 for size. I can’t for the life of me get any of them on.

The beads on all of them are just too small. They don’t stretch and I’ve got a good 8-10″ of bead to seat. I’ve got the rim supported on blocks of wood and I’ve tried standing on the tyre to seat it, but something’s definitely going to break before it goes over the rim.

What’s the trick?

Jossie

Can’t really help but I have had the same problem with the Vee tyre, it doesn’t seem to be a big enough to fit?

singlespeedstu

Just make sure the tyre is down in the well of the rim.
    I know the well isn’t massive on Scraper rims but it is enough to get any tyre on without tyre levers.

thenorthwind

Nope, indeed. Did you get yours on in the end or did you just give up?

Mind you, I can’t get the stock tyre back on, and they can’t have fitted a tyre that’s impossible to replace so there must be a way.

thenorthwind

Yeah, I realise the shallow well is the problem. I’ve tried getting the bead in the middle of it, but, well, I’ll just have to try again…

Garry_Lager

You have to get the bead of the mounted side right in the middle of the rim, all the way round. This will give you the slack you need to get the other side on.

First time I did it with a plus tyre it was a definite wrestling match. You soon get the hang of it though.

kevj
    Free Member

Put the tyre in the oven for ten minutes to warm it up so it’s nice and supple.

Jossie

It now resides at the bottom of tyre mountain, once in a while I try again but always get the same result.

thenorthwind

You have to get the bead of the mounted side right in the middle of the rim, all the way round

I’d tried to do this, but obviously hadn’t paid enough attention, because doing it again just now and making absolutely sure it’s in the middle, it just pops on with barely any effort leaving me equal parts amazed an embarrassed 😀

Cheers you lot.

thenorthwind

It now resides at the bottom of tyre mountain, once in a while I try again but always get the same result.

Dig it out, and try the above. It’s the tightest of the 3 I’ve got and it popped on no bother.

steezysix
    Free Member

Cool, let’s see some pictures! Need to decide if my Longitude is getting some fat(ter) rubber! 😀

flaps
    Free Member

My 27.5 Stereo’s got tight tyres, Schwalbe Hans Dampf up front, Rock Razor on the rear. I struggle with these too and have been through a fair few tyre levers when changing the tubes!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help getting plus tyres on rims’ is closed to new replies.