Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Generation Kill – anyone know whats going on?
  • andy_hew
    Free Member

Watching this on Channel 4 at the moment. I've got to say that I love it, as with the Wire its head and shoulders above anything thing else in terms of realism, dialogue and characterisation

Now I know from watching the Wire that after a while things drop into place and the viewer is rewarded for their patience, but I've got to say after 4 episodes I still haven’t got a clue what is going on.

Any Generation Kill veterans out there to reassure me that things get easier soon?

Sorry wrong forum

grumm
    Free Member

Hi Andy,

It doesn't really get any easier I'm afraid – I'm going to watch it again to see if anything more sinks in. I really enjoyed it but I think maybe it just is quite confusing, reflecting the reality of the situation. Might be wrong though!

crotchrocket
    Free Member

The general theme is "US army go to other side of world & marvel at the morons in charge and how 1 or 2 talented individuals are consistantly ignored and feel powerless within the war machine to put things right"

Lets bomb some more women and children. Captain america is a liability. The commander just gave a stupid order & called in an artillery strike "danger close" etc etc etc.

Load of HBO tat (which is why it's on so bloody late) imho

HTH

5thElefant
    Free Member

I think the whole point of it is that it's random, pointless and there's no logical thread to what's happening.

Tour of Duty was better (although I was always drunk when it was on which might have helped).

BlingBling
    Free Member

I really wanted to like GK but got bored after a few episodes and stopped.

DezB
    Free Member

Was very confused by the first 2 but really getting into it now.
    What's going on? The Yanks are trying to liberate Iraq. You expect that to be straightforward? 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Read the book it is excellent.

Jamie
    Free Member

I watched this when it aired in the states earlier in the year. I had to keep stopping and re-watching bits as otherwise i would have felt a bit lost. Someone poncier than myself would say it was meant to be one big non-sequitur to mirror the illogical acts they were having to undertake,

Never found the wire as bad as it goes.

elliptic
    Free Member

Evan Wright's original articles for Rolling Stone are worth reading – the series is remarkably faithful to them, but they do give a bit more context within the campaign generally and help with understanding who's who in the unit.

FuzzyWuzzy

Can't say it's hard to follow (watched it a while ago on FX), it jumps around a bit but it's generally just following the progress of a unit during the 2nd gulf war. I quite enjoyed it although I though Overthere was better.

davidrussell
    Free Member

+1 for reading the book first, twill make a lot more sense that way.

D0NK

I still haven’t got a clue what is going on.

I didn't think there was anything going on, just a snap shot of what happened in gulf war 2*
    Superb tho I think, might read the book, the book is always better (had never heard of it before I saw the programme)

*no doubt with an excessive amount of artistic license (i.e. made up completely)

steviegil
    Free Member

Im enjoying it so far and i have just bought the book to read 🙂

damitamit
    Free Member

we're oscar mike!

hosepipe
    Free Member

that new sci-fi drama is boring

BigJohn

I once read "Cloud Atlas" and was so confused I thought of posting on here to find what it was all about. Wish I had now, this place certainly has an answer for everything.

Not always the right one, but an answer nevertheless.

andy_hew
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies

Link to the original articles is really useful as it provides a bit of context as to what is going on and an understanding to the characters, something I really struggle with.

Although it is hard work there really are some cracking moments – godfather with is cancerous voice only referring to himself in the third person, Person and his constant ramblings, bursting into song to relieve the boredom – loving you was particularly good. The scene last night with the marines doing different voices as they watched Mish the translator and the lieutenant talking to an Iraqi was brilliant

Think I'll get the book too

Big John – I'm with you with Cloud Atlas too undoubtedly worthy of a seperate thread I think

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Generation Kill – anyone know whats going on?’ is closed to new replies.