Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Genesis Altitude 20
  • deep_river
    Free Member

Anyone ride one of these, or other altitude models?

What do you reckon,

Would you use one as a xc/marathon race bike, if you could only have one bike?

Ta

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I’ve got the Altitude 10.
    I really like the bike, had it now for about 18 months now, and used it for long epics to trail centre outings.

I will be doing a couple of XC races and enduros on it this year, however it isn’t as light as some Alu bikes.

Just converting mine to a 1×9 setup and going to see how that goes round cannock on Thursday

james-o
    Free Member

The new one’s just in – all gussetless DZB 853 front end and XX44..

as and Enduro racer, maybe, but it’s not the fastest XC race bike. I’ve done Merida 100’s on steel hardtails and enjoyed them but i wasnt seriously competitive about it all.

it’s loads of fun to ride tho )

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    craa22uk

i got a core 10 three models ago – do like it, have upgraded/broke and replaced about 50% of bits on it

i sort of don’t love it though – i kind of wished i’d got a frame i could really be into and wish i had a slacker head angle, but if you’re into xc marathon then it’s a good enough climber and steady decender

idiot! didn’t read the frame name properly :S

IdleJon

A 2 year old Altitude 20 here and I love it.

It is genuinely one of the most rounded bikes I’ve ever owned and suits the riding I do now. (Which is far less racing and more of what the mags would call ‘trail’ riding. Just normal riding really!)

If I was still doing a lot of racing I wouldn’t necessarily buy any steel framed bike – the extra couple of pounds would bother the weight weenie side of my mind – but I have done a few enduros and a 12 hour solo on it without any issues.

I haven’t had any serious problems with it at all. I’ll be changing the transmission to SRAM soon, the wheelset, brakes and saddle, seatpost, bars and stem have all been changed, so mine is bit lighter than the original. The frame is good and worth upgrading.

All in all, if you can get a decently priced one, I’d completely recommend it.

deep_river
    Free Member

cheers all

deep_river
    Free Member

bump

deep_river
    Free Member

The other thing that worries me about them is the lack of a replacable dropout
    ????

Jason
    Free Member

I have had one for a few years. One of the original silver 853 framed ones. It is a great frame. I have used it for all sorts. It has done a couple of 12hr solo races, 24hr team races, several xc races, Welsh trail centres, Lakes etc.

The comments above about the weight all correct. As steel frames go it isn’t too heavy, but is still heavier than alu/carbon offerings. Mine seemed to end up with lighter and lighter components, in the end they didn’t really seem to suit the frame. I managed to get a good deal on a carbon Scott Scale and swapped all the lighter bits onto the carbon frame to use as a xc bike. I then built the Genesis up as a more do it all bike – it even gets used for towing my son on his trailer bike.

I wouldn’t worry about the mech hanger, you are unlikely to bend it, and if you ever did they can be bent back fairly easily.

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve got one, an 853 steel frame which I built up into a custom spec bike, from 2008. Not that a huge amount has changed until the 2011 model so I understand.

Anyway, I love it! Not sure I’d chose it as an endurance XC and Marathon race bike if I could only have one bike (I’d have a lightweight full sus like a Giant Anthem X for that kind of thing, or indeed, my Maverick Durance!), but for an allround trail riding bike, it’s hard to beat. It’s very much like a Cotic Soul, but without the cache I suppose, similar geometry, same material, very nearly the same weight.

Lack of replaceable dropout isn’t so much an issue, it’s steel, you can repair it if needs be. But run a new skool Shimano rear Shadow style rear mech, and you’re never likely to bend a mech hanger anyway.

I’ve got mine built up with 130mm Revelations (probably going to shorten them to 120mm, this seems about ideal for the frame), Hope Pro2’s on Stans 355’s, SLX/XT mix, Easton Carbon Bars, Thomson Stem and Post etc. So as you can see, reasonably light, but all very strong kit. It comes in at about 26lb including pedals, with relatively light tyres on. I could lose 2-3lb if I threw money at it I’m sure, but I want to ride this bike, not mince on it if you get me!

Highly recommended bike though. For longer, all day or marathon type stuff I’d always chose a full sus out of preference, but for shorter sub 4 hour kind of rides, the Genesis is king.

packer
    Free Member

Great bikes. Shame they’ve put those minging 44mm head tubes on them this year – looks awful!

deep_river
    Free Member

cheers all

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Got the Latitude frame recently and i’ve ridden it twice, so far a very nice bike. It just feels right. I don’t think you’ll be disapointed if you get one.

I won’t be using it to race or do marathons on, I’ve gt a short travel full suss for that but as a general XC bike it’s great. If you’ve done a race\marathon before you’ll have seen people on all sorts of wierd and wonderfull bikes so the Genesis will cope with anything.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Altitude 20’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts