Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 2012 XT bleeding question
  • steviepcommencal
    Free Member

I have just received my new 2012 XT brakes and am doing the change over of hoses as I bought them from Rose, I have cocked it up!!

I dont have the funnel that Shimano suggests but just wondered if you can bleed them like older brakes ie, put a little oil in the resevoir, press lever, open bleed nipple? or do you need the funnel?

Cheers!!

alfabus
    Free Member

you don’t have easy access to the reservoir – that is what the funnel is for.

mttm
    Free Member

You need the funnel – it acts as an external reservoir while you’re bleeding. They’re in stock on CRC:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34710

MrTall
    Free Member

I’ve got the same brakes sat in the garage awaiting my mate to come and swap them over for me as i’m sure i’d cock it up despite it being a fairly simple operation.

I bought the bleed bucket from my LBS for £3 so i’m sure they are easily available. LBS mechanic told me he thinks it would be very hard to bleed them without the bleed bucket.

Bit of an annoyance really and add that to the fact they new XT take different pads to all the other Shimano brakes i run. Still looking forward to getting them on the bike though.

alex222
    Free Member

can’t you just bleed from the caliper. ie undo bleed bolt pump fluid into bleed nipple?

MS
    Free Member

Buy a syringe from ebay and the small bit of clear tube that u need usually for bleeding.

Take the screw out from the reservoir and turn the lever so it sits level. I put a bucket underneath then, to catch the fluid. Then fill up the syringe, attach the clear tube, then attach that to the calliper bleed nipple. Open the bleed nipple and force the fluid through so it comes out the lever reservoir. Do this until no bubbles are coming through then tighten the bleed nipple.

Put the screw back in the lever and pump it a few times.

Job done!

Simple and fast way to bleed brakes! have just done that to the same XT brakes a few weekends ago…

mrplow
    Free Member

I used 2 20ml syringes. One with tubing from pets at home for aquarium air hose as recommended on here.

Easiest to remove brake from bike and have vertical with lever unit at top and caliper at bottom. I attached to an old set of handlebars to keep the lever unit at the right angle. Remove the pads and put the yellow block in their place.

Put tubing on one syringe, fill with oil and purge out any air bubbles from the syringe/tube. Then attach to caliper bleed nipple. A tip is top put a spare olive or small cable tie around the tube at the bleed nipple to hold it on as it could get popped off with the force of pumping through the system.
    Open reservoir and remove screw. Lightly screw the other syringe into the resevoir opening thread.
    Open the bleed nipple on caliper with the tube and oil filled syring attached. Pump oil up through the brake system. You can faff around here tapping hoses etc to move any air bubbles up the system. Check for oil flow into the empty syringe and pump until no air bubbles are coming through.

You could probably stop at this point. Tighten bleed nipple on caliper and remove syringe and tube. Remove syringe from resevoir. Pump the lever slowly a few times to see if any small bubbles rise to the top. Drop a few extra drops of oil in there so that it is filled right to the top. Put screw back in and job jobbed.

If you want to be super an4l then you can attach an oil filled syringe with the plunger removed to the open resevoir and use it as a hopper to pump through the system using the lever. I have not had to do this. My brakes have been solid and consistant with the lazy method but only been on the bike a short while.

In use the brakes are absoulte class so far. Tons of power and feel.

Don’t be scared of having a shot yourself as there is little to break and you will only learn more about maintaining your bike. Do it in a tidy area if you are ham fisted and drop screws etc. :mrgreen:

steviepcommencal
    Free Member

Awesome, cheers guys

Got a ride this eveing so wanted to get it sorted today

Thanks again!!

jruk
    Free Member

Go to Pets at Home (other vets are available) and ask them for a syringe. I got two for 67p. Take the plunger bit out and you have your very own funnely thing so you can bleed from the caliper.

You need to be careful when you take it out so that you don’t poor oil everywhere but it’s pretty easy. Put a few drops of oil into the screw hole so it’s full then put the screw back in (this will stop air getting in).

I’ve trimmed and bled my XTs and they’re awesome.

Edit: beaten to it…

steviepcommencal
    Free Member

Just so im sure, does the syringe have ubing with a threaded insert in the end so you can screw it into the lever bleed thread?

jruk
    Free Member

The syringe I used isn’t threaded but is pretty soft plastic so it moulds and stays tight. There’s a really good vid on Youtube of this method – think it’s for XTRs but the principle carries.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5b8NM4jVU[/video]

steviepcommencal
    Free Member

brilliant, cheers!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘2012 XT bleeding question’ is closed to new replies.