Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Gay footbalers, bbc 3 monday 21.00
  • project
    Free Member

Following on from the Emnz thread,about Homophoboia and her experiences, programe on BBC 3 tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01bncfg

and i cant stand football, but will be watching to gain an insight into why certain members of the population like to watch fit young men ruuning round a field, kicking a ball and hugging and kissing each other, then swopping shirts, and jumping in a bath together, then scream abuse at gay people for their sexuality, something they cant help.

Jamie
    Free Member

hugging and kissing each other, then swopping shirts, and jumping in a bath together

I must be watching the wrong games.

project
    Free Member

or is that me stereo typing footballers…….. 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

TBH Im really not interested in someone’s sexual orientation whatsoever. It makes no difference on a day to day basis to anyone but themselves and I fail to see why something so private needs to worn like a badge of honour. 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

its tragic that Justin Fashnau is still the only player to come out whilst playing and look what happened to him and hwo he was treated [ his own brother included]
    Is it any wonder no one says anything. 😥

It is tragic that no high standing player has come out but I can see why

Only 5- 10 years ago Graham le Suax was being targetted with gay rumours [ married with kids] for which the evidence was thus
    !. He read the guardian
    2. he did not go clothes shopping with the rest of the squad in milan he went to an art gallery
    3. he went camping with 2 males friendsa and they shared a tent

Targetted by players [ Robbie fowler ] and supporters alike

Football has made great efforts over racism and this should be tackled with the same fervour…I wont hold my breath

joao3v16
    Free Member

TBH Im really not interested in someone’s sexual orientation whatsoever. It makes no difference on a day to day basis to anyone but themselves and I fail to see why something so private needs to worn like a badge of honour

True, however people with a high public/media profile are in a privileged position where they have the opportunity to influence wider society.

Of course, it should be their choice, not an obligation.

It’s not the be-all and end-all, but it can certainly help.

theflatboy
    Free Member

it won’t be a very long programme, as there clearly aren’t any gay footballers. 😕

AdamW
    Free Member

TBH Im really not interested in someone’s sexual orientation whatsoever. It makes no difference on a day to day basis to anyone but themselves and I fail to see why something so private needs to worn like a badge of honour.

Yeah, I agree. So please don’t get all loud and proud you lot when you have kids and I’m sure bigyinn will agree. It’s a private thing that makes no difference on a day-to-day basis and shouldn’t be worn as a badge of honour.

binners

The thing is Junkyard, Graham le Suax came out of that whole situation looking like a thoughtful intelligent bloke. As this is what he is.

Robbie Fowler also came out of looking like what he actually is – a nasty little thug.

The trouble is, that as John Terry has constantly proved through his career, nasty little thugs are not just tolerated in football, but encouraged. Depressingly, I can’t see it changing any time soon

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yeah, I agree. So please don’t get all loud and proud you lot when you have kids and I’m sure bigyinn will agree. It’s a private thing that makes no difference on a day-to-day basis and shouldn’t be worn as a badge of honour.

You mean mean gay couples can’t adopt / have surrogate babies?
    Thats outrageous!

BigJohn

It is very unfair on children to be adopted by two males. It means they can never get a credit card, bank account, mobile phone, or in fact anything that involves having to quote their mother’s maiden name.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Footballers must all be gay – it is called Wendyball by people on here after all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆 @ adamW – all these I taught my kid to ride thread filthy dirty breeders flaunting their ways ..always in public weithe thier kids too shwoing they have had sex with eac other Disgusting.

Aye Binners Terry what a disgrace- imagine being expected to shake hands with the person up in court for racially abusing you and he still gets to captain the country…only in football.
    Imagine wanting these people as role models for your kids 😯

reedspeed
    Free Member

The sports full of them im sure! ,corruptions the biggest problem !

grum
    Free Member

AdamW – nicely done 😆

AdamW
    Free Member

You mean mean gay couples can’t adopt / have surrogate babies?
    Thats outrageous!

Think that’s more recent, but point taken. Remember the catholic adoption agencies that demanded they could discriminate because of the evils of homosexuality according to that Jesus chap (who said nothing about the subject)?

The really weird thing is that for some reason the last six months I’ve been feeling as if I want kids and I have absolutely no idea why! 😀 😕 ❓

nsdog
    Free Member

TBH Im really not interested in someone’s sexual orientation whatsoever. It makes no difference on a day to day basis to anyone but themselves and I fail to see why something so private needs to worn like a badge of honour.

Exactly, it’s like judging people on whether they like marmalade or honey on their toast.

project
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

so wtf, do most men, always make a point of saying theyre married, or got a girlfreind, ive got a cat, but dont tell everyone i meet ive got a cat.

LOL.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Do they? I dont! If someone asks i’ll tell them though. I used to have a cat until we had to have it put down on new years eve. 😥
    Perhaps im just a homophobe, but I really dont care (not in a nasty way, im genuinely not bothered / interested).
    If you’re getting love and respect from someone else does it really matter what sex they are?

AdamW
    Free Member

I think it depends, bigyinn. I tend to be a bit sensitive about this subject when I’ve been told in the past that even mentioning MrAdamW in any way is “shoving my lifestyle” in people’s faces.

I tend to talk about MrAdamW because (a) we do stuff together and (b) I love him, so when producing anecdotes he tends to be a part of that.

If people just accept two people being together, regardless of sex, then there’s no problem.

PJM1974
    Free Member

To some extent I agree with bigyinn – a person’s sexual preference is a non-issue in terms of whether or not I approve of them as a human being.

Half of my department at work are gay. We all go out and socialize as a team and we all discuss things that are going on in our social lives without any embarrassment which is exactly as it should be. I don’t look at my colleagues and think “he’s gay, she’s straight etc”, for the most part they’re friends too.

On the other hand, some of the more macho sports out there could really do with some honest self-appraisal from the participants – Formula One and Football especially. I don’t like the idea of gay people feeling marginalised because of something that really shouldn’t be an issue for debate.

bigyinn
    Free Member

AdamW, if people take issue with you mentioning MrAdamW, then that’s their problem, not yours.
    If people reacted the same way if you mentioned that your partner was black for example, they’d rightly be branded a racist.
    Probably they older generations may find things a little harder to accept, purely because of the stigma (at the time) associated with being gay etc. The world moves on….
    However football seems to me to be associated mainly with the british equivalent of “rednecks”, so what chance do those who are gay in the sport stand??

zokes
    Free Member

The world cup on Qatar will be interesting then…

AdamW
    Free Member

Colleague here is going to Dubai in a few weeks with his family (wife and two young boys). I’m actually scared of going abroad to such a place, especially those with strong religion. I can just imagine someone saying “Ah! AdamW is on the plane! Start building the wall/scaffolding/plug in the chair! etc.”.

Without bringing up Emsz’s thread (cos she’s nice 😀 ) it is a pain to be scared of doing what most people consider as OK, and scary as hell to be considered illegal for just existing!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I briefly read emsz’s thread and thought it was disgusting that anyone would consider spitting on a LADY in any way acceptable!

D0NK

disgusting that anyone would consider spitting on a LADY

sexist
    (insert half a smiley coz I’m half joking)

Didn’t want to say on emsz’s thread cos it was somewhat OT, but even in this (mainly) enlightened place there still seems to be something worse about stuff happening to women. I’d consider it equally disgusting someone spitting on or hitting (also mentioned) a bloke.

Back OT will be watching this, when I was younger I didn’t have any issues with it but I used to wonder what the big thing about gay pride marches and other “shoving it in our faces” stuff was. (as far as I know) It’s not about shouting to everyone that you’re gay it’s about being able to (if so inclined) reveal that fact to other people without getting treated any differently for it. And if influential people (and footballers are in this class) can come out with no associated problems then that makes it easier for “normal” people and if footballers feel they can’t then the reverse will probably have some effect.

enfht
    Free Member

Aren’t ALL footballers gaylords?

nsdog
    Free Member

There was an excellent article in the Guardian about 10 years ago over the practise of “roasting” which seemed to be a trend among footballers, and how it was really about unexpressed love for each other with the “roastee” as a prophylactic between them to prevent the perceived reputation damage due to any revelations about man love. If true it would seem there are many more gay men in sport than is revealed. TBH there must be as iirc the percentage of “out” homosexuals in society is much greater then the percentage among public figures.

Hopefully this will normalise as the unenlightened are drummed out and eukated, 😆
    This would lead to more people having the courage to just be who they want to be rather than being afraid of societies perceptions.

scruff
    Free Member

In a pub toilet soemone once asked me about some football game, I told him I had no idea as I wasnt into football, he then asked me ‘if I was gay ?’. I was mid flow so did some piss on his stupid **** shoes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What Donk said that should be a sticky for every time somone says something about them shoving it in your face/flaunting it.

nsdog
    Free Member

Here it is, written after the Grosvenor House Hotel incident in 2003. What footballers really want: Each other!

bigyinn
    Free Member

D0NK – Member

sexist
    (insert half a smiley coz I’m half joking)
    DONK, Perhaps im being slightly slow, but how is that sexist??

mk1fan
    Free Member

nsdog – Member

Exactly, it’s like judging people on whether they like marmalade or honey on their toast.

Toast! You disgusting, un-natural freak! If you must, do it in private but don’t embarass the Forum.

D0NK

Lady in caps presumably intoning that it was more abhorrent than if it was done to a man which is treating ladies and gents differently based on their sex. Over analysing maybe but I did give you half a smiley
    Here have a full one 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

What men to do each other is bad enough, but spitting at the opposite sex is pretty abhorrent. I realise im probably being old fashioned given a woman was being spat at, but I guess if you asked most people which was worse, a man spitting at another man or a man spitting at a women, most poeple would say the latter was worse.
    Anyway the point being its disgusting regardless, just because a couple were holding hands.
    Thanks for the smiley, after the afternoon I’ve had i need it. 😥

Junkyard
    Free Member

I was going to add something but on reflecton have a smiley and man hug [ if needed] as you seem to have had a bad day

😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thanks JY, man hug accepted and reciprocated. Day improved.

teasel
    Free Member

I guess if you asked most people which was worse, a man spitting at another man or a man spitting at a women, most poeple would say the latter was worse.

I wouldn’t. To do so would display sexism whether or not it’s consciously done or not.

Anyway the point being its disgusting regardless

But you already know that by stating the above and I agree, it’s disgusting and totally unacceptable in any instance.

Day improved

I hope my post doesn’t ruin that for you, merely pointing out a very prevelent attitude.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Not ruined, just making me think about whether my own perceptions need to be adjusted a bit. No bad thing to review ones position from time to time.

teasel
    Free Member

Indeed. Like I say, you’re not alone, it’s a fundamental flaw at the present time; women should be treated with more care than men. Maybe it’s a follow-on from misunderstood chivalry or something, I don’t know.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Gay footbalers, bbc 3 monday 21.00’ is closed to new replies.