Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Gawton and Tavistock woods
  • mattamomo
    Free Member

I am thinking of going up there this weekend (Boredoms getting the better of me) but I am looking for a few answers.
    Firstly how are the two places, can a beginner progress there? And how close is Gawton and Tavistock woods? (Can I just ride my bike from one to the other)
    And finally where would I rent a bike there as I am without a bike at the minute?
    Cheers

LoCo
    Free Member
    jam-bo

Gawton and Woodlands are about 3 miles apart. easily rideable even on a DH bike.

You need to be a member or have a day ticket.

HSD at gawton is relatively easy. Egypt and Super-Tavi are significantly harder. Track 4 isnt open yet.

Plenty of easier tracks at Tavi Woodlands, generally they get progressively harder/steeper as you move into the woods across the hill.

Dartmoor cycles have a demo fleet, you may be able to sort something out with them while you buy your day pass/membership.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Gawton is not what I would could a beginners paradise. Of the three tracks there, HSD is the most accessible but bear in mind that it’s still a DH track; it’s a very (very) long way from a green or blue graded Forrestry Commission trail. That said, anyone with a reasonable amount of experience riding MTBs should be OK – think of it as a perfect for a beginner to DH but not a beginner to MTBs. The gradient is never very steep and the challenge is more likely to be the condition of the track as it can get choppy in parts. It is a great track to ride a hard tail on for example.

The other two tracks are excellent but definitely not what I would call ‘beginners tracks’ in any sense of the word. Super Tavi has some tricky sections, notably about half way down there are a seriest of steep switch backs and the last section through the trees is pretty tricky, more so in the wet.

Egypt is really tough, especially in the middle section where you have lots of fast off camber root sections and then the rock garden, which really is quite tricky (I stopped riding/racing DH a few years ago and never managed to clean that section).

Tavi Woods is a great place to learn DH and none of the tracks I’ve ridden there present particularly difficult challenges but a) I’ve not ridden everything and b) it’s very much a ‘work in progress’ kind of place so there may be a lot more that’s appeared recently.

It would be a much better place for a beginner to DH, though maybe still not a beginner to MTBs in general. You could ride from Gawton to Tavi Woods; it would probably take 30 minutes from memory, maybe less. Finding it would be another challenge as it’s tucked away on the side of a hill, down a track that leads off from an old tin mine; it would be pretty easy to get lost. You also have to push up there.

Of the two places, Tavi Woods is definitely the more ‘messing around in the woods’ place – a lot like Forrest of Dean but much better IMO. Gawton is a DH centre through and through.

mattamomo
    Free Member

Well I would not consider myself new to MTB, I am confident on tricky terrain and speeding over rocks/roots on my local area I ride in. I have been to a Dartmoor XC/downhill trail. Would starting at Tavistock woods then trying out the trails at Gawton be ok, bearing in mind I don’t really mind falling off or pushing myself.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ll be fine at either but that you may enjoy Tavi Woods more.

As for falling off, I really wouldn’t be too prepared to do that, certainly not at Gawton. The ground is not loamy soil; for the most part it’s loose over hard pack and rock and you could easily end up hurting yourself. A full face helmet is a must IMO as would be at least a spine gaurd if not full body armour.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Gawton and Tavistock woods’ is closed to new replies.