Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Garmins???
  • Butterfly2346
    Free Member

Bit confused as to which one to get?

I really only want it for GPS and maps.

What would you get to discover new trails?

snaps
    Free Member

Garmin Oregon with OS mapping works well for me.

Butterfly2346
    Free Member

Which Oregon?

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve got a 300 but the basic mapping functions are similar across the range.

Butterfly2346
    Free Member

Can you use OS maps with, that probably sounds a silly question?

atlaz
    Free Member

Oddly I’ve been looking in the opposite direction at either the Edge500 or the Forerunner305 for just mapping where I’ve been, speed etc.

Butterfly2346
    Free Member

But what are you using it for?

@snaps – what is the mounting bracket like?

snaps
    Free Member

Yes you buy OS mapping from Garmin & the mount is good but can rotate around the bars on rocky decents.
    http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/
    Map detail here http://gbr.garmin.com/on-the-trail/

atlaz
    Free Member

Butterfly – For me I just want a “computer” to record where I’ve been, cadence, HR etc. I’ve got an eTrex Vista I use for loading routes onto and navigating roads but it doesn’t allow speed/cadence/hr addons.

plodtv
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the edge 800 with the os maps, but still undecided.

Bullet

I’ve got an Edge 605 which does all the distance, av speed etc + cadence if you get the right extra bits. Works well and although the base map it comes loaded with is rubbish this – http://www.mapomatic.net/garmin-maps-download/ solves that problem for free 🙂

abductee
    Free Member

Dakota 20

20 has a micro SD card for the maps the 10 has internal memory only. It will work with the OSM maps and you can get small custom maps from Mobile atlas creator but the GB discoverer 50k is better

Coleman
    Free Member

Recently got an Edge 800 with the 1:50k GB Discovery bundle.
    So far very pleased, but it’s my first bike GPS, so probably not best qualified on the pro’s & con’s of other systems.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

I bought a Bryton Rider 50

Bryton Sport

Very Impressed and £170 at wiggle.

Coming with Navteq HD mapping

Upload/download GPX through usual sites

HRM/Cadence etc

allmountainventure
    Free Member

+1 dakota 20

big_scot_nanny

Other people have posted this on other threads, so i’m just passing on this recommendation, but rather than paying a fortune for maps, why not give openmtbmaps a crack?

I’ve just downloaded CH, DE and France, converted them, stuck them in base camp then loaded them onto my 800. Seem really good, based on openstreetmaps which I find incredibly useful on the iPhone for Mtb ing as they have more trails than ‘proper’ maps, so just experimenting with them on my new 800. Impressed so far.

HTH!

Kev

Mark78
    Free Member

I have a garmin 450 with 1:50k maps of great Britain.

It works great, the 450 has an electronic compass which comes in handy at times.

The best thing I think is the fact that it takes AA batteries, so many of the other makes don’t and therefore limit you to how long you can use it. Where as you can just carry a spare pair of AA for the Garmin. The battery life is pretty good too.

I brought the maps on a memory card, which is fine. However I would of like to put a much larger memory card in so that if I ever go elsewhere I can just add the maps for that area to the memory card. But the maps are locked to the memory card.
    Worth mentioning as if they do the dvd version you could buy a large capacity SD card for your unit and just keep adding rather than swapping them around.

Dogsby

Kev,

Cheers for the advice on the mapping. How do you upload the mapping from Basemap to your 800? I have managed to dowmload the FR map and plan a route but am having trouble with getting the map onto my device.

Cheers

Dogsby

trickydisco
    Free Member

Recently got an Edge 800 with the 1:50k GB Discovery bundle.
    So far very pleased, but it’s my first bike GPS, so probably not best qualified on the pro’s & con’s of other systems.

+1

Had mine a few months now and love it.

big_scot_nanny

dogsby, bearing in mind I am on a mac, so YMMV.

I was also really stumped with this. Basically, dead easy. when i installed basecamp it alse installed a program called Garmin mapinstall (IIRC, not at home right now). So, with a 4gb micro SD in the 800, and with it connected the computer, start mapinstall, choose the SD card rather the 800 at the first drop down, then select the tiles you want to install. Voila!

As i had plenty of space on the SD card, easiest way to select the whole country was to zoom out of the map in mapinstall until you can see all the tiles, then drag over whole map, hit the button, and bob’s your uncle.

HTH!

Kev

milkman100
    Free Member

I bought an edge 800 about xmas, the manual is a bit rubbish so its a bit trial and error getting used to it, what I do like is downloading other peoples routes and giving them ago, I bought it with the o/s maps inc,its great but it only shows you what a map would show you but for me i like that just decided where you want to go and follow the nearest avalible path not always great but you can end up finding some good routes

I havent had a garmin before but I wouldn be with out it now, for me a fab bit of kit, but a tad expensive

hope this helps

OCB
    Free Member

I’ve always had GPSr’s from the ’76’ series of receivers, but I’ll be going for a 62st next. Bit big for a cycle computer I grant you, but I do other things with my GPSr’s, and I like that big helix antenna in the 6n chassis – should help with improving the reception potential in deep valleys (including those created by city buildings), and under tree cover.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

+1 Dakota 10

I use it with free openstreetmap. I also upload my routes to here so they are available for others at the next regular update

Dogsby

Kev,

I have downloaded the maps and uploaded them onto my 800 and all looks good. Will try them out for real on the road this week. Thanks for all of the help.

Dogsby

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Garmins???’ is closed to new replies.