Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Geeky camera Q
  • aviemoron
    Free Member

Ok, have had a clear out of all my old camera kit and now I need a new camera. Thing is with the funds I’ve raised from selling everything I could buy what I had initially thought of which is a D300 (had been using a D200) and a nice fast wide zoom, I tend to shoot in the woods, or……… do I go mad and buy a D700(!) which would only leave me with funds at the moment to stick a fast prime 50mm on. Kinda thinking with this money, maybe now is the time to jump to ff, shoot with the 50mm for a few months, then buy a 14-24 when the next chunk of money is free *cough*
    Head says D300 + nice fast wide, heart says D700 + 50mm and save for ff lenses…….
    Oh, and I won’t be biking with either.

stumpy01

Not wanting to add more confusion, but have you considered the new D7000?

Preview here: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/NikonD7000/

It’s supposed to outgun the D300 in several areas.

D700 is meant to be good though……good luck deciding!

grumm
    Free Member

The D700 is a couple of years old now – and supposedly the new D7000 has comparable high ISO performance despite the smaller sensor.

If you can’t afford to spend lots on lenses then I don’t see the point in going full frame really.

14mm is WWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDE on full frame too – do you really need that wide?

MrSmith
    Free Member

full frame.
    those mickey mouse small format cameras are horrible to look through. it’s like looking down a bog-roll tube to see the viewfinder. full frame viewfinders are bigger and brighter.

user-removed
    Free Member

TBH, I’ll probably end up going full frame when the business can afford it. In the meantime though, a pair of D300s works well for me – low light noise just isn’t a problem any more – software has solved the (not very bad) problem.

I’d recommend a D300 and good glass – the D700(0!) won’t really give you anything that a D300 and top-notch lenses can’t – perhaps a 17-55 f2.8 and a superwide prime? And don’t forget your strobes and triggers if you’re shooting in dark woods….

EDIT: Oh, and there are light years of difference between the D200 and 300 in terms of high ISO quality / lack of noise – I really was blown away.

grumm
    Free Member

The D7000 is meant to have significantly better high iso performance than the D300s, which is in turn better than the D300 – and will cost about the same as a D300. Plus you get full 1080p HD – dual card slots – more MPs (which can be useful if you like to crop for composition).

stumpy01

What he said ^^^^^^ + more.

See the preview I linked to. It looks quite nice. My D80 is starting to become old hat already! 🙁

binno
    Free Member

full frame – without question, you can actually focus my hand on FF vs Crop. Get a quality F 1.2 etc… lens and marvel at the depth if field and immense IQ – the zoom will never match it.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Ah the bliss of having to decide which “nice to have” item to buy next.

I remember those days, when I had a regular income.

Conversely, life is a lot simpler when you have more clarity in your life brought about by limited funds.

The other advantage is that you don’t end up with a drawer full of expensive, but redundant obsolete gadgets!

No more Bleeding Edge syndrome!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Geeky camera Q’ is closed to new replies.