Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Genesis IO 2010 singlespeed……………any good?
  • paulos
    Free Member

Hey all.

Looking at buying one of these bad boys for the winter, anyone own one? reviews?

Mounty_73

I am looking at getting one of these too.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

great bikes. not as good as the ioid (alfine). I’m selling one btw 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Yes. I have one of the first bikes they made and it’s my winter steed of choice (probably the bike I ride the most, realistically).

For round my way (Chilterns) it’s a fantastic singletrack steed. Totally recommended.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

YES! Best off the peg bike I have ever had! I think they should be compulsory bikes for folk when they start mountain biking!
    I bought one to run through the winter last year to give my “good bike” a slightly easier life and I was blown away with how much fun the io was… I fitted a bigger conti front tyre and put on SLX brakes and a pair of crudcatchers. It was immense fun, and even descended like a demon! I deeply regret selling it, but i needed the spenders 🙁

paulos
    Free Member

thanks for the replys,has anyone experienced any problems with alignment bolts? how heavy is it?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I have a ’10 one, bloody brilliant I’ve been riding it non stop since May when I got it.

Only thing I’ve done is change the tyres for mud-x’s and fitted a pair of boingy 100mm forks.

I’m pretty sure mine is around the 27lb mark, climbs really well, awesome single track machine.

No problems with anything for me, just grease the rear axle tension grub screws on the drop outs and that about sums it up to be honest, I will admit to having even cleaned it last weekend!!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The alignment bolts can bend (after a few years of use). A chain tensioner is a good idea. No idea on the weight – mine’s normally covered in a layer of sh!te, so changes regularly. 🙂

I’d agree with SAFK above as well – whack on some different tyres. I was running a bigger Conti Vert on the front and an Edge on the back, but have recently got some Trailrakers.

Edit: got a boingy 100mm coil fork and wider bars on it too.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

I’ve just bought an io-id on sale a week ago. Absolutely love it, perfect winter bike. Frame feels absolutely great too, believe the hype. Not sure how I’d cope with fully rigid in the long wrong. Or single speed. I suppose that’s why I went for the io-id 🙂

emmag
    Free Member

We’ve got ex-hire io id’s at the hub-from £499 for the 09 and a wee bit more for the ’10-ridden only 30times. They have been brilliant on hire-no problems at all and the Reynolds frame is cracking to ride.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not bad. Nice bike but a bit too heavy and sluggish out the box. Get rid of the awful, heavy, draggy Conti tyres ASAP and get a better (£30-£40) micro adjustable seatpost on it too. I lopped nearly 1lb off doing that.

I’m also going to do some swapping/rebuilding of the wheels. They’re OK, but every component (Hub, spokes, rim, tyres) is just a bit heavy, making the wheel package heavy and slowing the bike I reckon there’s another 1/2 – 3/4lb to come off the wheels…..

The rest of it is fine. Nice bike. 🙂

(Oh I keep catching my ankle bone on the sharp edge in the middle of the cranks too…)

sssimon
    Free Member

if anyone is after a 19inch frame or bikewe have a few about to go in the sale

simon@bikedock.com

paulos
    Free Member

how much simon?

HTTP404
    Free Member

They beefed up the tensioning screws as a few were getting bent. The frames went from reynolds 725 to 520 as well.
    Nice nonsense singlespeed frames. Only sold mine to go with a sanderson breath but not a great improvement tbh.

james-o
    Free Member

btw we have proper allen head bolts on stock as spares if required, available via dealers. originals were a bit skinny but the new ones are better. future Genesis bikes with same DO use an M5 bolt, as a rolling change.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Peter, I’ve noticed the exact same thing with the cranks.

New wheels would be nice but until I break the ones it came with they’re staying put, probably 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh. Glad it’s not just me Steve!

monkeychild
    Free Member

I loves my 2008 io. Its a great bike. I bought mine for £299 and its the best cash i have ever spent.

sssimon
    Free Member

one 19 inch frame left at £172.49 give me a call if you fancy it

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I have an early 725 io. it is my most riddenest bike. It is ace.

Lives with a permanent covering of muck. and just works. and through the singletrack on my commute is great fun.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Paulos – I have my 19″ 2010 IOID bike for sale. email me if interested. 🙂

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Fantastic bikes but I had to get rid of my 09 version as it was nigh on impossible to prevent the rear axle slipping forward under (admittedly loads of) tension. The OE guide bolts were made of cheese and even Surly Tugnuts never quite worked – even when I went to having them on both sides. Tried allsorts to get it fixed as I really wanted to keep it.

If it wasn’t for this I’d never have sold it as it was an awesome ride. As a comparison I bought a Love/Hate which although very nice wasn’t really as good but the EBB was much more reliable.

Nutshell – if you’re big and numb and force your way up steep hills by bouncing off the pedals at the point of stalling then I’d give it a miss. If you’re not then it’ll be the best £600 you’ll spend on biking kit.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nutshell – if you’re big and numb and force your way up steep hills by bouncing off the pedals at the point of stalling then I’d give it a miss. If you’re not then it’ll be the best £600 you’ll spend on biking kit.

That’s me that is! 🙂

The new ones are fine, I believe they changed them. No slippage at all.

daveb
    Free Member

I was going to buy one of these, put it off and missed out on a new one for £400 – sold out 🙁

They are meant to be very good and the frames are excellent

paulos
    Free Member

Just ordered mine :mrgreen:

daveb
    Free Member

paulos, where from, what sort of price?

paulos
    Free Member

Dave B i bought mine from my LBS in cleethorpes “VeloSport” for £640. i think thats the going rate after looking round. its the 2011 jobber although looking at it compared to 2010 its pretty much the same.

DT78
    Free Member

Great bike, I got mine second hand off here from a chap who lives near port talbot, took it to afan for my first ride, absolute storming ride forgot that I was riding a hardtail to be honest till I got a rear snakebit and then realised I didn’t have 2 large allen keys to undo the rear funbolts….damn…cue some trail begging 🙂

For you new owners you might be interested in a little mod to the tension bolts to make them actually usable…thread I started last year on it. When they seize they are a pita to get out

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/gensis-io-owner-questions-help-pls

epicyclo

They are great bikes. 2 in our family.

sheepshifter
    Free Member

Honestly dont worry about tension bolts wip em straight out and buy allen m5 bolts online of any bolt , fastner supplier etc for a couple of pound youll get half a dozen.On my local trails this bike is easily capable of keeping up with on all i can throw at it, it did beat me up a bit up front i threw on a set of reba,s.Slightly dissapointed with the finish lots of stone chips down to bear steel,all in all great 2nd bike my first being a pace rc325.5.

geddoyle
    Free Member

I have a brand new 2010 Genesis IO frame for sale. It’s 19″ in bronze.

£170 posted.

Anyone interested?

bruneep

james-o – Member

btw we have proper allen head bolts on stock as spares if required, available via dealers. originals were a bit skinny but the new ones are better. future Genesis bikes with same DO use an M5 bolt, as a rolling change.

I have the older 725 frame that requires replacement bolts. I have emailed Genesis and asked via the Genesis website many times about these bolts and I am still awaiting a reply, does anyone look at emails or the site?

B

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve got a ’10 IOiD. Brilliant! Chain bolts replaced with the newer type. Get tons of riding on that; my full bouncer only comes out if I’m headed on the rough stuff, although I’m keen to get the IO to cwmcarn and Lekkie.

What size for a seatclamp? I tried a 30.8mm but it didn’t work.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Genesis IO 2010 singlespeed……………any good?’ is closed to new replies.